Alpine White maintenance

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

phantom

Club Guest
Dear Gurus, is Alpine White colour tough to maintain? Will the colour slowly turn to light beige after 5 years?!Thanks in advance!

enkil;470797 said:
so far so good for me..

i thought black was hard to take care but i think white is even tougher....
but when its clean its really shining and make your face glowing.....

when i had an alpine white, it had to be washed every 24 hours and waxed every 2 weeks. otherwise it won't have that fresh from the paintshop look.

too high maintenance for me...after work, i'll be dead tired especially when i'm stuck in the jam...washing at least once a week is fine with me =)

wow...i'm not trying to be stingy or not caring for my car...but RM300 to send to car wash? hahaha...how much is that? 20% of my salary? haha...and i prefer to wash myself...:top:

No worries guys....white its easier to maintain...i used to have ablack & its making me crazy to maintain it neat....

Get hold of ONR (no rinse wash...wash weekly) wax with NXT 2.0 meguiars bi monthly & get an UQD meguiars...detailer to top up the waxes in between of waxes & yr ride will be shining....

white is a great challenge for detailers to maintain but not impossible....

megatnh;470828 said:
i thought black was hard to take care but i think white is even tougher....
but when its clean its really shining and make your face glowing.....

Bro, not so hard to take car lah.... at least you can't really see the swirls on white. Black on the other hand.... but you are right though, most 'white' cars are yellow....

What you need is a good polish and a machine to polish with plus a good wax. Sure ok. If you are fussy maybe need to repeat every 2-3 months but not too hard to do.

seech;471488 said:
Bro, not so hard to take car lah.... at least you can't really see the swirls on white. Black on the other hand.... but you are right though, most 'white' cars are yellow....

What you need is a good polish and a machine to polish with plus a good wax. Sure ok. If you are fussy maybe need to repeat every 2-3 months but not too hard to do.

seech
i normally use ultimate quick wax right after watching the alpine white...to have full wax every quarter is 'malas' la for me....

megatnh;477042 said:
seech
i normally use ultimate quick wax right after watching the alpine white...to have full wax every quarter is 'malas' la for me....

Bro. You need to buy a machine to polish. Much easier. Wax usually has some cleaning power depending on the polishing pad used so if you're not fussy you could get away with using a wax for light cleaning and protection at the same time.

White is probably the hardest to keep clean but black is the worst for swirls.... better buy a gold/brown car. :rolleyes:

seech;477054 said:
Bro. You need to buy a machine to polish. Much easier. Wax usually has some cleaning power depending on the polishing pad used so if you're not fussy you could get away with using a wax for light cleaning and protection at the same time.

White is probably the hardest to keep clean but black is the worst for swirls.... better buy a gold/brown car. :rolleyes:

seech
what machine do u use eh ,meg DA? really easy to use ka...am considering it seriously then....

megatnh;477152 said:
seech
what machine do u use eh ,meg DA? really easy to use ka...am considering it seriously then....

I use the Makita 9227C Rotary Buffer and I also have the Bosch GEX-270AE Random Orbit Buffer. Am also considering the Meg's DA but they have recently released a new version so its probably best to wait until the new version gets here.

If you have not used a machine before then the DA would be best. Fast and easy to use. The locally available ROB's also work but they tend to be a bit slower for polishing as they were originally designed for sanding.

Hope this helps. :top:

seech;477246 said:
I use the Makita 9227C Rotary Buffer and I also have the Bosch GEX-270AE Random Orbit Buffer. Am also considering the Meg's DA but they have recently released a new version so its probably best to wait until the new version gets here.

If you have not used a machine before then the DA would be best. Fast and easy to use. The locally available ROB's also work but they tend to be a bit slower for polishing as they were originally designed for sanding.

Hope this helps. :top:

seech
that really helps! i used to have doubts in using any machine for polishing/waxing as my experiences with the authorized dealer when waxing my car has not been encouraging at all...a lot of swirl marks.

i used to send the car to premium car waxing center and still i come back not a happy man...holograms and swirl marks (after the wax fading off) are visible

thats why i end up in polishing/waxing myself....tiring but much a happy man :love: except when it starts to rain a day after that...............

megatnh;477247 said:
seech
that really helps! i used to have doubts in using any machine for polishing/waxing as my experiences with the authorized dealer when waxing my car has not been encouraging at all...a lot of swirl marks.

i used to send the car to premium car waxing center and still i come back not a happy man...holograms and swirl marks (after the wax fading off) are visible

thats why i end up in polishing/waxing myself....tiring but much a happy man :love: except when it starts to rain a day after that...............

Speaking of bad polishing. A friend polished his car at a so called 'detailer' and this was the result....
2009_12070029.JPG

Posted more pics of this in my blog. http://prodetailing.blogspot.com/2009/12/honda-accord-detailer-installed-swirls.html

Be careful where you send your car..... better still, do it yourself. Most commercial detailers don't take the time to do it properly or don't know how to do it properly especially on black. The swirls need to be removed before waxing otherwise as you said, the swirls will come back when the wax wears off.

seech;477256 said:
Speaking of bad polishing. A friend polished his car at a so called 'detailer' and this was the result....
2009_12070029.JPG

Posted more pics of this in my blog. http://prodetailing.blogspot.com/2009/12/honda-accord-detailer-installed-swirls.html

Be careful where you send your car..... better still, do it yourself. Most commercial detailers don't take the time to do it properly or don't know how to do it properly especially on black. The swirls need to be removed before waxing otherwise as you said, the swirls will come back when the wax wears off.

seech
thats exactly what i have on my previous car...thats why a machine was a no-no for me.....
i presume with the meg DA and done correctly I wont get those swirls eh....

megatnh;477286 said:
seech
thats exactly what i have on my previous car...thats why a machine was a no-no for me.....
i presume with the meg DA and done correctly I wont get those swirls eh....

Actually its not caused by a machine problem as there are many factors to consider. The rotary buffer has the power to correct severe paint defects but if used improperly can result in the buffer trails or hollowgramming you see in the picture.

The DA is much easier to use and less likely to cause such problems but it is also limited by how much it can correct so it depends on what you want to achieve.

I will be working on the car in the picture some time next week. Will post some pics when I'm done. :top:

I wouldn't blame the machine or the products used for that....I'd blame the person using them....

Top Bottom