2004 / 2005 BMWs

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Juan Powerblow

Club Guest
I'm just being a bit keh poh to see how many fellas in this forum purchased their new BMWs in 2004 and 2005. If you're new to BMWs, please share with us your feelings as to whether BMWs are all they've been made up to be and what are the things that make you glad or disappointed you bought a BMW compared to your previous cars. If you upgraded from an older BMW, please share your experience on whether the newer models have changed significantly or are they gradual evolution of past models and are these changes favorable or not. Noticeably, most cars are getting bigger and that can result in penalties in terms of performance and handling. Has this happened with newer BMWs?

I do a lot of traveling, and the Evo was my daily driver. I bought the E90 for three reasons:

- In the future it would be pretty difficult to sell a high-mileage Evo
- Driving the Evo all the time makes it less of a novelty
- Auto box and a turning circle that isn't like Jupiter's

The E90 was the only car I was interested in- good looks, RWD and a smooth-shifting 6 speed auto tranny. Why a 325? Well, the 320i is down on power and a host of other goodies, while it was extremely difficult to justify the additional RM110k for the 330 (which isn't gonna hold its resale value as well as the 325, judging by current E46 330 prices). Also, 18-inch run flats isn't gonna provide the kind of comfort I was looking for in a daily driver.

2 months and 4500 km later, and the E90 has not made me second-guess the purchase. The only complaint I have is the lack of space for a spare tire in the trunk. The Potenza RE0050A run flats aren't too bad, but replacement costs are ridiculous and I'm pretty sure better (and conventional) tires will transform the car's handling and make the ride more comfortable. Yes, the sidewalls of the run flats are that stiff.

This is my first BMW, but my parents used to have an E36 318iA. I'm not gonna even try to compare a 4-cylinder '93 CKD model with a brand new 6-pot CBU unit.

I hate the rubberised plastic covers that's in the e46...they get scratched easily..even with finger nails....=(

I got my E90 320 back in May 2005 and was contemplating also on the E46 325/318 because of the promotions by AB to clear stock. I decided on the E90 because the E46 model is already 7-8 yrs old.

The E90 is my daily driver and even though it can't compare to the 325 (even in the E46) in terms of power and driving enjoyment, I am very satisfied with my decision so far.

Things I like:
- Torque is great and can pull away from traffic lights pretty fast. Makes overtaking a breeze as well.
- Handling, especially taking corners and bends.
- Comfortable ride, even when driving at 170 km/h on North-South H/W
- Very quiet cabin
- 6-spd autobox, very smooth
- Fuel consumption is quite good for a 2 litre car

Dislikes:
- The run-flat tyres. Had to use lower pressures just to compensate on the bumpy ride, especially in KL/PJ
- The 4-pot engine sounds like a bloody diesel from the outside
- The cheap looking tail-pipe
- Lots and lots of brake dust

Originally posted by rookie@Sep 14 2005, 03:37 AM
I got my E90 320 back in May 2005 and was contemplating also on the E46 325/318 because of the promotions by AB to clear stock. I decided on the E90 because the E46 model is already 7-8 yrs old.

The E90 is my daily driver and even though it can't compare to the 325 (even in the E46) in terms of power and driving enjoyment, I am very satisfied with my decision so far.

Things I like:
- Torque is great and can pull away from traffic lights pretty fast. Makes overtaking a breeze as well.
- Handling, especially taking corners and bends.
- Comfortable ride, even when driving at 170 km/h on North-South H/W
- Very quiet cabin
- 6-spd autobox, very smooth
- Fuel consumption is quite good for a 2 litre car

Dislikes:
- The run-flat tyres. Had to use lower pressures just to compensate on the bumpy ride, especially in KL/PJ
- The 4-pot engine sounds like a bloody diesel from the outside
- The cheap looking tail-pipe
- Lots and lots of brake dust
Rookie, welcome to the Club and thanks for your acute observations which are consistent with the E90's monumental agenda i.e. to be better than E46 in every way, particularly, refinement and handling while being a bigger car. I've noticed the E90 320i can sound like a diesel outside but while you're cocooned in its stylish interior, it doesn't sound so bad. In fact, my experience with the same engine in 120i revealed a rev-happy peppy engine with the right soundtrack when stretched. Earlier versions of the valvetronic in the E46 318i sounded worse with less oooomph (no offence to E46 318i owners!). The problem with brake dust with BMWs is all too common and it's something all of us gotta grapple with

:) hey AlexC..a bit off topic but hows the evo9 as far as running cost go?? u say that its ur daily driver so was just curious..fuel,maintainance wise?

my wish list.. E90 325i, Evo9, Subaru Legacy GT

hmmmm...... :)

Originally posted by AlexC@Sep 13 2005, 06:34 PM
I do a lot of traveling, and the Evo was my daily driver. I bought the E90 for three reasons:

- In the future it would be pretty difficult to sell a high-mileage Evo
- Driving the Evo all the time makes it less of a novelty
- Auto box and a turning circle that isn't like Jupiter's

The E90 was the only car I was interested in- good looks, RWD and a smooth-shifting 6 speed auto tranny. Why a 325? Well, the 320i is down on power and a host of other goodies, while it was extremely difficult to justify the additional RM110k for the 330 (which isn't gonna hold its resale value as well as the 325, judging by current E46 330 prices). Also, 18-inch run flats isn't gonna provide the kind of comfort I was looking for in a daily driver.

2 months and 4500 km later, and the E90 has not made me second-guess the purchase. The only complaint I have is the lack of space for a spare tire in the trunk. The Potenza RE0050A run flats aren't too bad, but replacement costs are ridiculous and I'm pretty sure better (and conventional) tires will transform the car's handling and make the ride more comfortable. Yes, the sidewalls of the run flats are that stiff.

This is my first BMW, but my parents used to have an E36 318iA. I'm not gonna even try to compare a 4-cylinder '93 CKD model with a brand new 6-pot CBU unit.
Ummm... sorry to join the off-topic bandwagon but how much is the new evo9 priced?

Originally posted by supergripen@Sep 14 2005, 12:13 PM
:) hey AlexC..a bit off topic but hows the evo9 as far as running cost go?? u say that its ur daily driver so was just curious..fuel,maintainance wise?

my wish list.. E90 325i, Evo9, Subaru Legacy GT

hmmmm...... :)
Mine is an Evo 8 GSR. With 55 liters' of fuel capacity, I get close to 400km per tank with 50% highway 50% urban.

For Evos, the brakes pads and tires wear out pretty quick. I'm on my 3rd set of tires and front pads after about 43000 km.

There are also 3 different transmission fluids that need to be changed regularly- ATF III fluid for the SAYC every 20000 km, LSD Oil for the transfer case and GL4 fluid for the tranny (both every 30000 km).

Of course, the highest costs of ownership are modifications and speeding tickets.

:D i was offered rm260k for an Evo9..new and unregistered.oh,i thought the Mivec engine is supposed to be a plus point in tuning the engine further.i'm guessing that the oil change interval is 5000kms?

One of the Evo club members apparently picked an Evo 9 up for around RM260k. RM280+ is Mitsu Malaysia's retail price with warranty.

In standard form the performance and fuel consumption should be awesome. Even with mild mods like intake and exhaust the self-learning ECU should be able to compensate. However in high-power applications eg. cams and a bigger turbo, you're gonna have to retune the fuel/timing maps. The problem then, is that MIVEC varies with RPM and load- you can't accurately tune for something that's variable. And it's gonna be a while before HKS, Ralliart, Autronic et al release their Engine Management Systems for the 9.

Yes, most Evos change their oil every 5k.

thanx alex..actually toying with the idea of getting either an Evo or the Legacy GT.i almost bought an Evo7 a few years back but in the end it was my wife that refused the car..hehe.well,she'll be the one driving our car most of the time as i'm only home maybe 10 days a month on average.
in the end we decided to get the E46 328i..but feeling a bit dry on power now.

i can supercharge the bimmer or as an alternative get the Evo or the Legacy GT..my wife don't mind right now cuz she'll be getting a Suzuki Swift soon!!!

hmmmm....still leaning towards keeping the bimmer though cuz i've done up the cosmetics already but hell,those rice burners can really fly man!!!!

i'm a jock myself which means for me,driving fast is pleasure..so i need a fast one..my job sees me doing 800kph regularly but its not the same when u are on the ground la..

Top Bottom