5 lug swap done & Hartge's on....

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
s50b32...321hp on tap....a few mods and it can get up to 340hp

torque wise about 350 Nm/ft.....

btw there were 3 versions of the m3 3.2 s50 variant
1. s50b32
2. s52b32
3. sxxb32...........low compression based on the s50 block, so this "maybe" the " euro s52" that people talked about with twin vanos and all

and yes obd2 are harder to transplant but its not impossible

Get ready 30k ++ for hardware plus instalation.
I would suggest the S50B30. Its a more robust engine & single vanos. A set of cams & the S52 will not be able to shake you off.

....thanks Alvin.... So how readily available are the halfcuts if I choose the S50B30, which are pre-95 models, correct? I'll be ready to do the swap this month. For the record, all non-US S50 & S52's came with multi-TB's right?

How much are the cams runnin........appx US$400-500 a piece? Schrick? How aggressive? What kinda HP & torque would i be looking at with that set up? The S50B30 in stock form makes 286'ish HP and 235 ft lbs if i can recall correctly.

I'd like to see a noticeable jump in torque since i'm already makin 207 ft lbs at the wheels with my stroker.

While I have you, i've been thinkin of movin away from my M-Tech II kit to an M3 setup....especially since i already have the runnin gear and there aren't any M3 cabs around this part of the world. Soooo, do you still have any way of gettin M3 quarter panels, front/rear & sideskirts?

Chris

i would really suggest that you blow your current set up. Do light pressure turbo. That will make it fun.

For details think we need to sit down for a beer sometime. Hahahah. U coming up to KL anytime soon? I might be visiting JB end of the mth.

As for the panel, some things can be worked out.

S50B32 is easier to get but its a double vanos which is not really full prove. The 3.0 is still the best & can be taken further. Yes get the Schrick cams. You can check the profiles in their site.
Best thing is when the car pull after 3500Rpm & when each individual throttle opens. Sounds great! Why not put in the M30B35? Thats another option.

gotta admit this is 1 hell of a nice+beautiful=perfecto e30 conv!!
heh, i still remember back in the mid 80s & even in the 90s i used 2 go bananas when i spotted an e30 especially convertibles!
whenever i was at d workshop in segambut 4 repairs, i stared for hours & had pitures in my head driving one. my favourite was a white conv wit obermaiers, wit a 2.7 litres inplant!! can u actually imagine d damaged-gravel caused d moment u sat in & throttle?!!
still crazy when i c one!!

Originally posted by Alvin@Jun 8 2006, 05:45 PM
S50B32 is easier to get but its a double vanos which is not really full prove. The 3.0 is still the best & can be taken further. Yes get the Schrick cams. You can check the profiles in their site.
Best thing is when the car pull after 3500Rpm & when each individual throttle opens. Sounds great! Why not put in the M30B35? Thats another option.
Alvin I think for his current situation the M30 B35 is a downgrade. His car now is more powerful than the M30 B35.
As for the E30 M3 boby conversion is much more easier to convert than a coupe. Not a problem at all...

Ya the M30B35 option really is not an improvement, but just extra weight and less power.

I have seriously considered a turbo setup or supercharger but it would mean having a blown BMW and I don't know if i can live with myself for molesting the marque in that way ;) Anyhow, it made sense to me cuz I already have a forged crank and new rods, but I'd have to change my high compression pistons.

Regarding the S50B32, isn't it possible to do an OBDI conversion to the engine. I mean that engine produces 320hp right outta the box, and I really can't see just the addition of more aggressive cams to an S50B30 (286'ish hp) gettin me up to 320hp.

Another option i have, which could be fun, but VERY pricey....buy an E30 M3 from the US and bring it in for parts, use the body parts i need, and stroke the S14B23 to 2.5L, but the thing about this option is the lack of torque compared to my current setup.......but the cool factor of a 2.5L S14 dayuuuum!

Uncle Tobby: Thanks bro....my cab has a 3.0L stroker in it so it can move quite well ;)

Yes there are some conversions from OBDII to I. This is possible with a new wiring harness that can be optained from US.
I would still suggest the turbo set up. No worries bout the marque since the new generation will also be twin turbos like the new 335i. That is the direction BMW is moving even for the 2.5L which will be launch next year as the std engine.

You will save so much hassle with the transplant. But then again nothing like the sight of 6 individual throttles & the M logo.

Originally posted by Chris Cab@Jun 9 2006, 11:36 AM
Regarding the S50B32, isn't it possible to do an OBDI conversion to the engine. I mean that engine produces 320hp right outta the box, and I really can't see just the addition of more aggressive cams to an S50B30 (286'ish hp) gettin me up to 320hp.
I remember reading some BMW magazine articles that mentions that the S50 3.2 engine rarely makes the claimed 321 bhp.

Chris, if you are really interested there is a mechanic in Subang with the S50B32 engine and wiring harness. He will also provide the relevant parts and etc plus installation and etc etc. Asking price is RM 21k.

Originally posted by Chris Cab@Jun 9 2006, 11:36 AM

get the s50b30, then get it stroked to 3.2........

for your conv, better to have a higher torque rather then bhp.....

there's nothing like the growl if ITB when the power kicks in......

wonder watcha gonna do with the m20 stroker after the M goes in...... :D

Originally posted by ALBundy@Jun 9 2006, 12:48 AM
Chris, if you are really interested there is a mechanic in Subang with the S50B32 engine and wiring harness. He will also provide the relevant parts and etc plus installation and etc etc. Asking price is RM 21k.
Thanks Al......is that an OBDI wiring harness or II?

And just to clarify does the 21k include everything, installation, misc parts, etc........all in for 21k?

Teejay: i wonder how available used S50B32 cranks are? i've heard from the US that the Getrag 260 (E30 gearbox) is preferred by those that have tried both.....what do u guys, that are runnin S50's think of ur gearboxes? and of course which are ya runnin?

Originally posted by Alvin@Jun 8 2006, 04:42 AM
Chris

.......As for the panel, some things can be worked out.
Hey Alvin....please let me know the details when ya get the time. While I love the M-Tech II kit, the front spoiler has always bothered me since it sticks out too much....too far forward, giving the car a long nose at the bottom.

Originally posted by Chris Cab@Jun 9 2006, 02:22 PM

Teejay: i wonder how available used S50B32 cranks are? i've heard from the US that the Getrag 260 (E30 gearbox) is preferred by those that have tried both.....what do u guys, that are runnin S50's think of ur gearboxes? and of course which are ya runnin?
occasional surface of the crank do come up here and there, but there is also another way to use the m54b30 crank....

if you wanna do the S50 engines, the 260 won't make the cut for long as input torque is at 260 Nm,you will need the likes of zf 310, either from the e36 328i or the m3s.....or you could go 6 speed...... :D

260 is preferred by e30m50 converts due to the overdriven 5th gear, plus the option to have a higher rear diff matched with the higher powerband of the m50 makes a perfect e36 m3 eater......

mind you , the cab has a weight close to the e36, so you need to plan your components proper....

not many e30s that have the s50 plant.....i know of only one.....the one....the only one..... :nyehehe:

Top Bottom