What is the ideal rim size for E30?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

anxious

Club Guest
What is the ideal rim size for E30?I am currently on the original 14in (BBS basketweave).Have been thinking of "upgrading" when my tyres need to be replaced in say 10000kms.What would be better 15' vs 16' ?Also what choices do I have( I like BBS RS) ?Who much would a decent 2nd set cost?Where can I get it from?Thanks.

It will not look noticeably different if you move from 14" to 15".

IMHO i think the 16" is the max u should go. You get just enough rubber between the road and the rim. Anything more might lead to a harder ride -more wear and tear on bushes, absorbers, steering etc, more prone to bent rim syndrome. Furthermore, you might find your acceleration will be reduced.

I think tyre prices start to go up the bigger the rims. Dunno tyre prices for 16".

Mine are 15" staggered. 195/50 Front; 195/55 Rear, Goodyear F1 GS-D3 - RM225 and RM250, respectively.

Keep us informed on your final choice.

Cheers!

Bro for looks and performance ...

i dont think u can go wrong with 16's

cheers mate :D

superlalat,

don't go that direction unless you only intend to drive on airport runways only. You'll need 35-profile tires and can't lower your car too much, i've sat in cars wit 17inches and those are unconfortable enough. Stick wit 16inches max. :)

Anxious,

15" - optimum tyre size is 205/55/15 or the more common size of 195/60/15

16" - optimum tyre size would be 205/50/16

Be aware that as you increase the contact patch, your consumtion will increase.

Good luck looking for rims that fit the E30......they are worth their weight in gold.

i am running on 205/50/15, its gives a sporty look , but with the sacrifice of comfort get 16" 205/50 profile it will look good and peform well as stated above.

good luck

you got to be real dumb to put 18s on an e30...seen it here once on a 325iS & it was some ricey chrome rims! not to mention the amount of work to get it to fit.

In my opinion, 15s is the best all round wheel size for the e30...its bigger but not too big and you have a wider range of tire choice.
16s are nice, bigger but the tire size option gets less.

I run 225/50 15 street tires and 225/45 15 race tires.

I used to run 17s, those were big and the ride harsh...but it did look nice.

franklin

Originally posted by Franklin@Apr 11 2005, 09:48 AM
In my opinion, 15s is the best all round wheel size for the e30...its bigger but not too big and you have a wider range of tire choice.
16s are nice, bigger but the tire size option gets less.

I run 225/50 15 street tires and 225/45 15 race tires.

I used to run 17s, those were big and the ride harsh...but it did look nice.

franklin
what are your rim specs for your street tyres and how is comfort in your opinion on the 225/45/15?

Ori alpinas for E30...........easier to find life on moon than ori alpinas. BBS abit easier abt >RM2k.:)

Best size for ur car.....15" with a good balance of comfort, tyre price & durability.

16" will need more cost ( tyres ) and harder to find rims ( read ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE ) ....esp the BBS u mentioned.

17" & above.....good for looks, not ur wallet or kidneys. ( also wife, girlfriend & children [whichever applicable ] will complaint cos u will tend to swerve/brake hard to avoid potholes.....)

of course the comments R my opinions only....and yes, all comes at another price....fuel consumption & acceleration performance as well. ( unless u r also bolting in a supercharger....LOL )

select wisely.....

anxious..

ori alpina comes in 16" for the type 2. There are 15" and 16" dependong 1 piece, 2 piece or 3 piece rims.

The correct size for 15" is 205/55/15. You being in my ride b4 so you should know how it feels. But the tire price is ridiculous.

16" tires are easier to get in malaysia and also the options.

But as what other member said here b4, good luck in searching for rims man. If you wan to part with your 14" BBS, let me know.

Anxious - I am using 195/60 15 on BBS - I was initially skeptical about how it would look but my tyreman commented that it is okay as long as I use those tyres with a "squarish" section rather than roundish. He then slapped on a tyre for me to see for myself - guess what, I found that it was okay!!

I did this purely for one reason - comfort!! I did post some pictures up after that, and I think Fabian went along the same route too ..... his rims and mine are the same type, so you should take a look at his car to get some idea of how it looks.

How I wish I lived in KL, then I can see all your rims real time.

Elwine your rims are great but I just cant get over your cars handling, Ireland Engineering anti rolls?

Last week I saw a E30 on 16in Alpinas and it looked great.

Dont know yet, still got a few things to be done for my car eg steering rack replacement ( still leaks after repair kit) and differential 4.1.

So rims.......well if the right price......

ive alreadi tried the 16 rs, and 17 schnitzer rep. with no prob. the tyres still running good under the wheel's arch. dreaming to have 18" coz now im using wider bodykit, and the rear looks punchy inside and the wheel looks not fit the bodykit, so small im trying to have a 5x120 hub, axle and so on..on my wheel then trying to match my car with 18" breyton magic. is this can be done?

i saw Tom already done this! thx Tom u already racun me. tot i want to sell my car n now takjadi. e30 probably the best car ever!!! :p

Top Bottom