17" staggered wheels

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

fahren

Club Guest
....still in use ka? :D Basically, I'm pretty happy with the 17" wheel setups as I'm a "clumsy" driver :eek: The added height ratio helps to cushion the unevenness of the road and to protect my rims against our infamous potholes.Problem is.....the design is a bit....errrm...."old-school" :D I was looking around for alternative solutions.....either they don't come in staggered set-ups.....or the designs that I like don't come in the size I hope for (all 18" and above). I'm looking for forged, light-weight alloys without the bling-bling factor in 17" sizes lah. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the suggestion Spaceman - appreciate it :) I was looking more at 3rd party rims...like Rays, OZ and others...but it seems that the selection for 17" sizes are pretty limited...and/or the designs don't appeal to me.

Another question tho' - do the weight differences and durability of the forged rims (3rd party) totally outweigh the OEM ones that come stock with the vehicle? If marginal...perhaps I might stick to those that came with my ride. Else, I guess I gotta search harder.

fahren;557720 said:
Thanks for the suggestion Spaceman - appreciate it :) I was looking more at 3rd party rims...like Rays, OZ and others...but it seems that the selection for 17" sizes are pretty limited...and/or the designs don't appeal to me.

Another question tho' - do the weight differences and durability of the forged rims (3rd party) totally outweigh the OEM ones that come stock with the vehicle? If marginal...perhaps I might stick to those that came with my ride. Else, I guess I gotta search harder.

Yes you're right, 3rd party 17" is very limited. Tuners/ aftermarket rims are made to include 'Bling..bling..' factor, 17" just wont do it - too small. Even 18" is only considered as Entry Level size which wont give you the 'Wow' factor too.

There are branded and non branded forged rim manufacturers in the market. And to talk about forged rims, there are a few types to name due to different process and material used. Forged rims in general are much tougher than cast iron and lighter too (but they are not indestructible) which explained the popularity but at the expense of $$$, u know la.

OEM ones are cast iron which is heavy, and they do crack under pressure. But its the process and material used, design, QC...which translate its price tag. Forged rims is not easy to produce cos you need the right facility & technical knowledge + lotsa $$$ to run. So, if you're looking at XXX Forged rims, go and find out more about the background history first.

For example, a forged 1 piece rims at 19" is btw 7-10 kg whereas Cast iron is about 15-18kg. So, go figure out how much weight you can save for 4 wheels.

Hope this help.

Top Bottom