18" and 19" petrol consumption?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

laneza

Club Guest
hi all bimmers owners! On the subject of petrol consumption between this two size of wheel ( if same manufacture, spec weight etc ) is there any big difference? i'm looking to get new wheels for my e46 and fancy this type wheels ( secret :smokin:) but wondering either to take 18" or 19" since the petrol consumption also hike now...:eek: currently using 19" wheels...e46 look more "gorgeous+smashing" with 19"...i think 18" also nice...haizz don't know which one to choose lar...haiyaaa...

actually e46 putting 18 inc its quit nice d, and cheaper tyre then 19 inc.18 inc will be more easy to take care then 19 inc since u know malaysia road condition one la..haha

cheers on ur new buy

paul

hahaha that's why ar..but if i use 18", will go for 235/40/18 and 255/40/18...if 19" will go for 235/35/19 and 265/35/19...aiyoo im in dilemma now...

and one more thing...since many normal e46 standard wheels only 16"...so thats mean our spare wheels/tyres also 16"..if we using big wheels for example 19" or 20".
(normally shop only sell 4) ..if something problem with the tyre pancit on the way travel how lar put 16" as spare...not senget ar? is it orait ar?im still wondering now...

18 inc = front 225/40/18 n rear 255/35/18 depend on the wheel offset

regrading to ur spare tyre question i can answer u that's no problem because the smaller rim with bigger tyre, bigger rim with smaller tyre, cheers dude

so what size of tyre for this 16" spare equal to my 19" 235/35/19? maybe 60 or 70 thickness?

.....my e34 is running on 19" rims.....using 235/35/19 tyres....oledi 2 years. Never bothered to calculate the difference if using standard 15" rims (whatfor...difference to small..) Jerman is right again....u wanna play u pay.

In the Fraser's hill Drive...on the way UP....i got a flat front tyre....changed to standard 15" rim + 205/65/15 tyre....went up again and came down straight to KL. NO PROBLEM.

I just put 245 45 18" Rear, 235 40 18" front on 6,from 14" straight to 18" and i can see the difference in the petrol consumption, pick up is oklah, not as good as before. i dont dare do my top speed in my car now.

bluepanther;331709 said:
.....my e34 is running on 19" rims.....using 235/35/19 tyres....oledi 2 years. Never bothered to calculate the difference if using standard 15" rims (whatfor...difference to small..) Jerman is right again....u wanna play u pay.

In the Fraser's hill Drive...on the way UP....i got a flat front tyre....changed to standard 15" rim + 205/65/15 tyre....went up again and came down straight to KL. NO PROBLEM.

sekarang pakai tayar 19, petrol fulltank berapa jauh bole pegi? hehehe takmau coba 14" pulak ke???

Kaiza635CSI;331742 said:
I just put 245 45 18" Rear, 235 40 18" front on 6,from 14" straight to 18" and i can see the difference in the petrol consumption, pick up is oklah, not as good as before. i dont dare do my top speed in my car now.

Berapa byk difference bro? My car... pakai 17 ka... 18 ka... 19 ka... not noticeable la difference in petrol consumption.

....my e34 is running on 19" rims.....using 235/35/19 tyres....oledi 2 years. Never bothered to calculate the difference if using standard 15" rims (whatfor...difference to small..) Jerman is right again....u wanna play u pay.

..good info bro:top:..so i should get some tyre with 205/65/15 or 205/60/16 so that can balance with other wheels if my tyre flat one day...many thanks :D

bro,
Do your calculations here.........

http://www.kouki.co.uk/utilities/vis...ize-calculator

p/s: changing rims/tyres from stock 16" to bigger ones.......the moral of the story is if you want to PLAY then you have to PAY

many thanks for ur help..already found the solution..the result shows that if want cheap tyre for my spare, the closest to my 19" is 205/60/16 with only 1.67cm dif..if i can get 220/55/16 its more better only 0.41cm which less than 1cm!!!..thank you very much really appreaciate that..now i can go for 19" without any worries...hehe

syahruln;331747 said:
sekarang pakai tayar 19, petrol fulltank berapa jauh bole pegi? hehehe takmau coba 14" pulak ke???

Berapa byk difference bro? My car... pakai 17 ka... 18 ka... 19 ka... not noticeable la difference in petrol consumption.

hello, what engine using again? plus ur turbo charged mah.... dont have to tekan so much to get power...

haha i think if 14" to 18" sure got dif because of weight...unless if we use superlight weight CSL alloy wheels..haha..but like syahruln said no noticeable maybe ur car sentiasa makan banyak minyak,...hahaha:p..ya lah u rite lah bro..i think 18" to 19" no dif lah..and also 17" to 18"...

already decided now may go for 19" wheels...will take all the risk..hahaha

wallawei syahruln pakai turbo charged ar? no wonder lah he said no big dif..all the time fast one..

Jerman;331603 said:
p/s: changing rims/tyres from stock 16" to bigger ones.......the moral of the story is if you want to PLAY then you have to PAY

..Don't PLAY PLAY..

Does it make sense that provided the density remains the same, the greater the mass of the wheel, the greater the fuel consumption?

2cents,
From my personal experience and what I have read, weight plays an important factor in fuel consumption.
1. Try weighing the 215/55R16 tyres vs 235/45R17 and 245/40R18
2. In general, bigger rims means more metal = more weight but of course there are some quality rims which are really light which compensated the increase in rim size.

In the end of the day, it depends on what you want......gaya-mesti-mahu or "being-practical"

Top Bottom