Vehicle Tracking and Recovery

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

vin75

Club Guest
Hi Guys,I read with deep regrets that one of our member got carjacked last week.It did not cross my mind until now to have the optional vehicle tracking and recovery system fitted in my ride later.Are these any good / is it worth it to have 'em fitted ? I heard these low lifes are pretty slick and able to do their 'stuff' in a matter a hours (dismantle the car etc etc) , so not sure if this system will be useful.

Go for Cobra Connect bro. It's one of the best around. You can check out their shop in ttdi.

Their item has gps/gsm tracking, there are different settings and also recovery teams which will liase with the police in the event of theft.

There is an annual maintenance fee charged annually but I don't know what that is today. Go check them out.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Bro there is a local guy who is very well verse in this GPRS ( in this line for 12 yrs) ...have installed it to all my trucks...the service is very good.and the respond too very accurate.....already fitted in my new Triton and Saga as well.....thinking to install in my F30 too.....the costs ard less then 3k.......but he told he want see the wiring 1st in the f30...will get the next week and will see how..........finger cross easy fix.......

insomniac;823971 said:
Go for Cobra Connect bro. It's one of the best around. You can check out their shop in ttdi.

Their item has gps/gsm tracking, there are different settings and also recovery teams which will liase with the police in the event of theft.

There is an annual maintenance fee charged annually but I don't know what that is today. Go check them out.

Hi bro, thanks , but i am actually looking at the stuff the dealer is offering ( telematics platform accessory ).

Satrian3;823972 said:
Bro there is a local guy who is very well verse in this GPRS ( in this line for 12 yrs) ...have installed it to all my trucks...the service is very good.and the respond too very accurate.....already fitted in my new Triton and Saga as well.....thinking to install in my F30 too.....the costs ard less then 3k.......but he told he want see the wiring 1st in the f30...will get the next week and will see how..........finger cross easy fix.......
Hi bro, thanks for that. Fitting these sort of thing from outside vendors, will it not void the warranty? However the cost you've mentioned is way cheaper than what was quoted in the dealer's brochure = RM5,900 and am not even sure if it is inclusive labour charges.

Satrian3;823981 said:
Bro wat we need is the fast feedback if anything happens.............
Hi Bro, your're absolutely right , fast and furious ...:burnout:

Another fast check with my vendor......a new portable GPRS is on the way fr Germany...only a few units......size in small and u just need to charged it on the cig chock or at home ........can last for 3 days......u ust need to hide somewhere inside the car..........but no on/off engine.........and its 1st in MALAYA.........

Guys

All sophisticated gps tracker installed merely to make yourself feel safe (although not really safe). Whenever new gadgets arrive to market, there will be counterpart arrive in black market so nothing you can prevent from being hijack.

Just browse GPS jammer.. have a look and think how you gonna track ur car (if anything happen) ?
http://gpssystems.net/gps-jamming/

Yup. Best to check with bmw first. Nowadays thieves are pretty sophisticated as well.

My friend almost had his e90 msport stolen. They drilled into his door to disable central locking but must have been disturbed by passersby.

Pro Thieves nowadays are too clever. They will assume you have tracking devices installed and immediately drive the vehicle inside a container where any form of tracking device is effectively useless. They will then take their time to dismantle the device. Therefore, even with a tracking device, you only have that possibly ten minutes to track it and thereafter, adios.

If you really want a tracking device, you don't have to pay thru your nose, just DIY. Get an old phone, enable friend finder, or get an old iPhone or smartphone, get a supplementary line for $10 per month, activate data on required only, enable location finder. Hide phone inside the car. Charge it every few days. Accuracy is about 50-100 meters.

Honestly, my opinion is that, if your car is hijacked or stolen, not unless its recovered immediately, it'd better to just let it go and claim insurance. You don't know what's been done, or could have been involved in some nasty accidents.

The better alternative is a install a tactcham rated vehicle immobiliser, if you have been hit from behind, enable the immobiliser, if a hijack does occur, give the thief the keys and run far away, in less than a few hundred meters, the vehicle will be stopped dead on its tracks and the lights and horn will be blaring for attention. The thief will have no choice but to abandon ship to save his ass.

A good brand is auto watch from UK but such installation will involve rewiring and will definitely void warranties.

vin75;823967 said:
Hi Guys,
I read with deep regrets that one of our member got carjacked last week.
It did not cross my mind until now to have the optional vehicle tracking and recovery system fitted in my ride later.
Are these any good / is it worth it to have 'em fitted ? I heard these low lifes are pretty slick and able to do their 'stuff'
in a matter a hours (dismantle the car etc etc) , so not sure if this system will be useful.

wonder if you got it installed? i am having the same concern

Hi guys... I am working for a company that supplied gps tracking system specializing in oil & gas industry.. and I have to say this
All gps tracking devices will involved wiring and will void your warranty unless a written approval given by manufacturer.
Periodic monitoring is required by yurself to ensure the tracker is active
Do not take frm vendors who do not have a recovery team.. all the promise n blabla bla of working close wit police etc usually don't work...
GPS signal is easily lost... just remove the antenna/cover with aluminium sheet n the gps will b inactive
You will hav approximately 5 to 10 mins after hijacked to trace the car movement.
it is best to install yourself as u can hide it in places which r not "standard".. under glove box is the norm foe gps installers.
GPS jammers work...

NOt deterring u guys to install.. juz dont rely heavily on the system... my company do install for personal vehicle n alhamdulillah so far we hav 100 percent recovery, but its more to luck n early detection..
My advise... purchase it frm bmw themselves... dont buy expensive aftermarket units as they do the same thing.. rm5900 frm aftermarket is expensive... get a cheap unit.. n if u dont hav warranty.. pm me n I introduce u to my technician.. juz pay him a small fee to install it for u..
Juz my thots...

ariff habshi;834840 said:
Hi guys... I am working for a company that supplied gps tracking system specializing in oil & gas industry.. and I have to say this
All gps tracking devices will involved wiring and will void your warranty unless a written approval given by manufacturer.
Periodic monitoring is required by yurself to ensure the tracker is active
Do not take frm vendors who do not have a recovery team.. all the promise n blabla bla of working close wit police etc usually don't work...
GPS signal is easily lost... just remove the antenna/cover with aluminium sheet n the gps will b inactive
You will hav approximately 5 to 10 mins after hijacked to trace the car movement.
it is best to install yourself as u can hide it in places which r not "standard".. under glove box is the norm foe gps installers.
GPS jammers work...

NOt deterring u guys to install.. juz dont rely heavily on the system... my company do install for personal vehicle n alhamdulillah so far we hav 100 percent recovery, but its more to luck n early detection..
My advise... purchase it frm bmw themselves... dont buy expensive aftermarket units as they do the same thing.. rm5900 frm aftermarket is expensive... get a cheap unit.. n if u dont hav warranty.. pm me n I introduce u to my technician.. juz pay him a small fee to install it for u..
Juz my thots...

Thanks for the advice bro, so you are saying go for the one BMW dealership sells? Ingress quoted me 5900.

IMHO, rather than using GPS (or any other similar system) to track the car, use those that will immobilise the car when it has been driven some safe distance away from you and it stop right in the middle of traffic with light blinking and horn ON to attract attention. This will flee the thieves. Isn't this more effective to get back you car in its original condition?

ceteh;834853 said:
IMHO, rather than using GPS (or any other similar system) to track the car, use those that will immobilise the car when it has been driven some safe distance away from you and it stop right in the middle of traffic with light blinking and horn ON to attract attention. This will flee the thieves. Isn't this more effective to get back you car in its original condition?

i wonder if any bros here has this set up on their cars. I would go for this, as long as warranty still intact

Top Bottom