We still vote for them anyway

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Iqlima

Club Guest
KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 13 (Reuters) - Malaysia will announce on Thursday a sharp rise in road toll rates to help trim state subsidies, a source said on Wednesday, in a move that could spark a public outcry and raise inflation.Tolls will go up by as much as 60 percent and will affect users of five highways in and around the capital, Kuala Lumpur, said the source, who attended an official briefing on the matter. "The new rates take effect on Jan. 1," the source, who declined to be identified, told Reuters. "That's our New Year present."A spokesman for the Works Minister confirmed that an announcement would be made at a news conference at 3.15 p.m. (0715 GMT) on Thursday. He declined to give details.Under toll concession agreements that critics say favour operators, the government has to reimburse operators if traffic volumes and revenues fall short of pre-agreed projections.Most of the highways were approved in the 1990s by the administration of then Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad, which made privatisation and mega-projects one of its hallmarks.Works Minister S. Samy Vellu said recently the government would have to fork out 2 billion ringgit ($565 million) in compensation to five highway operators if toll rates were not revised.The operators include listed firms Gamuda Bhd (GAMU.KL: Quote, Profile , Research) and Lingkaran Trans Kota Holdings Bhd (LKTH.KL: Quote, Profile , Research).Litrak operates the 40 km Damansara-Puchong highway, where the toll is to rise 60 percent, to 1.60 ringgit from 1 ringgit now, the source said."The real toll is 2.10 ringgit, so the government is still subsidising 50 sen for each user," the source said.Residents along the densely populated stretch had protested strongly against an initial proposal to levy a toll of 1.50 ringgit, forcing the government to fix it at 1 ringgit. The top news, photos, and videos of 2006. Full CoverageSome 418,000 vehicles used the highway daily on average, reflecting a 14.5 percent compounded annual growth rate for the past seven years, rating firm RAM said in a review of Litrak.Government officials told the briefing that one reason for the shortfall in toll collection was due to motorists switching to alternative non-toll roads, the source said.The toll hikes, however, will not apply to Malaysia's biggest toll-road firm, Projek Lebuhraya Utara-Selatan (PLUS) (PLUE.KL: Quote, Profile , Research), a PLUS spokeswoman said.PLUS' rate increase is fixed at 10 percent every three years and the next increase is not due until January 2008.Malaysia's annual inflation was 3.1 percent in October year-on-year, down from a 7-year-high of 4.8 percent in March. ($1=3.537 ringgit)and don't make hoo haa about it http://www.malaysiakini.com/news/60872The editors-in-chief of all newspapers and television stations have been told not to play up the impending increase in toll hike on five highways, at a hush-hush briefing chaired by deputy prime minister Najib Abdul Razak yesterday.

If the toll rate increases on the LDP, those that commute from Puchong towards Sunway or Kepong towards PJ are serious disenfranchised. The highway is supposed to ease traffic problems but the queue forming up before & after both the toll plazas are horrendous, even at 7:30am!!!!

$hit!! Then I have to start charging u guys extra for my coffee bcoz i stay in Sunway lah. Better live in Puchong. Just like a toad under a coconut shell. Wont even know whats happening in KL. Dumb gar-ment! Then lower the bloody road tax lah. Not to say we pay higher roadtax we get express toll lanes or bigger parking or a special lane on the highway so we can cruise at 140km/h.

Bugger!

farneelah ,day in day out they collect money the loan gets paid so the loan is reducing but the toll go up...

XXX, I was thinking the same thing.

the report says the daily avg vehicles travelling on LDP is 418,000, i.e. based on the current rate of RM1.00, there will be toll collection of RM418,000 per day.
per month will be : RM12.5 million; per year : RM150.5million !!:eek:

This should be more than enough to cover the concessionaires' annual operating & maintenance costs, plus profit.

Not to forget, every year the no. of vehicles are increasing and also the no. of residents in that area too, especially in fast growing Puchong.

From my recollection, I can't remember any toll highways around Klang valley has stopped toll collection due to completion of the contract, and some are more than 10yrs already. :eek:

in the circumstances, we should be allowed to make a 'hooo haaa'.... unless u have crap loads of money in ur back room, or u're one of those who receive gomen contracts w/o tenders....

sub8sec said:

the report says the daily avg vehicles travelling on LDP is 418,000, i.e. based on the current rate of RM1.00, there will be toll collection of RM418,000 per day.

This should be more than enough to cover the concessionaires' annual operating & maintenance costs, plus profit.

Not to forget, every year the no. of vehicles are increasing and also the no. of residents in that area too, especially in fast growing Puchong.

From my recollection, I can't remember any toll highways around Klang valley has stopped toll collection due to completion of the contract, and some are more than 10yrs already. :eek:

There were a couple tolled roads that stopped collecting tolls after massive protest, namely Jln Cheras and Jln Kuching...of course the concessionaires were still collecting toll long after the concession had expired.

The concession for PLUS has been extended for another 20 years I think, originally supposed to lapse in 2015.

Its makes one wonder whether the government is protecting the people or promoting the concessionaires' interest, of which they themselves are the owners!!!

ALBundy said:
There were a couple tolled roads that stopped collecting tolls after massive protest, namely Jln Cheras and Jln Kuching...of course the concessionaires were still collecting toll long after the concession had expired.

The concession for PLUS has been extended for another 20 years I think, originally supposed to lapse in 2015.

Its makes one wonder whether the government is protecting the people or promoting the concessionaires' interest, of which they themselves are the owners!!!

The opposition made a mess of the Jalan Kuching toll. I recollect the concession agreement expired but it took a few days for the extension to be granted. If someone had paid the toll during that critical period he could have sued the government / concessionaire and won easily in court.

Quoted from bernama news...

"KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 14 (Bernama) -- Toll rates at five highways in and around the Klang Valley will be raised between 30 sen and RM1, starting Jan 1 next year, Works Minister Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu announced Thursday.

The five highways involved are Lebuhraya Damansara-Puchong (LDP), Lebuhraya Shah Alam, Lebuhraya Cheras-Kajang, Lebuhraya KL-Karak and Lebuhraya Koridor Guthrie.

The new toll rates for LDP will be RM1.60, an increase of 60 sen, Lebuhraya Shah Alam -- RM2.20 (up 70 sen), Lebuhraya Cheras-Kajang -- RM1 (Batu 9) and 90 sen (Batu 11) (both 30 sen more), Lebuhraya KL-Karak -- RM5 (Gombak) (RM1 higher) and RM3 (Bentong) (50 sen more) and Lebuhraya Koridor Guthrie -- RM1.40 (up 40 sen). These rates are for cars classified as Class 1."

Ade said:
Quoted from bernama news...

"KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 14 (Bernama) -- Toll rates at five highways in and around the Klang Valley will be raised between 30 sen and RM1, starting Jan 1 next year, Works Minister Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu announced Thursday.

The five highways involved are Lebuhraya Damansara-Puchong (LDP), Lebuhraya Shah Alam, Lebuhraya Cheras-Kajang, Lebuhraya KL-Karak and Lebuhraya Koridor Guthrie.

The new toll rates for LDP will be RM1.60, an increase of 60 sen, Lebuhraya Shah Alam -- RM2.20 (up 70 sen), Lebuhraya Cheras-Kajang -- RM1 (Batu 9) and 90 sen (Batu 11) (both 30 sen more), Lebuhraya KL-Karak -- RM5 (Gombak) (RM1 higher) and RM3 (Bentong) (50 sen more) and Lebuhraya Koridor Guthrie -- RM1.40 (up 40 sen). These rates are for cars classified as Class 1."

WTF .......Msia BOLEH.......

blackrobe said:
in the circumstances, we should be allowed to make a 'hooo haaa'.... unless u have crap loads of money in ur back room, or u're one of those who receive gomen contracts w/o tenders....

Off course we all allow to make "hoo haa" , but "well done much much much better than well said "

Abandon my car too !!

OSFlanker said:
If the toll rate increases on the LDP, those that commute from Puchong towards Sunway or Kepong towards PJ are serious disenfranchised. The highway is supposed to ease traffic problems but the queue forming up before & after both the toll plazas are horrendous, even at 7:30am!!!!

I do agree....at times where the jam start even before 7:30am !!! so whats the point of paying the toll everyday travelling from Kepong to Puchong where my working place is ??? :confused: Currently paying RM1 at Kepong LDP then another RM1 at Sunway still travelling time is 45min or at times even worse..:( end up now i'm rather using sg.besi to Puchong, more faster in terms of time travelling plus no paying toll and the distance of using LDP or Sg.Besi almost the same distance.:p

In future i think i might gonna let go my 86 & E30 to save toll and petrol price to buy myself a bicycle running with motor travelling to work :D :p

sub8sec said:

lu dah lupa masuk gaji shareholders, chairman, directors...

burn said:
lu dah lupa masuk gaji shareholders, chairman, directors...

ya, memang betul... but all their "commissions", rather than gaji already factored in the initial project cost, that's why the rakyat have to pay for 30yrs toll :mad:

Well sooner or later .... we will be queing at the Death Toll ! Sigh .... everything on rise ... petrol, ciggies, toll ... sooner or later my blood pressure will be rising too!

Mtech30

Top Bottom