1996 528i...

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

EuJax

Club Guest
Fellow enthusiast, Am considering to purchase a 1996 528i and would like to hear your views comparing it to newer like 2001 523i. I am not sure if this is a correct apple to apple comparo but it seems this 2 models are most available in the market now. My concern, what is fuel consumption difference between the 523i and 528i? Recent research in the forum seems to suggest 530i is the best all rounder, power wise too. I also understand from the forum that 525i Double Vanos has better power compare to this 528i Single Vanos. Again, comparing Single and Double, which is easier to maintain? Or are they both more or less the same? And how does reliability differ, if any? Is the 528i one of the most difficult to maintain due to nikasil issue? I search the forum and seems less talk about 528i...most people enquire and experience of the 525i and 523i, 520i....even 530i....just very few 528i....any particular reason? Appreciate your comment. Cheers. Regards

Year 2001 is 525i, not 523i.

FC for 523i and 528i is almost the same i reckon, some say 528i is better FC.

528i where got nikasil problem in M'sia?

If budget is allowable, then 525i is the best bet.

Hi, thanks for your quick reply. I was told that all the M52 have nikasil problem, no?

Why do you say 525i is the best bet?

Since your aim is 1996 528i, so year 2001 525i is the way u can consider.

If i ask u to go for 530i, then the price range will be bigger.

Nikasil issue affected only the UK models. So if you're buying a unit that's from UK that's when you gotta check if it has undergone a recall in the UK. If ure getting a Jap, Europe or local, then there is no Nikasil issue.

Thank you for the info. Appreciate it. :)

I find the CBU Auto Bavaria 528i has better interior quality compare to the later CKD 525i, does anyone else feel the same or is it just me?

Regards

I saw it too :)

By the way guys, does all the AB cbu 528i comes with multi function steering? This one i saw does not have it, its a 4 spoke steering without any functions.

Regards

EuJax;510284 said:
Thank you for the info. Appreciate it. :)

I find the CBU Auto Bavaria 528i has better interior quality compare to the later CKD 525i, does anyone else feel the same or is it just me?

Regards

About the overall build quality, yes i do find the CBU has an edge over the CKD ones. Same goes for the welding joints. This is my personal view & observation between the two.

EuJax;510305 said:
I saw it too :)

By the way guys, does all the AB cbu 528i comes with multi function steering? This one i saw does not have it, its a 4 spoke steering without any functions.

Regards

'96 model doesn't come w MFS. MFS came out in '97 onwards. But some guys here who drives '96 model have retrofitted MFS on it if i remember correctly.

Thank you X Benz. Actually i had found a '96 528i, 1 owner, CBU by Auto Bavaria. Asking RM 55k. The condition is so so but according to its 33k mileage, its suppose to be underused. Am thinking i need to spend quite a bit to touch up everything but hoping that its a good base to start and engine is genuinely underused....

However, the 2 front absorbers seems to have given way, the interior is new except the cream leather looks aged and used, the cream carpets are dirty as well, the front passenger seat is not align (tilting one side but the electric control works fine, any idea? bothers me a lot....), most rubber parts are aged, paint is still original but fade badly...

My assumptions, the owner does not use much of the car but does not take good care of the car either. OR , the mileage is simply being tampered...? Can sending the car to AB or Ingress rectify its true mileage?

Thank you.

55K is overprice for an e39 528i year 1996 with the condition that u stated. Try to nego to RM40K if the car sell by direct owner.

Thanks 7833, unfortunately its with a dealer, not direct owner. I believe market is below 50k but this guy is not lowering it there, understood as he needs to make profit its business afterall. Its hard to resist but i really need to know if the mileage is genuine....any ways?

By the way, this is what i meant by the seat slanting one side...the front passenger seat....any idea whats the cause and can it be fix?

P1070551.jpg

Thanks.

EuJax;510710 said:
Thanks 7833, unfortunately its with a dealer, not direct owner. I believe market is below 50k but this guy is not lowering it there, understood as he needs to make profit its business afterall. Its hard to resist but i really need to know if the mileage is genuine....any ways?

I think Ab able to read the actual millage for u.

Why not try to looking for other unit as market now is plenty with 96 or 97' e39.

Thanks. Yea might just do that....but not easy to find one with nice interior...most come with broken this and that...

Here is trying the photo again....

P1070551.jpg

Fail to post photo.

EuJax;510710 said:
By the way, this is what i meant by the seat slanting one side...the front passenger seat....any idea whats the cause and can it be fix?

P1070551.jpg

Thanks.

herbert;510313 said:
CARBI DECO LEATHER INDUSTRY, 7G & 9G, Jalan Bandar Puchong (next to TESCO), Selangor. Tel: (03) 5882-9227 ask for Jason.

Check this place, bro.

Thank you bro....appreciate it alot. Will keep you guys posted on whats the outcome...

33k km for a 14 years old car? I know some car are really low mileage but for the condition you are describing it is likely that it was tampered. Think carefully does the condition of the interior match the low mileage of the car (worn seats, worn brake/acceleration paddle). Look for stuff like that.

33k is just too unbelievable...even if the mileage is converted from miles to km...only 53,000km for 14 years which is like 3,800 kms per year???

think you should go have a look around for more options...the key word is patience and not rushing into deals...

Top Bottom