Tyre advice for 19" RunFlat

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

davidw

Club Guest
Hi Guys,Need expert advice here for 19" Runflat tyre.Type:Front - 245/40 R19 (found pricing around RM2k)Rear - 275/35 R19 (found pricing around RM2.3k)What brand and model should I consider? Read articles on Bridgestone Pontenza RE050A, S001 and RE001. I know RE050A is runflat but the rest, uncertain.Any other brand that I need to consider?Thanks.David

Hmm no one answered, so I will.
You're running the same tyre sizes I have on 3 of my cars.

I wanted to get the RE050A RFT but seems like they're out of stock quite often, and they asked me if I wanted to wait for them to order from SG. By 'they' I mean the tyre shop guys, it seems like they all get it from the same source (and that's my deduction after dealing with a massive sample size of two shops). Bridgestone isn't that cheap, but can't remember the actual pricing. They're very good tyres though, as far as RFTs go.

I had Dunlop Sport Maxx RFTs before as original tyres, but they didn't seem to last very long, and they seemed to be a bit more fragile. Lost 2, one front to a fairly large bolt, and the rear to a fairly large pothole. The pothole tore the side, which surprised me as I figured that the sidewall would've been able to take a bit more. 245/40/19 would be about 2k, and 275/35/19 would be about 2.2k. Not the best tyres, wouldn't get them again.

I looked at the Goodyears, I had a lot of fun previously on non-RFT Eagle F1s, but apparently they only had Excellence RFTs, which went for 2.2k front and 2.6k rear.

In the end I got the Pirelli P-Zero RFT, 2.5k front and 2.9k rear. Decent tyres, good dry but ok wet grip, not that noisy and reasonably comfortable. If I had it my way I'd have non-RFTs, but there's no space for a spare tyre. I'd probably try for Bridgestones next time.

Top Bottom