325 M Sport - Whirring sound upon starting

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Daytona

Club Guest
Hi Guys,My car is now 18 months old and just this morning upon starting the engine, a loud whirring sound can be heard coming from the engine bay! It is definitely not the sound of a fan going at a higher speed, but more like a groan/grunt/whirring sound. Sorry hard to describe the sound!!After 10 minutes or so, it goes away. From what i experienced, it only happens on cold starts. Just wondering if you guys have experienced something similar?

I think it could be one of the belt pulleys or the belt tensioner, Daytona. Your unit is still under BSRI/warranty, so if it persists, just take it in to a dealer.

Thanks Schwepps, I definitely did that as the sound was not going away.
Initial inspection revealed that steering oil was very low.
It had somehow leaked.
They took the car in for 3 days and ascertained that the leak was only due to a faulty hose!!!
Extremely dissapointing and shocked actually that such a new car can experience a leak!
Anyway, just some info for all fellow forumers in case you hear such a sound.
It sounded way major than what it turned out to be thank God!

Thanks for sharing this, Couldnt believe myself that a leaky steering assembly can make such a noise..

Well, apparently there was hardly any steering fluid left to lubricate the column, hence the sound. Hope it is not common.

Top Bottom