Advise on Tyres

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

JDY

Club Guest
Hi GuysNeed some opinions here. I am currently running on Michelin PS3 with about 70-75% thread all round. One of my back tyre got punctured yday. Assuming worst case in which the tyre can't be repaired (will be taking it to wshop 2nd half of the day), need your opinion on the following options;1) Replace the punctured tyre with a second hand Michelin PS3 of around the same thread (c.70%). Assuming I find one that is in good order. Concern:The wear would not bee 100% even though and I am worried if this will be an issue or2) Replace both back tyres with Michelin PS2. This will also be second hand but at least they would have been evenly worn out. Concern: Would running PS3 on the front and PS2 on the rear be an issue?I will be giving our forum vendor TTH Tyre a call later today to check on stock availability.Lastly, the other PS3 255/35/18 is in good condition, what do you think its worth assuming I change two tyres and decide to sell this PS3.Thanks in advance guys! Hope some of you can share your opinions soon :)

Additional info.

Car: E46ci

Tyre Size.
Front 225/35/18
Back 255/35/18

There is no harm if both left right tyres are same thread. I will also choose option 2.

Why go for second and not brand new....

aku ada stereng lori dan bas......kau ada....

i need some opinions in tires. it is about performance tires. is this tires fuel saving and longer mileage ? becuz the rubber, inflation pressure and its tread pattern are different from comfort tires. so does it effective for saving petrol ?

In fact, performance of a tyre does really depends on a lot of things. For instance, the design of treads, the quality of tyres, weather, road condition and driving style of the driver. Personally I feel maintenance is also very important cos if your tyre are always not in the right air pressure or not getting rotated every 6 months, they'll last shorter than they used to be. You can take a look on the video here, it has quite good explanation on the fuel saving tyre. [video=youtube;dp8SgFKAEmk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp8SgFKAEmk[/video]

Although using good branded tires but careless is no point compared to people that use cheap tires but drive carefully one. Driving skill is more important than quality of tires.

kooimin87;849838 said:
Although using good branded tires but careless is no point compared to people that use cheap tires but drive carefully one. Driving skill is more important than quality of tires.

i dont even want to start !! which planet are you from??

- - - Updated - - -

kooimin87;849838 said:

i dont even want to start !! which planet are you from??

ihave10cats;849660 said:
i need some opinions in tires. it is about performance tires. is this tires fuel saving and longer mileage ? becuz the rubber, inflation pressure and its tread pattern are different from comfort tires. so does it effective for saving petrol ?
The fact that it's a performance tyre it's not fuel saving with large contact to tarmac. Can't have it both ways. Coz' proper tyre pressure is paramount to tyre performance durability safety etcetera

- - - Updated - - -

ihave10cats;849660 said:
The fact that it's a performance tyre it's not fuel saving with large contact to tarmac. Can't have it both ways. Coz' proper tyre pressure is paramount to tyre performance durability safety etcetera

If concern about fuel savings go buy a diesel ... How much fuel can you save by playing with tire pressure or eco tires like michelin?

Your right foot is the most effective fuel saver.

- - - Updated - - -

If concern about fuel savings go buy a diesel ... How much fuel can you save by playing with tire pressure or eco tires like michelin?

What I'm gonna share here is very basic knowledge that I know about tyre. Correct me if I'm wrong. The tire consists of six main parts. (Inner Liner, Carcass Ply, Beads, Sidewall, Crown Plies, and Tread) All of them play a part in the performance of tires. Tread pattern, provides traction and cornering grip for the tire and is designed to resist wear, abrasion and heat. Reinforcing agents in the rubber are used, such as carbon blacks and silica are mixed into the compounds to strengthen the tyre. Every tyre is designed to roll at a given pressure. It is dangerous to allow tire pressure to drop below the specification recommended on the vehicle placard. Low pressure increases the amount of tire wall movement resulting from cornering forces. Not only that, the tire will absorb more of the irregular forces of normal driving. With this constant bending of the side wall as it absorbs the contours of the road, it heats up the tire wall to possibly dangerous temperatures. Additionally, this flexing degrades the steel wire reinforcement; this often leads to side wall blow-outs. So personally I think maintenance of tyre is mandatory in order to keep a tyre to last longer.

Im looking to change my tires, BMW 330 Series. Im torn between the Potenza S03 and the Michelin Pilot Sport 3.

What i'm looking for is :
- Great or at least above average grip in the dry, especially when going through a fast corner
- Excellent grip in the wet. This is my most important criteria

What i dont mind :
- Road noise or ride comfort

Im leaning more towards the Potenza S03 because those treads looks like it can disperse more water. But I also heard a lot of good things about the PS3, but i need to know how it compares in the wet against the Potenza S03. I also could use with any opinion on other tyres that suits my criteria

ladygaga;850248 said:
Im looking to change my tires, BMW 330 Series. Im torn between the Potenza S03 and the Michelin Pilot Sport 3.

- Great or at least above average grip in the dry, especially when going through a fast corner

What i dont mind :

Im leaning more towards the F1 because those treads looks like it can disperse more water, but it is an old design. I've heard a lot of good things about the PS3, but i need to know how it compares in the wet against the Potenza S03. I also could use with any opinion on other tyres that suits my criteria

Of course I will suggest you Michelin PS3 la

- - - Updated - - -

ladygaga;850248 said:

What i dont mind :

Im leaning more towards the F1 because those treads looks like it can disperse more water, but it is an old design. I've heard a lot of good things about the PS3, but i need to know how it compares in the wet against the Potenza S03. I also could use with any opinion on other tyres that suits my criteria

Of course I will suggest you Michelin PS3 la

B33mEr;849858 said:

- - - Updated - - -

Diesel price also gone up... expensive somemore.. sometimes petrol station are not selling because over quota... not a good choice... NGV la.. haha
ECO tires - Michelin may not save you alot of fuel in one time, but if you calculate at long term, it is amount of money leh!
Like malay like to say this Sedikit Sedikit lama lama jadi bukit,.

Top Bottom