Turbocharged! A little help..

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

StRat

Club Guest
Brothers and beautiful sisters.. I've recently inherited an old Toyota Corolla 1.6SEG from a relative who's no longer going to be in town :confused: The instructions given to me were merely to keep it alive and in driving condition for as long as I could. So, naturally, without much or any excitement, I decided to go pick it up today. It was indeed a sight for sore eyes. A dust covered, beat up looking piece of scrap metal with bird poo for accessories :eek: However, to cut the long story short, my excitement level quickly changed from non-existent to a new and heightened level when I noticed a few HKS meters and gauge on the dash :eek: Didn't wait a second longer before I cranked up the engine.. and VROOOOMMM! This thing is a monster! :D Red line's at 8000rpm and 0 - 100 a LOT faster than my 4 potter :eek: Took it for a few spins before my curiosity made me drive it in to the nearest performance-looking-type workshop. Here's a quick review after popping up the trunk. This car has had a transplant A Toyota Supercharger engine with a bolt on TD04 Twin Scroll Turbocharger. I have no idea what all that means but the guy says it churns out a hearty 250BHP. Damn! :D Ok, back to the topic. I'm seriously considering on doing this car up. Just so I can go bully some Kancilutions on the weekends :D Hehehe.. Its suspensions are out. Tires are botak kau-kau. Drive shaft is out. Alignment totally gone. Old school sifus, what can I do? Where can I buy 2nd hand parts for the car? What do I need to change? The car is wobbly now and the idle is unstable. I don't wanna spend a bomb on it. It is after all, an old car. Just wanna make sure everything is in good and safe working condition so I won't have to see bolts and nuts flying out of the hood while driving :eek: Names and contacts of people who could help would be very much appreciated. Thanking all in advance. Cheers! :) Turbo Dummy,StRat

watever it is, the first step is to make sure the brakes, suspension system and tyres are in tip top condition.

After you get the mechanicals sorted out, drop money on the suspension (coilovers, sways), lightweight wheels and brakes. Then strip out the interior and install a full cage and other chassis stiffening measures.

Go sign up at local autocross and track events. Race safe. Have fun!

Btw nice find :)

XXX should be able to lead u to the right ppl... He races a toyota for MME...

The engine would be the 4A-GZE engine..but since it's turbo charged, I guess it's 4A-GTE hahah..

wahahahaa...good find strat. ori supercharged pistons are forged, v good stuff. with a steel crank if i'm not mistaken. and dont mistake the 1.6l powerplant, it willl make easy 300hp without breaking a sweat. :D

just get those 'potong kereta' shocks from japan.make sure its for your model. they're stiff, but since its a fun car, it shouldn't matter.

idle could be a few things. best case scenario you could be running some aftermarket cams :D :D if not could be throttle body or some leaking hose somewhere.

have fun... :D

kelvinp, KL2DC, fabs, jumpman.. thanks! Bringing it in to another mech today to do a diagnostics :) Will post pics later..

Brader Zoggee, boleh tunjuk ajar ka? So what should I do now? Are 2nd hand parts easily available?

Sudut, only if the repair bills are not going to kill me first.. :p

wah inherited ar? good 4u bro
are u sure after u done up everything the ex-owner won't ask it back?
hehe

ramsing;206054 said:
wahahahaa...good find strat. ori supercharged pistons are forged, v good stuff. with a steel crank if i'm not mistaken. and dont mistake the 1.6l powerplant, it willl make easy 300hp without breaking a sweat. :D

just get those 'potong kereta' shocks from japan.make sure its for your model. they're stiff, but since its a fun car, it shouldn't matter.

idle could be a few things. best case scenario you could be running some aftermarket cams :D :D if not could be throttle body or some leaking hose somewhere.

have fun... :D

Bro, you're really making me wanna get out of my office chair now and head straight to the nearest chop shop and performance mech :p

300HP, sure bo?! :eek: With the current shocks and brakes, I won't take it pass 60km/h. How much can I get these things for at the chop shop? Thanks so much for the info! Cheers! :)

theCROW;206057 said:
wah inherited ar? good 4u bro
are u sure after u done up everything the ex-owner won't ask it back?
hehe

gagak, most likely not.. but even if they do, its a REALLY close relative lar. No harm giving them a hand. The ride is really unstable and unsafe now :) Good news is I've got a sure 6 months with it. That's enough time for me to mod it kau-kau! Hehehe.. eh bro, seeing you this Friday?

Zoggee;206058 said:
StRat...

register yourself at www.hpcevents.com .Play there not on the road and you shud come PNDC....wanna see a Toyota play???

Zoggee sok-sok.. joking about the road race la. My legs shiver at 110km/h, how lar to race? Hahaha.. Thanks for the offer tho.. where's PNDC? Somewhere in Puchong I last heard? Really wud wanna check it out and get pointers from you.. Cheers! :)

Now that you've asked...where is PNDC????

Oh yeah...issit AE92..??? if it is then used aftermarket suspension parts is cheap. Just found one for a friend with similar engine set up as yours.

strat, take a photo and post here lah... remember to blank out the number plate... ;)

Just keep outside scruffy lookin and maybe throw some cushion on the parcel shelf so folks think is pakcik out for sunday drive, then whoosh!

Zoggee;206074 said:
Oh yeah...issit AE92..??? if it is then used aftermarket suspension parts is cheap. Just found one for a friend with similar engine set up as yours.

Thanks for the map. What's an AE92? E92 I know la.. hehe.. :D All I know is its a 1.6 SEG Toyota Corolla.

fabianyee;206086 said:
strat, take a photo and post here lah... remember to blank out the number plate... ;)

The car.. at M-Speed (I know, I know, wrong place to be.. just getting a friendly opinion :))
Picture111.jpg

The engine..
Picture095.jpg

The worn out mushroom..
Picture097-1.jpg

The blow valve?
Picture098-1.jpg

The thing that makes my back stick to the chair?
Picture101-1.jpg

What the heck does this do?
Picture103.jpg

The intercooler.. the bumper's been cut out..
Picture099.jpg

I'm suprised I didn't skid and hit a tree on the way there..
Picture104.jpg

Turbo timer and RPM..
Picture105.jpg

What the heck is this?
Picture096.jpg

Boost meter (My aunt must think it is the clock! Haha :D)
Picture108.jpg

Exhaust.. Can put both my hands in there :eek:
Picture110.jpg

TEIN Adjustable Shocks..
Picture115.jpg

Top Bottom