523E60 - Engine Oil Consumption Query

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

eg3616

Club Guest
Hi all,I need some advise. I drive a 523 E60, 2006 model. I got the car last year from second hand dealer with full service record from AB. The car requires 1 litre of engine oil top up at every 8000km. I have sent the car to AB for check up and they gave assurance that the car is in good conditions and it's within acceptable tolerance for the car to consume up to 1 litre for every 8000km. I'm just wondering if other have this same problem.Appreciate any feedback from you guys out there.

it's about the viscosity of engine oil... I don't know about you but I use Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40... no top up indicator appear for more than 10000km+++

eg3616;392639 said:
Hi all,

I need some advise. I drive a 523 E60, 2006 model. I got the car last year from second hand dealer with full service record from AB.

The car requires 1 litre of engine oil top up at every 8000km. I have sent the car to AB for check up and they gave assurance that the car is in good conditions and it's within acceptable tolerance for the car to consume up to 1 litre for every 8000km.

I'm just wondering if other have this same problem.

Appreciate any feedback from you guys out there.

with the AB filled engine oil which i assumed they are using 5W-30 grade then 1litre every 8000km is acceptable as the specification calls for 0.7l/1000km if i am not mistaken...

i am on 0W-30 and i top-up 1litre every 6000km to 7000km...

I heard that newer BMW(eg. E60/E61, E65.66) tend to consume more engine oil compared to older model...

t2ribena;393165 said:
with the AB filled engine oil which i assumed they are using 5W-30 grade then 1litre every 8000km is acceptable as the specification calls for 0.7l/1000km if i am not mistaken...

i am on 0W-30 and i top-up 1litre every 6000km to 7000km...
T2ribena, i heard that N series IL-6 consumed oil due to piston ring problem. Hav u heard anything about it?

Thanks you for your reply,

I'm not sure what is the viscosity of engine oil that they used in AB. In fact I don't know what is the brand for that matter. After my persistent complaint, the guys over in AB is to switch to engine oil with high heat characteristic. They are recommending Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic.

Any thought on Mobil 1?

morpheus5039;393427 said:
I heard that newer BMW(eg. E60/E61, E65.66) tend to consume more engine oil compared to older model...

Do you know why? I was told once told that the newer engine is made from diffrent alloy than the older generation. Can't confirm though.

Cheers.

eg3616;394153 said:
Do you know why? I was told once told that the newer engine is made from diffrent alloy than the older generation. Can't confirm though.

Cheers.

Then there's something wromng with the designers cos my '00 E39 525 never needed any engine top up between servicing.

davidtch;393488 said:
T2ribena, i heard that N series IL-6 consumed oil due to piston ring problem. Hav u heard anything about it?

i have not heard anything about that...but those with excessive engine oil consumption do get their engine block change...

eg3616;394153 said:

Cheers.

The newer N52 engine block is made from magnesium to reduce weight and the cylinder sleeves are made from alusil to withstand high heat. If you got watch National Geographic BMW Ultimate Factories u will know:top:(and u know Z4 comes from USA not Germany:wink:)

I am also looking for the answer for oil consumption problem...

eg3616;394153 said:

Cheers.

its magnesium alloy with aluminium alloy sleeve for the engine block...:top:

this makes the N52B25 engine the lightest in its class at about 160+kg if i am not mistaken...

saat;394156 said:
Then there's something wromng with the designers cos my '00 E39 525 never needed any engine top up between servicing.

comparing to the M54 the operating temperature of the N52's are higher...also the factory filled oil grade is xW-30 grade...this might be contributing to the oil missing issue in opposite to better response and output power...

t2ribena;394189 said:
i have not heard anything about that...but those with excessive engine oil consumption do get their engine block change...
Mayb u could explore it further. This is the answer from a Sg forumer (non-bmw forum) working in AD.

thule;393065 said:
it's about the viscosity of engine oil... I don't know about you but I use Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40... no top up indicator appear for more than 10000km+++

What you are looking for is NOACK value.
Viscosity has little to do with Volatility (Vapourize for oil).

I was talking with people in other authorized services centre and I was surprise what they said. It seems that engines under this model and year are known to have problem. It's normal to top up in the first 30000km but not after that. If the problem is persistent, this might be caused by sludge accumulation. This sludge normally not drained during oil flush. When new oil is added, the oil mix with the sludged inducing more wear and tear to the engine. This effect is amplified forthe fact that the engine alloy is not the same as in previous engine type. This sort of problem seem to be occuring with consistent frequency for car sold in Malaysia and middle east market. There are case where BMW has to change the whole engine.

it's worrying man...sometime I think ignorance is bliss, but can't afford it.

Top Bottom