330i - Check Engine Light error thrown after fill up

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ghostrider

Club Guest
Hi all,Hope to get some input on the above. I've got this car about a month ago and all was fine until last Friday night. After a fill up, and on the way back home, about 10km in, the "Check Engine Light" came on. Stopped the car and restarted, but light remains.Since it seems okay, with no change in idle etc, I drove it home, slowly.Checked the manual, and it mentioned about the OBD detecting vapor due to the fuel filler cap not tightened enough. A little relief.Got it check at the mech the next day and the following errors shown (as handwritten by mech): -- 233 - Catalytic converter efficiency bank 1- 240 - Misfire, cylinder 3He cleared the codes and asked me to monitor.Jump forward to this morning (27/06), and I had to fill up. The CEL came on after 30km into the journey to work.Haven't had a chance to get it checked yet, but I am suspicious of the timing of the fill ups and CEL coming on.Would appreciate feedback/insights on this.TQVM

update.

Dropped by Optimum this morning (29/06), to check on the "Check Engine Light", as this was where the car was previously serviced.
Misfire didn't show anymore, but catalytic converter efficiency still shown.
Cleared and asked to monitor again. Also to use RON97 for the next fill, to see if the CEL is thrown.

Maybe your ignition coil? Just change few of mine, still two left to change.

haywire;754694 said:
Maybe your ignition coil? Just change few of mine, still two left to change.

tot, the sop is to change all ? mine had to, all eight... :(

I think Misfire usually will cause minor vibration when u start in the morning, mine faced the same pro previously but without 233 code

Come to think of it.... there is an "unevenness" about the morning idle, after startup. will get that looked into at next service.

Today, RON97 in, no "CEL" out, yet.

Could be either the o2 sensors, maf, ignition coils, or icv. If the real culprit is unknown then start with the cheapest solution ie clean the icv. Good luck.

I'm careful not to celebrate yet, will wait for a couple more fill ups to see.
In any case the CEL was not shown at this fill up, so .... yay!!!!

What I did, after searching through the webs, was to flip the rubber washer (??) in the fuel cap, coz it had a groove line in it.
Hoping it works in the long run.

Pls check either d previous owner eliminated the catalytic converter to after market type. .

330 shld hv 4 o2 sensors. . . 2 located after d catalytic converter. .

If u chance d catalytic converter to after market type. . .the check engine light will appear due to wrong reading from d o2 sensor. . . Its not affect ur car. . .

if d catalytic is ori then might be bad internal of d catalytic converter. . .

the previous owner has never touched the catalytic convertor.. neither has he had to replace any of the O2 sensors.

so ... it happened again while bouncing(literally) down the highway to seremban.

when I got back home, I managed to read off the errors with the scanner that I'd gotten (bmw scanner 1.40). Below the screenshot of the DME module

View attachment 25540

back to the workshop...

Top Bottom