Tyre Allignment

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
eddiefiola said:
publicbus n the rest, go to Manji Lai from MP Auto down at Sunway. he can fix your problem...... don't waste ur time lah.......

Bro - this is Sunway KL or Sunway Seberang Jaya,Butterworth? I am from Penang.

I'm also looking for a good tyre shop in Penang/Butterworth to do alignment and balancing.

Haven't found any good ones, most of them just get the alignment right for a short while and after 1-2 months the alignment is off again. :(

Wheel alignment is the science of aligning the rear wheels to run in the same tracks as the front wheels. Correctly aligned wheels can improve the mileage tires will last by up to 10 000 kms.

In cars with double wishbone suspensions, camber angle may be fixed or adjustable, but in MacPherson strut suspensions, it is normally fixed. The elimination of an available camber adjustment may reduce maintenance requirements, but if the car is lowered by use of shortened springs, the camber angle will change. Excessive camber angle can lead to increased tire wear and impaired handling. Significant suspension modifications may correspondingly require that the upper control arm or strut mounting points be altered to allow for some inward or outward movement, relative to longitudinal centerline of the vehicle, for camber adjustment. Aftermarket plates with slots for strut mounts instead of just holes are available for most of the commonly modified models of cars.

it makes me giggle when i started to read the post and "recommendation" here. things like "dont do camber... align front only.. blah blah blah.." the best one.. adjusting the steering wheels.

there is three thing in wheel alignments : 1 toe, 2 camber and 3 thrust angle.

toe is the horizontal angle of tyres facing front. either toe out or in. out meaning either pointing inwards or out. i always make sure my front tires are 0-0, meaning both totally parallel pointing front or a little toe in. but both must of the balance to create 0 thrust angle. for rear tyres, i am always toe in by about 4-5mm. makes a huge different at high speed.

amber angle is the vertical angle of the tyres at rest. negative angle meaning leaning inward and positive is out. this angle do not contribute much to drive line (whether the car run straight or not. most tyreman will give you their theory but they didnt go to alignment school) . camber contributes to cornering grip. and most car today has something called progressive camber. i will run most of my tyres a little negative camber just because i am an aggressive driver. otherwise 0deg or even a little positive is ok.

now.. the fun part.. thrust.. if you manage to get the front to be 0-0, then the whole deal about the car pushing off to the right or left when u lift our hand off the steering is down to the total thrust angle of your rear wheels. you need an one hour teh tarik seission with me to learn this. but after you know the basic, no tyreman can bull shit you and you can correct any kind of alignment issue you will ever have.

most people (tyreman) only look at 1 and 2. which in general.. sufficient.. but to me is not complete.

alantiong;826551 said:
you need an one hour teh tarik seission with me to learn this. but after you know the basic, no tyreman can bull shit you and you can correct any kind of alignment issue you will ever have.

most people (tyreman) only look at 1 and 2. which in general.. sufficient.. but to me is not complete.
Bro, when can meet u for the tarik? My e46 super hard to do alignment wan. Every time have to go back to shop and adjust and readjust the steering column to get the steering straight.

- - - Updated - - -

alantiong;826551 said:
it makes me giggle when i started to read the post and "recommendation" here. things like "dont do camber... align front only.. blah blah blah.." the best one.. adjusting the steering wheels.

there is three thing in wheel alignments : 1 toe, 2 camber and 3 thrust angle.

toe is the horizontal angle of tyres facing front. either toe out or in. out meaning either pointing inwards or out. i always make sure my front tires are 0-0, meaning both totally parallel pointing front or a little toe in. but both must of the balance to create 0 thrust angle. for rear tyres, i am always toe in by about 4-5mm. makes a huge different at high speed.

amber angle is the vertical angle of the tyres at rest. negative angle meaning leaning inward and positive is out. this angle do not contribute much to drive line (whether the car run straight or not. most tyreman will give you their theory but they didnt go to alignment school) . camber contributes to cornering grip. and most car today has something called progressive camber. i will run most of my tyres a little negative camber just because i am an aggressive driver. otherwise 0deg or even a little positive is ok.

now.. the fun part.. thrust.. if you manage to get the front to be 0-0, then the whole deal about the car pushing off to the right or left when u lift our hand off the steering is down to the total thrust angle of your rear wheels. you need an one hour teh tarik seission with me to learn this. but after you know the basic, no tyreman can bull shit you and you can correct any kind of alignment issue you will ever have.

Very informative and knowledgeable...you remind me of Yap GT34, the club need more people like you...thanks bro!
Err...about 'thrust'...can I join the teh tarik session? Would love too...:love:

Top Bottom