Water Spots

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Jipster

Club Guest
Dont know whether this has been discussed, but need advice on:how to protect painjob from water spots - recommendations on products etc. are most welcome;how to get rid of them safely as i have tried washing them off but they are still there staring at me :(FYI car is outside 100% of the time as my house is space challenged....Comments advice all welcome. Thanks.

Jipster,

have you tried polishing it? It has to depend on how you got the spots. The worse way to get it is not to "dry" the car after washing it. The calcium content in tap water is very high and once it dries up, and left untreated can bond to your car and it's a real pain to get rid of. Rain water is not too bad.

I have something similar on my paint. If you look at the paint under a spotline at an "angle", you will see spots, these are caused by water and it is very difficult to remove, polishing will not remove it completely but it does help.

actuarry, the water spots or marks are due to minerals from the dirty air or tap water... calcium deposits etc.

so, if you make a lil weak acid solution from vinegar and wash it off properly soon after, it should work...

if it doesnt, you will have to resort to diamond cutting.... ;) if you need professional help, i am sure there are good detailers to help.

in fact, i am sitting at autodetailer, pj, doing that right now.... need help for the roof and the bonnet. ;)

Thanks dudes... yeah polishing the car would be the obvious answer. But what about long term protection? Would the polishing/waxing provide the protection?

Originally posted by Jipster@Mar 27 2006, 10:48 AM
Thanks dudes... yeah polishing the car would be the obvious answer. But what about long term protection? Would the polishing/waxing provide the protection?
I am sure kevster can help.

I had no problems with water spots on my ex-E36 after sending it for detailing by HB. Even the Kemaman air and rain did not affect it. All I needed to do was to clean the car regularly, usually once a week, and with plain water at that. Drying the car was a breeze.... no spots, nada.

Flash my man!! How is little emperor? Tantrums? Sleepless nights?

Anyway, now that u mentioned Kev.... yeah.... considering it. Will live with spots for next couple of weeks coz paint job still new. The Kevster advised against polishing etc. during this time.... will do up my ONE MTech driver's seat first :lol:

i think frequent was will helps the spots to stay away , from your car ,,

Jippy,

Live with it for now as it will be completely removed whe I get my hands on your ride anyway,.......for now, just wash as frequently as possible........only 2 doors easy mar.......

kevster30,

do you do freelance detailing for people or do you have a minimal charge for certain job? getting lazy and would like to have a detailing guru on my junkie... (hint... hint.... :) )

Kev.... soon dude.

Notiguy... pm the man and c if he's free. Its well known around here that he does very good work.

if you have watermarks, you shud get it done soon.
the watermarks will etch right into the paintwork and cause pinholes all over.... which may require sanding to remove. :ph34r:

prevention is essential.

Do what I did to my car. Let nature put a layer of gun-metal coating on it for protection.

Put some petrol/benzine/ ciggie fluid on it and burn it off.

Wash/polish after that ..

Question is - ada berani kaa ... :hmmph:

Zam!!! Are u back? How was US?

Lets meet up dude.... had lunchie with Lee and 5201 today at bangsar.... aku rindu kat engkau lah!!

wah waaaaaa.... so romantic! :yahoo:
maybe you shud try removing water spots from each other's back too....

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Originally posted by ah lian@Mar 30 2006, 10:27 PM
wah waaaaaa.... so romantic! :yahoo:
maybe you shud try removing water spots from each other's back too....

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Who told u !!! :blush: damn ..
Err .. u wanna join us .. threesome wud be nice .. :blush:

guys, need advices here on how to remove the water spots on the chromed rails around the 4 drs, as well as middle of front windscreen and both side mirrors. CARS dare nit do it with their acidic because it will etch away the wiper and leave black stains on the glass.

i read on the net many recommending diluted vinegar to remove the water spots. is it really effective? will vinegar eat away the wipers ?

Top Bottom