Alternator or battery problem?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

baoguan

Club Guest
Hello, although my story seems a bit long, I want to make everything clear and therefore it will be easier for all the experts here to help me.I bought this E36 328i year 1997 in Feb 09. For the first two weeks, the car seemed perfect. One day, when I was at a junction, the airbag light came on. 1 minute later, aircon not cool enough, brake pad warning light, ASC+T light all came on. At the traffic light, although I released the brake pedal, the car won't move forward. I suspected the brake pads were all engaged tightly. Therefore, I parked the car and off the engine. 10 minutes later, I turned on the engine and everything went back to normal. (This is the reset mode, right?)2nd day morning, I drove the car as usual. Suddenly the car stopped in front of the traffic light. No battery power at all. cannot start, engine won't crank. Some truck driver helped me to push the car to the side of the road. Waited 5 minutes and started the car, everything went back to normal. Straight away went to the workshop. Mechanic suspected that the alternator was in a bad shape, recommended me to change to a refurbish one. Sure I did.Changed the alternator and went to Las Vegas for 3 weeks, no one drove my car. When I came back, started the car, no problem at all. Went back to Johor, no problem. On my way back to KL, the battery warning light was on for the whole trip. Reached home, cannot start the engine. Mechanic jumped it and took it back to the workshop. After a thorough inspection, couldn't find anything at all.Yesterday, the battery light came on again. Sent the car to the tire shop and recharge the battery. So far until now, no problem. Throughout this whole incident for the past few months, the alarm came on occasionally for a 30-second cycle, wonder why. It even woke up my grandpa this morning. So, is there anyone can help me to diiagnose this problem? It is a headache for me because I cannot predict the problem. Suppose to be the alternator again, right? Hope that I still have the warranty from the shop.

Yes, most like the alternator. Your refurbished alternator is the same rating as your original.

Not all refurbish alternator are good. better get it check out again at the workshop.

You can check the condition of the alternator by putting a volt meter across the battery terminal. When you rev the RPM up, the voltage should measure about 13.6 to 14.2 VDC. This is the minimum voltage to charge the battery.

ps.. no need use big fonts.. Most of us here got good eye sight.

The Battery Expert

baoguan;427928 said:
Hello, although my story seems a bit long, I want to make everything clear and therefore it will be easier for all the experts here to help me.
I bought this E36 328i year 1997 in Feb 09. For the first two weeks, the car seemed perfect. One day, when I was at a junction, the airbag light came on. 1 minute later, aircon not cool enough, brake pad warning light, ASC+T light all came on. At the traffic light, although I released the brake pedal, the car won't move forward. I suspected the brake pads were all engaged tightly. Therefore, I parked the car and off the engine. 10 minutes later, I turned on the engine and everything went back to normal. (This is the reset mode, right?)
2nd day morning, I drove the car as usual. Suddenly the car stopped in front of the traffic light. No battery power at all. cannot start, engine won't crank. Some truck driver helped me to push the car to the side of the road. Waited 5 minutes and started the car, everything went back to normal. Straight away went to the workshop. Mechanic suspected that the alternator was in a bad shape, recommended me to change to a refurbish one. Sure I did.
Changed the alternator and went to Las Vegas for 3 weeks, no one drove my car. When I came back, started the car, no problem at all. Went back to Johor, no problem. On my way back to KL, the battery warning light was on for the whole trip. Reached home, cannot start the engine. Mechanic jumped it and took it back to the workshop. After a thorough inspection, couldn't find anything at all.
Yesterday, the battery light came on again. Sent the car to the tire shop and recharge the battery. So far until now, no problem.
Throughout this whole incident for the past few months, the alarm came on occasionally for a 30-second cycle, wonder why. It even woke up my grandpa this morning.
So, is there anyone can help me to diiagnose this problem? It is a headache for me because I cannot predict the problem. Suppose to be the alternator again, right? Hope that I still have the warranty from the shop.

Hi, Bro,

If you need change your battery, we can deliver to your place. We can sell atleast 20% cheaper then retailer. We distribute Varta, Bosch, Century and Cooper battery.

Pls call me at 012-2255152

Hi bro,

I think u need check your electronic wiring. Cos from my expertise in battery; if alternator fail, it wont charge the battery at all, and is impossible u can drive and stop half way and the start again. By the way if your battery is aging, it wont storage the power perfectly. That why 3 weeks never drive your car it wont able to crank.

thanks

:top::top:
sircooper;430373 said:
Hi bro,

I think u need check your electronic wiring. Cos from my expertise in battery; if alternator fail, it wont charge the battery at all, and is impossible u can drive and stop half way and the start again. By the way if your battery is aging, it wont storage the power perfectly. That why 3 weeks never drive your car it wont able to crank.

thanks

HA HA HA HA.....

check your battery, just drain all the fluid from battery and then ask the
workshop mechanic to refill with new electrolite, then recharge for 5-6 hour.
or check voltage regulator???

if not,
you got your ass KICKED, that was full system down,
it could be the BUG suck for long time in the car?,

if we were near,
left the car for me about 1-3 month, pay me the 1-3 month? salary
(labour cost, except vehicle parts),
i will crack/trouble shoot all those error/bug FULL TIME on your car... :34:

alternator ..or battery ...

i would say alternator ....but upon replacing the alternator you must ensure that your battery is charged or changed ( depends ). a new or recond alternator may not be able to charged you drained out battery , if it's being totally out ...

if it is between alternator or battery,

while the engine is running, take out one of the cable from the battery terminal. If the engine died, the alternator kaput, if the engine running, the alternator ok.

But if the battery kaput you can't start the engine but if the engine still running, it shouldn't just stop like that.

Others, try to check your main wire connection. maybe

I replaced the battery with a new MF battery on last Friday evening. Took it out for a ride. Nothing happened. Parked the car over for the weekend. This morning, trying to start the car, battery warning light was on the whole time, although the warning light was dim. I am pretty sure that the problem isn't with the battery. Tried to disconnect the negative end while the engine was running, engine didn't stop. I suppose the alternator is good. So, wonder wehat to do next to troubleshoot this problem? Find a wiring man to check all the wires/connections?

baoguan;431503 said:
I replaced the battery with a new MF battery on last Friday evening. Took it out for a ride. Nothing happened. Parked the car over for the weekend. This morning, trying to start the car, battery warning light was on the whole time, although the warning light was dim. I am pretty sure that the problem isn't with the battery. Tried to disconnect the negative end while the engine was running, engine didn't stop. I suppose the alternator is good. So, wonder wehat to do next to troubleshoot this problem? Find a wiring man to check all the wires/connections?

it's ya alternator ....at times charging and at times not ...this is an intermitent case ...

i went through the same ordeal and upon changing the alternator twice and the problems solved ....why twice ...cuz the replaced alternatory was faulty too ..lasted only 2 weeks

If i'm not mistaken, there is a diode at the alternator regulator that prevent the current to reverse once the engine not running. If this diode "kong" already, it will allow the current to reverse back and drain out the battery.

Hope this help.

I got another suggestion,

Borrow a recond/brand new alternator from your workshop and use it for a week with a condition, if it resolve your problem, buy it, if not return it back and most probably your wiring cause two major factors already been tested; battery and alternator.

Good luck

I noticed that whenever the battery light comes on, if I rev the engine to a higher rpm, say above 5000rpm, the light goes off. Wonder why.

Alternator not enough charging. It need very high rev to supply enough current to the battery

Strider;434113 said:
Alternator not enough charging. It need very high rev to supply enough current to the battery

The alternator output is low due to worn out carbon brush.

Changed my alternator last week. Brand new, with mounting bushings as well. Cost me SGD690, inclusive of labor. Alittle on the high side but i can tell you the difference is very noticable.

The car vibrates less now. The idling is good, the power is also somewhat more smoother. This is, one of my best change.

My old alternator was giving way big time. It was ticking, rattling, making aircraft like noises. Plus the lights on the dash were not as strong as before as well.

Highly recommend to anyone who wants to keep their e36 for some time, change the alternator, its a good investment.

Top Bottom