Aircond smell

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

affan66

Founding Member
All, My E39 seems to have a bad smell coming from the aircond when I switch it on. It does go away a bit when the aircond is already on for a while. By the way, I have already changed the cabin filter about 2 weeks ago.What else should I do? Should I take to the guru aka Naidu? Thanks in advance.

Mate, a skunk in the engine compartment perhaps? hahahah Sorry! can't help you. I can't even help myself.

yep jes visit naidu & i bet he'll solve yr problemo............did mine there, dunno wat he godeh as long as the problem solve hehehe

affan66;321795 said:
All,

My E39 seems to have a bad smell coming from the aircond when I switch it on. It does go away a bit when the aircond is already on for a while.

By the way, I have already changed the cabin filter about 2 weeks ago.
What else should I do? Should I take to the guru aka Naidu? Thanks in advance.

Are your air-cond filters carbon type or normal ones? If the carbon still does not help, get Naidu to seal up the air vents with sponge! It will cost about RM 30 for both sides

thanks all.
Jerman, how do I know if it's the carbon type? Got em for RM300.

If you look closely at the filter, you'll notice small black particles on the mesh. If you have torn open a charcoal filtered cigarette's butt to see the filter itself, it looks exactly the same.

I wanted to get the carbon filters but apparently they don't make 'em for E36 :(

loafer, thanks for the info.
Unfortunately, I've never come close to a cigarette in my entire life so I'll have to check. The filter does look grayish though.

bro ah fan...waaaa....got e39 now eh...good for you.me still with my trusty red car.kalau bau busuk then very likely the evaporator is dirty and clogged with god knows what.the quick and cheaper fix will be to get one of those "spray canister that cleans the cooling fins which i donno where to get em from" things.get access to the evaporator and spray liberally and put the blower on till dry....donno where but i read this fix from somewhere.....

From my past experience, the bad smell came after an evening when I switch to extrior air when air-con is on..sadly two bugs was sucked in to the air-con fan/filter area and it caused the bad smell. Naidu took out the filter and cleaned it then using vaccum clearner to suck up the leaves in the compartment.

affan66;321898 said:
loafer, thanks for the info.
Unfortunately, I've never come close to a cigarette in my entire life so I'll have to check. The filter does look grayish though.

Good for you bro!!:rock:

I had that problem recently with my car. Swung by Dr.Naidu, he confirmed the cooling coil was leaking, now that was a chemical kinda smell... so it may not be the same. Just for thought.

cheers :D

I have that kind of "sour" smell sometimes in the mornings in two of my cars (E46 & H/Stream - E36 & P/Satria Neo no smell). the smell disapears after a short while. Have tried 2 change filter, clean evaporater, etc, etc, etc, but cannot get rid of the smell. :confused::confused:At least 3 air cond guys told me its' connected 2 the recycle gas & materials used for the components nowadays. Could it be true?:eek::eek::eek:

affan66;321841 said:
thanks all.
Jerman, how do I know if it's the carbon type? Got em for RM300.

The carbon ones are darker in colour "charcoal" but the normal ones are the "paper-type filter"

Check your PM.

filter already changed. I think I need to service my aircond since owning this car since Jan this year.

Aircond service is major surgery. Get it done propoerly as the entire dashboard will have to be removed. Even if you open up the blower box and find the cooling coil has no leaks, but it's old then u should go ahead and change it so you don't have to go through the entire process again when it does leak. A new one is safe for a good 5-6+ years or longer.

Recallled there are a few type of cooling coils, don't remember the brands. some oem, some is equivalent.

leceh wo... dashboard removal. Will need to replace the foam as well. Argh.. that's easily a 2-3 day job. Will Naidu be able to do this job properly?

went to Naidus.

Aircond filter - although white in colour, is also charcoal, according to him. This is the new version. Hmmm.. ok la.
Aircond flaps - tested out and found both to be okay. Tightly sealed. No need "Malaysia Boleh" RM30 sponge. If I do that, I don't need the aircond filter too. No use anymore.
Aircond gas - kurang. Topped-up for RM30.

Aircond is cool now. Odor is still there but it was because of the low gas level. It will go away so I have to blast the aircond once in a while to get the moisture out.

That's all folks.

affan66;323763 said:
went to Naidus.

Aircond filter - although white in colour, is also charcoal, according to him. This is the new version. Hmmm.. ok la.
Aircond flaps - tested out and found both to be okay. Tightly sealed. No need "Malaysia Boleh" RM30 sponge. If I do that, I don't need the aircond filter too. No use anymore.
Aircond gas - kurang. Topped-up for RM30.

Aircond is cool now. Odor is still there but it was because of the low gas level. It will go away so I have to blast the aircond once in a while to get the moisture out.

That's all folks.

There are basically 3 different types of microfilter. White (standard) Greyish (Carbon) and latest is Blue (Nano for antibacteria). http://www.mudah.my/vi/3244816.htm?ca=9_s So, I'm sorry but I think guru Naidu could be very well be mistaken as there is definitely a difference in the material for carbon as compared to standard white type.

Top Bottom