Xenon Brightness

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Replay

Club Guest
I noticed that my E39's headlight brightness isnt that bright...Does a HID bulb's brightness deteriorate over time? I also noticed that one side of the headlamp is whiter than the other side which seems a lil bit yellow and slightly dimmer. is this normal?

I've been using it for more than a year. It will not deteriorate. Only that it will just kong when the time comes either the bulb or ballast.

actually xenon and HID, are these both items same??or HID is HID and xenon is xenon.cause they are items that sold in the shops like xenon 6000k for RM65 and HID 6000k for RM300.can anyone explain?if im not wrong HID is brighter than that RM65 xenon.isnt it?

Xenon and HID are two difference things. Two different technology. Xenon refer to the gas used inside the bulb and HID stand for High Intensity Discharge. HID need ballast but bulb with xenon doesn't need ballast.

Google "HID" to learn more.

I'm saving for HID flashlight

if your lights start to flicker then the ballast koyak d.

if lights different color then your bulb either going to koyak d or it is memang like that.

Yeah i noticed that one side of my bulbs is starting to be a lil different in color compared to the other side so I'm wondering if the bulb itself has a shelf life. When I compare with other beemers, the throw of my headlights is quite weak....

The stock BMW Xenon is 4,350K and that is why it is yellowish in colour. I have changed mine to the 8,000K and it's much brighter as compared to stock.

Strider;298402 said:
Xenon and HID are two difference things. Two different technology. Xenon refer to the gas used inside the bulb and HID stand for High Intensity Discharge. HID need ballast but bulb with xenon doesn't need ballast.

Boss, i beg to differ. XENON and HID is the same.

HID stands for High intensity discharge (more intense than orgasm) hehehee.... Xenon is the gas in the tube. So when u on the light the ballast will 9 9 charge to produce a very high charge to ignite the Xenon gas. something like our toilet light (see hang tang) AKA Florecent tube.

the Hallogen lights in normal car u can see XENON packaging is actually XENON look alike super white light dunno wat crap is cap ayam berkokok. these bulb pls becareful and they draw higher voltage and most oftenly can burn 9 your socket. this is my experience.

so , go the HID !!!!!

If I'm not mistaken, Xenon gas cannot emit light unless being charge with high voltage from the ballast.
Those Halogen-bulb-Xenon-Wannabe are wrap with color paper :rolleyes:

And no, higher K doesn't mean higher intensity. K is merely the color of the light. FYI, higher K means bad visibility in rain or fog. That's why spot lights are yellow or white, not blue or purple or all the funny funny colors :stupid:

Strider;298402 said:

Hi Replay,
Mine BMW E46 stock Xenon also developed similar problem! what happen? Even I changed the enitre xenon cluster unit? Please advise!

IsaacVky;432120 said:
If I'm not mistaken, Xenon gas cannot emit light unless being charge with high voltage from the ballast.
Those Halogen-bulb-Xenon-Wannabe are wrap with color paper :rolleyes:

And no, higher K doesn't mean higher intensity. K is merely the color of the light. FYI, higher K means bad visibility in rain or fog. That's why spot lights are yellow or white, not blue or purple or all the funny funny colors :stupid:

korek, korek, korek...

wsyap;433856 said:
Hi Replay,
Mine BMW E46 stock Xenon also developed similar problem! what happen? Even I changed the enitre xenon cluster unit? Please advise!

What do you mean by changing entire xenon cluster unit?
Have you checked the bulbs and you are sure that the bulbs are of the same age, manufacturer, kelvin, etc. You should do this if your car is not first hand.

Sometimes, previous owners may just buy used replacement bulbs to replace their blown out bulbs. They could accidently put osram D2S bulb on one side but having a philips D2S on the other side.

valkryie;433893 said:
What do you mean by changing entire xenon cluster unit?
Have you checked the bulbs and you are sure that the bulbs are of the same age, manufacturer, kelvin, etc. You should do this if your car is not first hand.

Sometimes, previous owners may just buy used replacement bulbs to replace their blown out bulbs. They could accidently put osram D2S bulb on one side but having a philips D2S on the other side.

Tk Valkryie,
I went to BMW spare part shop to buy the enire new xenon headlight unit , disassemble the old unit and follow the same code to buy? What happen it does not match the old one? Can I just change the bulb for my old unit too!

From wsyap

wsyap;433919 said:
Tk Valkryie,
I went to BMW spare part shop to buy the enire new xenon headlight unit , disassemble the old unit and follow the same code to buy? What happen it does not match the old one? Can I just change the bulb for my old unit too!

From wsyap

So you bought a xenon headlight unit to replace the original halogen unit (old unit in your own terms above)? Then the bulbs would be the same make and temperature.

But anyway if you buy two new bulbs you should get the same brightness but the new D2S going to cost you a lot in the region of RM 1xxxx if i remember correctly.

Why don't you just go to some accessory shop frequent by bmw owners and get second hand d2s bulbs. Some owners don't like original light throw color and upgrade their bulbs to whiter ones. The original bmw bulbs are then kept by these accessory shops for resale.

You can buy and test two bulbs from them. They will install the bulbs and you can check out the brightness. You only pay a fraction of a new bulb.

If the bulb is not the culprit then I am not sure what else could be the problem.

valkryie;433923 said:
So you bought a xenon headlight unit to replace the original halogen unit (old unit in your own terms above)? Then the bulbs would be the same make and temperature.

But anyway if you buy two new bulbs you should get the same brightness but the new D2S going to cost you a lot in the region of RM 1xxxx if i remember correctly.

Why don't you just go to some accessory shop frequent by bmw owners and get second hand d2s bulbs. Some owners don't like original light throw color and upgrade their bulbs to whiter ones. The original bmw bulbs are then kept by these accessory shops for resale.

You can buy and test two bulbs from them. They will install the bulbs and you can check out the brightness. You only pay a fraction of a new bulb.

If the bulb is not the culprit then I am not sure what else could be the problem.

Valkryie,
Actually my oroginal units are Bi-Xenon HD. The left hand side of the xenon light seems to turn yellowish compare to the right side after several years of use. Therefore I change one of the unit, the new unit does not throw same color comapre to the right although I give them the old unit to buy original one.? By the way, Ia m thinking to the take out bulb unit form my old unit and go to the accessory shop to prescribe the old one? What do yu think? Can you recommend me the shop frequent by bmw owners? Where is the location? Thank you!

wsyap

wsyap;433919 said:
Tk Valkryie,

From wsyap

Sorry to hijacked the thread...btw, how much did u purchase the entire hid unit from bmw? I suppose its from hella and consist of ballast+wiring+bulb(d2s)..rite?

wsyap;434183 said:
Valkryie,
Actually my oroginal units are Bi-Xenon HD. The left hand side of the xenon light seems to turn yellowish compare to the right side after several years of use. Therefore I change one of the unit, the new unit does not throw same color comapre to the right although I give them the old unit to buy original one.? By the way, Ia m thinking to the take out bulb unit form my old unit and go to the accessory shop to prescribe the old one? What do yu think? Can you recommend me the shop frequent by bmw owners? Where is the location? Thank you!

wsyap

Well this could explain why the color and brightness is not the same. The bulbs may not be the same. Actually what you should have done first is to replace the light bulbs and not the whole xenon headlight. If necessary replace both bulbs left and right. Test it out and see how it works out.

Anyway you can try motorsport division in sunway and there are also a light accessory shop nearby (one or two shops lot away near the Excel Bodywork paint shop).
Try to source 2 D2S bulbs from them. Make sure the manufacturer are the same and the same temperature. I forgot whether the Kelvin is indicated in the bulb or not but if not then you just have to try it out.

xstatic;434196 said:
Sorry to hijacked the thread...btw, how much did u purchase the entire hid unit from bmw? I suppose its from hella and consist of ballast+wiring+bulb(d2s)..rite?

Bosch sells them OEM. It comes with the entire headlight assembly together with the HID bulbs and Xenon control unit (ballast). You just have to take out old halagon headlight unit and plug in the xenon headlight unit. Connect the sockets and you are ready to go. Also need to reprogram computer to indicate xenon retrofit to remove warning light.

Price should be around 5-6K and 7K if source from authorised dealers but you do get a 2 year warranty from the authorised dealers if you buy and let them install.

valkryie;434221 said:
Well this could explain why the color and brightness is not the same. The bulbs may not be the same. Actually what you should have done first is to replace the light bulbs and not the whole xenon headlight. If necessary replace both bulbs left and right. Test it out and see how it works out.

Anyway you can try motorsport division in sunway and there are also a light accessory shop nearby (one or two shops lot away near the Excel Bodywork paint shop).
Try to source 2 D2S bulbs from them. Make sure the manufacturer are the same and the same temperature. I forgot whether the Kelvin is indicated in the bulb or not but if not then you just have to try it out.

Tq Valkyrie,
can you please give me more precise location of the motorsport division shop at sunway beacause I am not too familiar with the area!

wsyap

Top Bottom