WTA - e30 longshaft problem - advise needed

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

nevets

Club Guest
Hi sifus,Longshaft problem vibrating so got a recon unit but when jacked car up mech noticed that my longshaft slants therefore even if fit recon longshaft will cause recon longshaft to vibrate after a while.Question: when the car is jacked up, does the longshaft naturally 'slants' or it remains to be in a straight line? Mech says must do modifications to mounting and then only fit in the new recon longshaft...Pics enclosed...
image_00049.jpg
Pic showing longshaft 'slanting' ...
image_00048.jpg
another angle...So...should i just take the risk and go ahead and fix the new longshaft ORask mech to do the modifications first...

dude.. better do some research in the internet and seek opinions with some E30 sifus as if you don't properly angle to the optimum degree(this is very important!!) for your E30, you are going to get lost of power, drivetrain vibration, your gearbox lifespan shorten, U-Joint issues plus etc. etc.

just my thought,

the slanting long shaft wouldn't make any different. it was design in such a way.

without anything bad happened to your long shaft such as an accident, what will make your long shaft vibrate ...

the only weakness that i can see is the point where it suppose to hold rigidly such as:

1. Universal joint
2. Grooved ball bearing together with
Centre mount
3. Differential bushing

as i said, just my 2 cent

nevets;291544 said:
Hi sifus,

Question: when the car is jacked up, does the longshaft naturally 'slants' or it remains to be in a straight line?

Mech says must do modifications to mounting and then only fit in the new recon longshaft...

...should i just take the risk and go ahead and fix the new longshaft OR

ask mech to do the modifications first...

bro,
the reason the long shaft or prop shaft's existance is to transfer power from the engine to the rear wheels,via the main gearbox and differential.if the distance between the gearbox and diff is close,then the propshaft will not be halved.it will be 1 straight piece.but because of the distance and chasis clearance,this is not possible,hence the reason why it is halved and connected by U joints...and slanted.......:burnout:

sooo i gather the longshaft for its logical reason is built to be slanted...and i would just go ahead and change it...

thanks a bunch for all the feedbacks...

Top Bottom