advice needed on poor handling

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

marea83

Club Guest
hi guys. just a quick question. im having this problem with my e46coupe. whenever i take sharp turn the tail of the car gives way and the dsc warning blinking which means its working hard to counter my tail giving way. my tire is still around 70% but its not that new. i suspect its the tire not having enough grip which causing the fish tailing. i dont wanna change the tire before confirming that its the root cause of the problem. im sure some of the sifu in here have encountered this problem before.

both front and rear on 235/40/18. is this the best for my 18" breyton or i should change the rear one to a different set? thanks in advance for any advice!

just my 2cent.. could be ur suspension.. normally the dsc will only turns on when there's no traction... could be when u turn ur car the pressure shifted to the outer side and the inner side have less pressure.. but due to poor suspension so the dsc mode will automaticly turns on..

i always experience it during some hard accerelation and hit a lousy bump...

car alignment is okay, tire pressure is okay too. i reckon the suspension is okay too since i sent the car for inspection prior purchasing it few months back.

marea83;426744 said:
whenever i take sharp turn the tail of the car gives way and the dsc warning blinking

So, how fast are you actually going ? and how sharp is the turn ?
How you know your tyres pressure is fine? when is the last time you check it ? It need to be check every week, and what is the pressure ?
Allignment need to be done every 6 months too.

turbology;426826 said:
So, how fast are you actually going ? and how sharp is the turn ?
How you know your tyres pressure is fine? when is the last time you check it ? It need to be check every week, and what is the pressure ?
Allignment need to be done every 6 months too.

not that fast actually just as fast as driving my fwd which is around 30kph at a 90degree turn. last tire pressure was checked 2 days ago after i start noticing the problem. alignment was 2 months back when i purchased the car.

same as my problem.....i just changed the abs sensor at left rear side cost me rm330 include labour....then problem solve

marea83;426823 said:
car alignment is okay, tire pressure is okay too. i reckon the suspension is okay too since i sent the car for inspection prior purchasing it few months back.

what is the brand of your suspension? i think Boge is tend to be softer than bilstein? it might affect your driving...is your tyre specificaton correct?

i went to malacca sc seonghoe use the 1million computer to check cost me rm44....hehehe..my dsc light also always blinking...

shoot now the dsc and handbrake warning is on no more blinking. is this something big guys? i have to send it to the mech i guess... sigh

marea83;426943 said:
shoot now the dsc and handbrake warning is on no more blinking. is this something big guys? i have to send it to the mech i guess... sigh

the 1st time i heard bout this matter.. pls keep updating me on ur progress marea.. just to be prepared if it happens to me later.. could it be ur dsc button has loose up?? dunno.. it'll keep touching or stuck during driving.. as the car moving there's vibration.. would love to hear regarding ur matter soon..

now all warning gone but i know something is wrong with the car. the mech coming to get the car for checking. will update you guys on this.

okay my mech just sent the car for realignment, tire balancing and some minor adjustment to the rear suspension now everything is okay.he told me to change the rear tire since its getting hard thus not much grip left in it. phew glad nothing big to replace.

thanks guys for all the advice!:top:

just another quick one guys, should i change the rear to different set of tyre to improve the handling by reducing over steer.
i'm quite new to this can i use the same rims? now im using 225/40/18 all round on a breyton magic. thanks!

wider tires does help reducing oversteer at dry surface ( but easier to aquaplane when wet)
225/40 seems adequate.
How old is your tires ?

How about your front & rear sway bar ? is it factory ?
Stiffer (thicker) front sway bar (aka stabilizer bar) will introduce understeer, which might help for you situation.

I will change your tires first. Go for a "sticky-ier" one.

my tires are around 1 1/2 year old max according to the previous owner. it is still thick with about 80% thread. i can still feel sufficient grip in dry or wet condition its just when i take sharp turn and accelerate maybe a bit too much the car starts to oversteer which is normal but i still think its too much. im not sure about the front and rear sway bar i'm a bmw noob. so i need to change the tires is it?

thanks for the reply!

turbology;427961 said:
wider tires does help reducing oversteer at dry surface ( but easier to aquaplane when wet)
225/40 seems adequate.
How old is your tires ?

How about your front & rear sway bar ? is it factory ?
Stiffer (thicker) front sway bar (aka stabilizer bar) will introduce understeer, which might help for you situation.

I will change your tires first. Go for a "sticky-ier" one.

check your tires.
The side wall should say when is the manufacturing date.
If is more then 4 years, change it regardless how many thread left.
(then use the old tires for gymkana... kekeke )

Maybe this is a stupid question, does your E46 couple has traction control ?
Maybe the "not working" light is not working ?
Is your car auto ?

the tires are manufactured in 2007 that means its still good. yes the coupe is auto transmission, has traction control and the not working light is working perfectly i think so. maybe i shouldnt be driving that fast on sharp turns i guess.

turbology;428028 said:
check your tires.
The side wall should say when is the manufacturing date.
If is more then 4 years, change it regardless how many thread left.
(then use the old tires for gymkana... kekeke )

Maybe this is a stupid question, does your E46 couple has traction control ?
Maybe the "not working" light is not working ?
Is your car auto ?

Come visit Melaka TT.
We will go for a spin :D

I am still suspectibg your allignment is not right. Try to go different place for allignment, and ADD positive camber to the rear (abit, maybe 0.5) to reduce oversteer.

Top Bottom