Turbo m43 e46 - Anybody actually done it?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

minivan

Club Guest
Hi there all,Been searching the threads, and yes there has been some discussion on this, its led me to moselman turbo kits, etc... but was wondering if anybody has actually done this to their m43? whether with an aftermarket bolt on turbo kit or even a customized one? Would really like to know the costs involved? where/by whom it was done? Whats it like to live with? etc...I have a e46 318i m43, don't plan to sell it (no more hutang maa), so am seriously thinking about turbo charging it for extra umph. But nothing power crazy la... light pressure only to maintain reliability...thanks!!

buy a 325 halfcut...good sound+good torque....cost 15k++ at muar (need to trade in m43)

I don't think M43 is worth the effort to turbo charged. M43 is a very refined engine which is the last batch of the SOHC 8 valve engine from BMW since late 80s. This engine design lasted from E30 318i up to E46 318i (non facelift). Love it as it is.

Nothing beats displacement and thats where all the guys will say UPGRADE TO M54. Go for the bigger displacement you can and you will not be sorry.

But upgrading or transplanting 4pot to 6pot for e46 is a long story bro.

But else, just trade in your car and get the 325i.

Bro minivan,

Its relly not advice that install tubo for m43 engine. Because after all you need prepare a ton of $$$ to maintain you baby. (even you not utang any) ori spec will enuff for fun drive in town, or you kenal racun by other member..? then the age of engine is old too..

If budget allow, just buy another power car.. sure will no regret.

p/s: my ex-ride also m43 engine..

elwine30;451304 said:
m43 is a very refined engine which is the last batch of the sohc 8 valve engine from bmw since late 80s. This engine design lasted from e30 318i up to e46 318i (non facelift). Love it as it is.

i like this!!

turbo on m43 - speak to forummer phyton dave, he had one very quick 36 manual... sold..

seen the car myself many times.. phyton after some vodka, hehe :wink:

sachseelan;451863 said:
turbo on m43 - speak to forummer phyton dave, he had one very quick 36 manual... sold..

seen the car myself many times.. phyton after some vodka, hehe :wink:

that's a Turbo M42... 1.8 16 Valve from the 318is..

As for the M43, there are 318i which go for the custom turbo route. But it won't be cheap.. can cost anything between RM5k - 15k depending on the set up and engine remapping..

By the time u're done with the turbo conversion, you'll probably asking yourself why you didn't trade in the 318i for the 325i... :p

QD250;451846 said:
i like this!!

Thanks QD. I still do have soft spot for the M4x SOHC engines. Plus, don't under estimate what those engines can do. Bigger engines can be faster at straights but not necessarily in corners.

and lets all also not forget that after doing the turbo u should at least get better brakes too.
buy a 325 instead and save yourself all the hassel. u get the power, brakes and suspension all in one ori package.

I suggest that you get a 325i instead of modding it.

I was the original owner of the turbo unit in phyton dev's car. It took awhile to get everything right, well almost and in the end I went back to the NA route. Installed a M52 engine and then stroked it to 3.2 liter.

And after all this, having been modifying my cars ever since owning my first BMW for close to 10 years, my advice is this, BMW HP/RM Spent is not cheap. Best thing to do is to save up your money and get the real DEAL.... /// M

hehe IF u dont want to go for 325i...just get half cut E36 M3 engine and fix into ur e46...yeah baby power umphh..price as rm20k...ahaks..if u want less cost..go for japan engine..2jz GTE yeah yeah yeah,.,..

Top Bottom