Added security necessary for E90?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

chris1

Club Guest
Hi all,I couldn't find a thread on this & was wondering whether any one of you has installed after market security systems on your rides? With so may stories of car jackings, would it be wise to install something like a satellite tracking system? Chris

Chris, consider this,

last week, my sis-in-law's E-90 was stolen. They just arrived from kampung 'round midnight and they woke up in d morning, the car was gone.

They broke into d house and stole the car key and just ran away with d car. Likewise on the car jacking, they just take ur key/card and simply drive away.

Immobiliser won't help much nowadays, sattelite or RF tracking is the way to go now. After such incident, I decided to renew also my oter car's tracking system. Just in case...

But the question is what and where to get such services?... Pls share since my UDM also does not have one yet.

you could use captor i guess for tracking, which i had on my previous car.... so you can trace it if its been stolen. Im not sure how good their system is though.

The german spec e90 CBU does not come with an alarm, does it ? Rookie your views...

Nope the E90 CBU from Munich doesn't come with the alarm. It doesn't even have the Red Clown Nose installed. The satellite tracking device sounds like a good idea, but just wondering how good is the system, and whether they can help with the recovery of the vehicle.

I do subscribe to CAPTOR and you could test the position of ur car twice every month or year, I haven't done it for quite sometimes.

For the test, u just drive anywhere and ask them to trace the position for you. Very accurate. At least u know the position of ur car wherever it is, whether you are gonna get it back in 1 piece, I don't know....

But what happen if someone take out the CAPTOR system battery? If the thief know the location, of course.

Can CAPTOR be installed to UDM? Yes, they say without promotion RM2,100/car.

But then if my car is stolen, I am not sure I will try to recover it as it will probably be thrashed, damaged, etc.

The E90 is not as hot as Camrys, Vios'es and even the E60 for theft as far as I know. No harm, but I don't really like the idea of aftermarket electronics esp those that can disable the engine installed in the car. Higher risk of fault and engine shutting off while driving heh.

E46Fanatic;259369 said:
The E90 is not as hot as Camrys, Vios'es and even the E60 for theft as far as I know. No harm, but I don't really like the idea of aftermarket electronics esp those that can disable the engine installed in the car. Higher risk of fault and engine shutting off while driving heh.

Agreed here. There are so much electronics in the E90 and new cars nowdays that even changing a simple thing like the stereo head-unit may be risky if not done by experts. You never know what other electronic bits can be affected.

all depends on the syndicates mood....currently its CRV and Camry..so E90 still quite safe...kekekkeke

I would put it as "market demand' rather than "syndicates mood"... HeeHee...

Last previously... My Toyota WISH is top of the list, and true enough, it got stolen right infront of my house after I got it for 2weeks! HaHa...

I would say that we need not worry about our ride as it won't be on top of the list, maybe even won't be in the list. Toyota always have the most models in the list and top of the list is always a Toyota!

And our ride will usually get rob, but not stolen... Even stolen, they will need the key no matter what... According to the syndicate... So, whenever you got rob for the car, just give it to them lo... Claim insurance lo... Better than get hurt ma...

Ya... No good... Can be track... HaHa...

Like 3G... Nowadays whenever receiving call from 'her', I need to either rush to a nice toilet or rush back to my car to answer... HaHa...

No No... Not a good solution...

I noticed that my 320i seems to have only central locking, does it actually have an alarm system installed? I heard that thieves can't start the car even if they could break in due to the complexity of the electronic key system.

Chris

They cannot start the car and they will also have problem getting in/out of the car as the doors are locked and they can't open it. They need to climb in and out of the car thru the windows. This is one of the security on our E90. Once the doors are locked with the FOB, it can only be unlocked with the FOB, or else you would need to access the car thru the windows. And you can't also open the bonnet without unlocking the car with the FOB.

So the FOB is our only and strongest defence!!!

But if you are rob, instead of the car being stolen, you are advice to give in...

TomJB;260716 said:
So the FOB is our only and strongest defence!!!

But if you are rob, instead of the car being stolen, you are advice to give in...

In the event of hijack, definitely our life is much more worthy than our cars. So just give in and let them have it (our car). And then we give ourselves a chance to upgrade or change new car :cool:

1. Putting aftermarket devices could void your warranty, if your car is still under warranty. Have you notice there isn't a parts shop that says that can't install anything in your car? If anything does goes wrong, you get a sorry and will be saddled with a major problem.

If you want to get anything installed, especially when it comes to electronics; check with BMW first. I have told many, many parts guys that I don't mind paying them a bit extra if they get the ok from BMW first. None are willing.

2. FYI, over the last two years, BMW carjackings are very high. More and more insurance companies are less willing to take on BMWs. I have approached BMW on several occassions to install a similar device like MB is doing. Therefore; they have to give us the assurance that it would be "factory-fitted" properly. So far, reluctance on their part.

Last week a friends C230 was car jacked in KL, he had a tracking sys installed & they recovered the car in 1 hour. I don't know the name of the installed sys, but it definitely seems worth it.

Top Bottom