Amplifier Problems

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

neojin

Club Guest
hi guys.well i just spent 3 days in the accesories workshop trying to fix up my system. At first they told me my cross over doesnt work. then my speakers. then my cd player. then my amp. all these were from my previous car working PERFECTLY fine. so after i bought a new player and so on, it didnt work as well and later found out that it was wiring problems (after using their own stuff and didnt work as well). so it is FINALLY done. however now the amplifier cuts off after a certain period of time. may vary from 10 mins to 20 mins. I dont really know what is happening as even at times when the volume is low it cuts off. they tell me its my amp problem. I dont really trust them anymore. I dont want to buy another amp finding out it doesnt work either. Hmm....so is it due to lack of power or do you guys think there is some problems with the wiring instead? I'm kinda upset with the installation to be frank. Any other reccomendations where I can do up my ICE would be great as well. Cheers!

It would help if you could post your setup.

From your description, one of the possible problem is that you amp is overheating. This is usually caused by an internal malfunction or by a lack of ventilation (cooling). Amps runs hot so they generally have an built-in overheat protection where the power will be cut off and comes back on when it has cooled down enough.

But the best is to go to another installer and he will slowly eliminate the problem by detecting which component of the system where the signal is not going thru.

saat is right. Your amp is probably over heating. Where is the amp mounted -under the front seat or in the boot??

My guess is either the placement of the amp ... lack of ventilation and heat dispersement can cause havoc to any amp ... even those with built in fan cooling or it could even be down to just wiring. Plus, I don't think there's any space under our seats for amp mounting ... ideally it shud be in the boot.

Neway, let us know what's in the car and where they are ... it wud be easier for us to atleast identify some probable cause but Saat is right ... either get your current installer to fix the problem or look elsewhere to someone who really knows what he's doing. In general, M'sian installers are not exactly the most helpful or genuine ones at times .... with the exception of a handful who have carved a solid reputation with their customers over the years.

VaN.

Good point Van, the overheating could have been caused by a lack of ventilation causing poor heat dissipation which in is a result of poor placement.

The other possible cause is an internal malfunction that has caused a excessive heat buildup which can be repaired or a faulty temp sensing circuit which may be a little more difficult to repair.

There was once a case where we found that it was the power connector on the amp that was causing the problem.

But all these are guesswork really. Post your setup and we can point ypu in the most obvious direction.

hi guys

i have been out station and just got back. well the amp is in my boot now. connected through the rear output of my kenwood cd player. it is a 4 channel amp where 2 channels connect to the subwoofer and 2 channels to the front component set(prokick) consists of tweets and front. the rear ori's are connected to the front output of the player. the weird thing is one the power cuts off, when i crank up the volume to the highest, i can hear very soft volume coming out from the tweets.hmph.help!i'm getting aggravated by the cut off annoyance. btw when i switch off the player and on it again, the amp sometimes works sometimes not. it last approx only 10 mins. damnit.

Top Bottom