Very Hard To Start

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

wan e46

Club Guest
Hye All Sifu And Frenz,I've facing this problem not every time...my car still can crank but cannot make the engine running..if can start also i must rem the paddle to make sure the RPM never go down...after a 30 second then the rpm will idle as a normalno indicator appear when this problem happen..i already change spark plug , plug cable & ignition coil due to mis fire ring last time..then this problem already happenwhat i can detect..it will happen in cool tempreture..what i means is when its rain or after the rain..if normal tempreture the car can start like a normalplease help me to solve this problem all the sifu's and frenz:top:

ooicc..

my fuel pump running like a walbro fuel pump bro..make some " berdengung " sound...its normal?

by the way..forgot to mention..my engine its M43 1.9cc

check your crankshaft position sensor, then check for fuel issues - fuel pump, fuel relay, fuel filter. A noisy fuel pump is an indication that it is stressed out. BTW, you have two fuel pumps, one on the left, one the right (under the rear backseat, bottom pad)

orait tq bro affan 66,

i will check the fuel pump for both side..what i heard is from right side only..bcoz i dont know that bmw have 2 fuel pump..haha

i also want to chage fuel filter..bcoz i dont know how many year that 1st owner never change it..

For the crank shaft position sensor....where can i check?..can give some picture where tehy is located?

thanks bro

affan66;787030 said:
check your crankshaft position sensor, then check for fuel issues - fuel pump, fuel relay, fuel filter. A noisy fuel pump is an indication that it is stressed out. BTW, you have two fuel pumps, one on the left, one the right (under the rear backseat, bottom pad)

For E46, there is only one fuel pump but 2 fuel level sensor.
The fuel pump with the fuel level sensor is located under the passenger seat (driver side). see item #7

Fuel pump and fuel level sensor - BMW parts catalog

tq bro jarance for this info..

i will check back all the item above..i think its more on fuel filter..

need to bring my car to worksyop

anything i will update here

My E46 had this problem when it's MAF sensor died. When the engine is warm, have to crank for about 10 seconds before it catches, and when it does, have to keep the revs above 2k until it can settle down about 30 seconds later.
Run BMW Scanner as it can either be the crankshaft sensor or even the camshaft sensor. Those are more likely problems than the fuel system since your problem only occurs when the engine is cold (or did you mean when it's warm?) and not otherwise.

Thanks bro Game-R for this info.

I also feels that is got some problem on MAF sensor..need to scan back my car to diagnose this problem

:smokin:

hi all,

I have exactly the same problem with my E46 m43..cold start crank problem..fail during 1st crank and only succeeded on 2nd attempt usually in the morning..any updates on this issue guys? really need your advise..thought it was the ICV but checked and double check with mechanic and its still in good condition..BTW the MAF was just replaced 6 months ago and running good..any ideas?

thanks all

hi, i have the same problem except mine no need to ram the pedal. it only happen when leaving the car overnight or more than 10 hours.

e46 325i m54

below is the link of the video, you can listen to the sound. managed to start the engine at the end of video (this is my routine every morning before driving to work, this is after 10 minutes usually). weird thing is when finished work want to go home, no problem at all to start the car.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1hCywdria1Lbm80bEl6UkQyVTg

SkyEvo said:
hi all,

I have exactly the same problem with my E46 m43..cold start crank problem..fail during 1st crank and only succeeded on 2nd attempt usually in the morning..any updates on this issue guys? really need your advise..thought it was the ICV but checked and double check with mechanic and its still in good condition..BTW the MAF was just replaced 6 months ago and running good..any ideas?

thanks all
Your problem is most likely fuel pump. check the fuel regulator.

In addition, open the left side tank and check the flow of the petrol on the return line. it is is weak, you may sometime have the engine stall when the fuel tank is indicating below 1/4 full.

zyusri said:
hi, i have the same problem except mine no need to ram the pedal. it only happen when leaving the car overnight or more than 10 hours.

e46 325i m54

below is the link of the video, you can listen to the sound. managed to start the engine at the end of video (this is my routine every morning before driving to work, this is after 10 minutes usually). weird thing is when finished work want to go home, no problem at all to start the car.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1hCywdria1Lbm80bEl6UkQyVTg
Change the fuel pump. to confirm connect a pressure gauge at the fuel rail. The pressure should be 3.5 bar.

btw, I think your battery is weak.

thanks jarance for watching my video and your reply.

i just changed the fuel pump less than a year ago because of jerking when accelerating.

as for battery, i forgot to check the original size of it before i changed it last november. BA guy also not sure what is the original battery size for my car. currently i'm using century DIN66. Isn't the minimum voltage of battery before starting the engine is 12V? or it's not enough?

i'm just hoping it's not a starter problem...

thanks.

i thought if i crank any longer with the engine unable to fire up might damage something... well i tried the longest around 5-6 seconds and can only listen to that sound

zyusri said:
i thought if i crank any longer with the engine unable to fire up might damage something... well i tried the longest around 5-6 seconds and can only listen to that sound
Looks like starter problem. Starter gear not kicks in to engage the engine to start.

tweiboon said:
Looks like starter problem. Starter gear not kicks in to engage the engine to start.
yea.. sent it to albert a couple of months ago for diagnostic and repair. It was starter problem. thanks

Top Bottom