Alignment, balancing workshop

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

johnchen

Club Guest
Last Sunday afternoon on the way to the KLIA, my iDrive tire puncture warning poped up. That's the first time its happened to me. So I slowed down and turned back since I wasn't far from home in PJ. I was driving at around 120-130 km/h when it happened. No scarry moments. I continue to drive at around 100km/h back. I then drove to a tire shop that I saw recently renovated and open at Taman Megah, Tyrezone, a Michelin dealer (www.tyrezone.com.my). They have brand new latest equipments. More on that later. The young boss name is Gary and the head mechanic is Calvin. If you go there, make sure Calvin is there to tend to your car. Both of them are very friendly and spent time to explain to me what each equipment can do and what was wrong with my car. They checked my tire and found a 2" nail in it. They mended it using the inside-out mini seal (RM35). They had to remove the tire and the seal pushed in from the inside of the tire. Normal (RM5) seal is the one pushed in from the outside. This is much more secure.Since I was there I did the full monty for my tires; alignment, balancing and rotation. What impresses me most about this place is not only that it is new but all the equipment are the latest. Here's what they have:(1) Hunter GSP9700 Road Rage with Straight Trak Tire Pull Measurenment. Cost per tire is RM15. This machine is very sophisticated and the owner says there's only 2 such machines in KL right now. It measures a heck of a lot of stuff. This machine more than balances the tires and will also tell you which tire is best suited for which side of the car. It took them 1.5 hrs to balance all 4 tires! They had to remove the tire from the wheel many times to turn and match the tire's high point with the wheel's lowest point for a perfect balance and minimum roll resistance! (2) Butler Airdraulics Evo Series. This machine is a tire remover (from the wheel). This latest model which is best suited for expensive alloy wheels as all the parts are rubber coated. (3) Hunter DSP 600 alignment machine. This is again the latest model which uses infra red to measure the 4 wheels instead of wires. It has all the lastest cars' configuration/settings programmed in there, including the E60, E65, E90, and all the older BMW models too. It has the setttings for latest 2005 Porches 996 turbo quattro car too!! They gave me a print out of my car's before and after settings (toe, camber, caster, etc) for my record which can be used at other alignment shops too if I'm happy with these settings. Nice touch. My record is stored in that machine's computer and can be recalled on my next visit. That cost RM50 for front and back alignment. Camber adjustment is another RM35 for each wheel if it is needed. Mine needed only on one side.(4) The final thing I went for is the nitrogen air instead of normal air for my 4 tires. That cost RM5/tire. Future refills is RM1/tire. There are people who thinks it is not necessary but what the heck, its only RM20 which can't buy me a jug of beer! Properties is that is runs cooler, holds the pressure better, lower milage, etc. Ehh...I kiasu lah!! My advice to all of you is to go check your tire pressure every month. I found out that my tire pressures was low which had caused pre mature uneven wearing. The alignment for rear left was out which translated to wear on the inside more than outside. My car has 13k on milage. Should have sent it earlier. These run flats are bloody expensive!! Again, another advice to all who sayang their car is to send your car for a tire check every 8k-10k km. Even a brand new car alignment may not be accurate. Mine could have been out from the day I took delivery! If you are running on expensive tires, go have the alignment and tire pressure checked now. Cheers!

totally agree as so much is riding on those tyres .
and all tyre shops should be as pro as them. normally when you go to them for a quote for tyres , they will do their best to confuse you in order to convince you . example, you go to a dunlop sign tyre shop asking for dunlop tyres , the shop owner will tell you that dunlop aren't that good , why not try yokohama instead .

Originally posted by 8080pbmw@Oct 18 2005, 04:48 AM
totally agree as so much is riding on those tyres .
and all tyre shops should be as pro as them. normally when you go to them for a quote for tyres , they will do their best to confuse you in order to convince you . example, you go to a dunlop sign tyre shop asking for dunlop tyres , the shop owner will tell you that dunlop aren't that good , why not try yokohama instead .
normal salesman talk-lar... they will try to push those tyres that gives the highest sales commission

John,

Great for you to spot such a shop. The equipment and skilled personnel is certainly necessary to do the right job for the BMW. The cost is also very reasonable. I wish there are shops like this around my neck of the woods.

Nitrogen in tires is a great idea as it expands less than air and provides a more even termal transfer from rim/hub to tires. I expect you do not need air-refills for months after having one done. I found my air holds for more than 6 months in one car and thats good. Balancing and alignment is too much neglected by many owners. Having that done properly by professionals is the way to enjoy that perfect balance BMW engineers spend millions in development.

Thanks for sharing.

Originally posted by E34EuroTouring@Oct 19 2005, 08:16 PM
John,

Great for you to spot such a shop. The equipment and skilled personnel is certainly necessary to do the right job for the BMW. The cost is also very reasonable. I wish there are shops like this around my neck of the woods.

Nitrogen in tires is a great idea as it expands less than air and provides a more even termal transfer from rim/hub to tires. I expect you do not need air-refills for months after having one done. I found my air holds for more than 6 months in one car and thats good. Balancing and alignment is too much neglected by many owners. Having that done properly by professionals is the way to enjoy that perfect balance BMW engineers spend millions in development.

Thanks for sharing.
You're very right, checking tire pressure is one of the very often neglected and that can cause pre mature wear. The cost of tires are getting more and more expensive nowadays. Take my OE run flats for example. If I had continue to run my car for another few more Ks the damages would be even greater as one of my rear tires inside tread has worned out much more than the outside.

I believe good things must always share!

Ah, those runflats!. How do you like or dislike them ?.

I generally dislike them at this stage due to high cost and poorer traction offered, not to mention very noisy tires when pushed hard. I can see merit in convenince and safety in case of puncture. But I am willing to take the trade-offs of a conventional tire buying a high-quality with very predictable traction that I know.

I see many 1-series buyers absolutely hating the run-flats that causes a harsh ride with the sports suspension. In such a case, I think BMW engineers too it "too far" in their quest for optimum handling at the greater (to me, at least) expense of ride comfort.

If anyone wanted serious suspension, just buy adjustable coilovers like Bilstein PSS9, adjust to full soft for street and full hard for track.

I can only accept runflats if they can fix the cost problem and traction problems. I personally think BMW is "forcing" people by going runflats without giving customer a choice of normal tires and rims.

Changed my tires there good service and friendly guys, look for Gary

Top Bottom