Water in footwells

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

David Y

Club Guest
Dear Sifus,Water is leaking into the footwells of the rear passengers. I cannot find the source of the leak(s) despite my mechanics checking and sealing the door panels.Has anyone similar experience? How did you resolve the problem?RegardsDavid Y

101% the door seal (btwn door card and door frame). U can reseal it easily.

I am having the same problem too. I sent in my E90 to Ingress and they told me they fixed it .....door seal problem. Now a month later, same problem ..... during carwash or when the car is parked and raining heavily, water seeps in via front driver's door and end up in the rear passenger footwell like David described. Rather disappointing that the problem was not fixed the first time.

Once u open the door card, make sure u use the new black seal, don't re-use the old seal. I kena many times before when i changed the power window until i decided to put in the new seal.

hmm, Ingress should know it? This should have happened. Don't they "water-test" the car before delivery?

Footwell Water

David Y;404288 said:
Dear Sifus,

Water is leaking into the footwells of the rear passengers. I cannot find the source of the leak(s) despite my mechanics checking and sealing the door panels.

Has anyone similar experience? How did you resolve the problem?

Regards

David Y

I kena also...all basah after heavy rain. My mech open the door card and apply glue / silicon at some rubber bits nearby the power window motor. But i was not there to witness actually what was done. He said its very common especially after changing power window when not done properly. Good thing is...free of charge. But i paid him RM10. Have to open the door card. If heavy leak at the front door, the water can also flow into the rear footwell. Mine was just the rear door.

bmw7833;404327 said:
Once u open the door card, make sure u use the new black seal, don't re-use the old seal. I kena many times before when i changed the power window until i decided to put in the new seal.

U put yrself arr?

feisaldzul;404582 said:
check also the area around your ECU...sometimes it gets clogged up

Which particular part? Is it under the aircond filter in engine compartment?
Why is it clogged? I reckon this must not be wet at all.

maybe want to test your front and rear windscreen...my front windscreen was leaking then....seems this is another common problem for our car.

For all my doors, my usual accessory shop guy removed the old silicone glue (black), cleaned and reapply new glue to the doors to stick the entire door card edge. Since i applied dynamat extreme to the doors, i asked him to also cut the dynamat extreme into strips to stick the doorcard edges to the door as double protection. If the glue gives way, i still have the dynamat sticking it preventing water coming in. Furthermore, it's reusable.

Secondly, maybe can try to take a sharp thing to clear up the "drainage", which is at the corner bottom of the door. If this is clogged up, water can't flow out, you may want to check this if removing the door card to ensure nothing is blocking the drainage hole. Can try pouring water to the window area and see if water comes out from the drainage.

initialM;404603 said:
Which particular part? Is it under the aircond filter in engine compartment?
Why is it clogged? I reckon this must not be wet at all.

Yes it is...there is also drainage there.

It gets clogged up due to leaves whenever u park underneath trees.

I suggest to test out what jaleek mentioned as well.

feisaldzul;404662 said:
Yes it is...there is also drainage there.

It gets clogged up due to leaves whenever u park underneath trees.

I suggest to test out what jaleek mentioned as well.

Thank god mine is OK as I did stripped everything previously & clear them.

ask someone to keep spraying water to your windscreen rubber linings. Better to use those pressure water pump use to wash car....then, feel underneath your dashboard if it's wet or try to see if got water mark...

another method - wind noise test, can also..infact, i used this to determine where my windnoise was coming from..then, one fine day, water started dripping underneath dashboard while heavy rain....

stick a lot of masking tape on the rubbers of ur windscreen...drive fast and if u find that windnoise has gone down, most probably got leak there...remove masking tape...if driving fast with/without masking tape gives u same windnoise amt, then no leaks lor...but if u find that driving with masking tape on rubbers gives u lesser windnoise, be prepared lor.

Hi all, I just collected my car from Ingress at noon after sending it in to fix the "water in footwells" problem ..... as other forumers mentioned here, it has to do with the door seal ..... they told me they replaced with new seals every time they open the door card. It was raining very heavily this afternoon (car was parked in the rain after i left Ingress with my car ... and thereafter driving in the rain too) ... seems the problem is not there anymore ....touch wood!

Top Bottom