Alby325i Need Opinion Please .....E46 325i Power Stering Suddenly Not Working....

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Alby325i

Committee Member
Club Committee
Hi ....to all my brothers...I truly hope i will be okay to drive slowly tomorrowmorning to the workshop because half an hour ago drove the car with power steering not working. :(Taking a turn its truly so hard , had to go slow but not to slow cause otherwise the steering will be heavy and and harder to turn either right or left.i did check the ATF Oil is good as i did top up a month ago.plus i did changed belting at the same time plus did changedthe engine oil , gear box oil too.I did switch off the aircond hoping it will give less pressureto the engine ....I just wonder if any of you have faced as i did when I came out of the parking and driving the car was a struggle...but truly glad I and my baby are finally safe at home.Question please....Is it safe for me to drive the car slowly to the workshoptomorrow morning before the traffic starts without doing harm to the car....OR should I be calling AAM request them to tow the vehical to the workshop....I truly hope the first idea would just fine ..By the way tqvm and truly hope some of you are still awake to sharewith me some opinion please!!!! Hehehe :):)Indeed Tqvm,Alby325i :):)

Call AAM make use of their services bcos that's the reason u joined them in the first place, nowadays they use flatbed trucks so not so bad...and you don't want to risk a jammed steering (if there is such a thing) while on ur slow drive to the workshop...:top:

been in ur place before. but my case is much worse, let it be history. its ok to drive without power steering, it wont jammed, but call a tow truck is a better choice to avoid another problem in the future. but a strong arm is a must if wanna drive to workshop. just to share, if u had a symptom of "krik2" sound when u turn ur steering wheel before ur power steering not working, it probably ur power steering pump faulty. change mine December last year. part is a bit costly here in sabah around RM1000 something cant remember exact figure. I believe its more cheaper in KL. anyway drive carefully if choose to drive :smile:

XXX;812277 said:
Call AAM make use of their services bcos that's the reason u joined them in the first place, nowadays they use flatbed trucks so not so bad...and you don't want to risk a jammed steering (if there is such a thing) while on ur slow drive to the workshop...:top:

Hi .....and A Very Good Morning XXX and All :)

Tqvm for you reply , yes you are right . Well ....at first i just wanted to settle it in a simple way
But than again i wish not to invite other problems too.

Well looks like calling AAM would be a better way to sent the car to the workshop.

Tqvm again and Cheers to you my friend :)

Alby325i :):)

Helena320;812278 said:
been in ur place before. but my case is much worse, let it be history. its ok to drive without power steering, it wont jammed, but call a tow truck is a better choice to avoid another problem in the future. but a strong arm is a must if wanna drive to workshop. just to share, if u had a symptom of "krik2" sound when u turn ur steering wheel before ur power steering not working, it probably ur power steering pump faulty. change mine December last year. part is a bit costly here in sabah around RM1000 something cant remember exact figure. I believe its more cheaper in KL. anyway drive carefully if choose to drive :smile:

Hello to you too .....Helena320. :)

Tqvm for sharing with me my dear friend your story. Was awake till 01.30 am!!!
While thinking.....zzzzzz.hehehe :). Well after sleeping for few hours i guess its better
for me as to call AAM and not to take the risk as you and XXX said share the same.:)
Truly hope it will be a small issue and the price will not be so expensive!!! :)

At first I diidn"t want the my baby to have a grand entrance to the workshop but I guess
I have to make sure I did not put her at risk....

Tqvm again and have a good day to you and if you are ever in K.L do let me know
my friend i can belanja teh tarik for a friend from Sabah!!! hehehe

Take care

Firstly, you should not need to top up the ATF for the power steering. get it check for the leak.

Secondly, you need to change the reservoir/ATF every 50K to 100K. There is a filter there.

BTW, did you encounter some humming sound when you turn the steering slightly to the left or right.

it is still safe to drive without power steering to the workshop but try to avoid to much driving if you can.

jarance;812290 said:
Firstly, you should not need to top up the ATF for the power steering. get it check for the leak.

Secondly, you need to change the reservoir/ATF every 50K to 100K. There is a filter there.

BTW, did you encounter some humming sound when you turn the steering slightly to the left or right.

it is still safe to drive without power steering to the workshop but try to avoid to much driving if you can.

Jarance, my car has some humming sound when turning the steering slightly, not loud but noticeable. Would it lead to steering pump failure?

Alby dear, Sorry to intrude in your thread,

IMHO better call AAM, if you havent call them lah.

Good Morning brother Alby,

I do believe that most insurance companies provide free towing for 50km. Use that facility bro, we pay so much for insurance. Hope your problem will be solved as soon as possible and do update us on the cost of replacing the parts...

krsna86;812292 said:

I do believe that most insurance companies provide free towing for 50km. Use that facility bro, we pay so much for insurance. Hope your problem will be solved as soon as possible and do update us on the cost of replacing the parts...

krsna86, sorry bro, but Alby is a lady.
And a nice looking one too.

Strider74;812291 said:
Jarance, my car has some humming sound when turning the steering slightly, not loud but noticeable. Would it lead to steering pump failure?

Humming sound can be one of the symptoms of PS pump failure. Normally more evident when steering is turned during idle and less evident when driving. Mine had the same symptom and got it replaced before it got bad. LUK power steering pump cost RM850 but some mechanics is charging about RM1250-1300 for parts + labor. Total cost should be cheaper if you get the parts yourself. Do get the resorvoir replaced as well at the same time. Should be about RM90 for that.

Alby, hopefully yours can be solved soon. Sounds like a PS pump failure to me. Fingers-crossed.

Strider74;812291 said:

S74, if there is some humming sound, it could be attributed to the following:-
1. ATF level is low.
2. Power Steering pump is about to go to lala land (kaput)
3. reservoir filter is chocked.

If it is not 1., then it is most likely to be the pump.
change my pump after changing the reservoir.
E39PSPump.jpg

Hi Alby,

Hope your issues are resolved.

p/s just cant resist to racun. Imagine this "wind flowing through your hard in the early misty morning on the Ulu Yam run, as you convertible top is down, and the flutter of the scarf that wraps your neck, flying freely in the air....so fresh...so refreshing...."

cabutssss......

jarance;812290 said:

Hi....Jarance and All

Yes , the ATF is at the good level. About the reservoir well I have to see the record.

As for the humming sound yes I did hear the sound on and off

as i did the turning before a few days back. Hoping for the best!!! Hehehe

Tqvm for sharing my friend

Strider74;812291 said:

Strider....my friend ,:)

Certainly you are most welcome after all sharing is caring!!! Right?
As for the AAM, I had to request for them to come 7 am tomorrow cause
I wasn't able to be there as i was free in the morning and they were only free in
the afternoon.

Hoping for the best my friend :)

Tqvm for sharing too

Alby325i :)

krsna86;812292 said:

Yes...a very Good Afternoon to you too my brother krsna86. :)

Indeed you are right , I guest i will just use AAM service for now.

Tqvm for sharing your good words with me and truly very happy to know.

Certainly I will update for all of us to share and learn.

Take care

Strider74;812296 said:
krsna86, sorry bro, but Alby is a lady.
And a nice looking one too.

Hehehe.....tqvm Strider74 for your kind words..

Certainly usik mengusik membawa bahagia. Forgive me krsna86 for not saying
to you before that i am...a lady.

Love being.... Mischievious :)

Take care guys .

wingzee;812298 said:
Humming sound can be one of the symptoms of PS pump failure. Normally more evident when steering is turned during idle and less evident when driving. Mine had the same symptom and got it replaced before it got bad. LUK power steering pump cost RM850 but some mechanics is charging about RM1250-1300 for parts + labor. Total cost should be cheaper if you get the parts yourself. Do get the resorvoir replaced as well at the same time. Should be about RM90 for that.

Alby, hopefully yours can be solved soon. Sounds like a PS pump failure to me. Fingers-crossed.

Hi .. my friend Wingzee :)

Tqvm for sharing all the info with me indeed truly very happy to know. :)
By the way wingzee may I ask about the Luke brand?
I certainly wish to get a good price for both and may i know the labour charge
for these two item.

As for now what i can say the situation of the steering is pretty hard to move
right or left but i can still clik and lock the steering. Sometimes being
a lady and when they look at me forgive me of saying some
they like to over charge me with a higher price even after asking
for a discount and that part truly sad and maybe is the Man' World !!!

For sure my best friend today is a cab driver!!!! Hehehe:)

Cheers ,

jarance;812300 said:
S74, if there is some humming sound, it could be attributed to the following:-
1. ATF level is low.
2. Power Steering pump is about to go to lala land (kaput)
3. reservoir filter is chocked.

If it is not 1., then it is most likely to be the pump.
change my pump after changing the reservoir.
E39PSPump.jpg

Tqvm ...Jarance my friend for the info.

Any idea what is the best price i can get for both power steering pump
and the reservoir item plus labour.

Cheers

Top Bottom