trust your instincts,always check under the hood

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

badmd

Club Guest
hi guys , just like to share what happened to me over the weekend.I make it a point on checking the engine/bay once a month or when the my gut feeling tells me something is not right, especially when i'm having a 2001 yr old e46 ,manual.there was no water leaking , temp rise, or leaking oil on the floor wahtsoever, just some slightly out of tune engine sound.The coolant tank was changed 3 months ago and was ok.Took it the mech. as it was due for servicing anyway , and my hunch was right.The radiator tank had a leak at the plastic component , the metal part was ok , plus the power steering hose had a leak too. The cranky noise was due to the one of the wheel pulleys of the N43 engine ( 4 potter ) , needed ball bearing change , front disc brake pads needed change too.The main exhaust pipe and body was ok without significant rust , but the metal part holding it in place was completely gone kaput , a matter of time before it drops.Now my baby has to lie there while waiting for the radiator tank from kl to arrive tomorow, as manual ones are difficult to get by.And I am preparing to dig deep into my pockets and waiting just how much this will all add up to_Otherwise this babe has been with me for five years as the 2nd owner , and has not given me much problem cept for the wear and tear parts , especially the plastic components.My heart tells me I cannot , should not , will not let go of this car ( lots of personal memories and hardship with it ) , but financially it only makes sense to let go and get a younger ride ( whatever the make maybe , as long as safe and comfy ).What do you guys think ?:stupid:

Good post, why not fix the critical stuff first rather than doing everything at one go, that'll hurt the wallet little less. The car sounds to be in ok condition and after you did all the things you mentioned, it'll be good for another few years maybe.

And do you mind sharing the workshop you go to in Muar, interested to know since my hometown is in Sg Rambai.

Thanks!

Hrm...your radiator looks worst off than my previous E36's 4 years old rad. Did you buy a new one?

Bro,

keep the M43 car... it is a true & tested engine/car....

i know, i have one....

Usually, when changing the radiator, change also the rubber hoses and 2 thermostats as well.

thank you guys,
aidilj: i'm a regular at Leng kee workshop , on the way to jalan bakri , for the past 3 yrs.I trust no other place.
taggnas: tq
chairoger :i'm getting a new one, hopefully arriving today from kl.
qd250: tq, love this car to bits, selling it off would be my really really last option.
bro jarance :tq sifu, will speak to my mechanic about it today.

badmd;566902 said:
thank you guys,
aidilj: i'm a regular at Leng kee workshop , on the way to jalan bakri , for the past 3 yrs.I trust no other place.
taggnas: tq
chairoger :i'm getting a new one, hopefully arriving today from kl.
qd250: tq, love this car to bits, selling it off would be my really really last option.
bro jarance :tq sifu, will speak to my mechanic about it today.

Thanks md :top:

as an engineer, I do not trust just my instincts....

I trust regular service, using reputable parts and having a keen interest of checking the car over yourself ie. during ur wash etc.

A keen EAR, eyes plus feel ( ie. seat of pants ) is also extremely helpful to detect the moment something's not right.

Anyhow, BMW are like any other cars - take care of it and be assured, it will take care of you....

Before u ask, my bimmer is almost 27 years old & a daily drive.

much relieved and very happy , my baby is back with me after the endless work in the workshop.
total damage
engine oilhelix ultra 5w-40 4 ltr rm209
oil filter - rm 30
radiator tank- 680
radiator coolant-35
radiator cap-50
tensioner pulley-85
brake pad 1 set - 330
brake wire-50
crankshaft oil seal-75
labor charges _ rm 180
service tax - 9
exhaust bracket -38
total= rm 1771.00
huge dent in the bank account now , what do you guys think ,? Have I been overcharged , or is it a reasonable price overall.?i inputs much welcome. thank you.

badmd;567310 said:
much relieved and very happy , my baby is back with me after the endless work in the workshop.
total damage
engine oilhelix ultra 5w-40 4 ltr rm209
oil filter - rm 30
radiator tank- 680
radiator coolant-35
radiator cap-50
tensioner pulley-85
brake pad 1 set - 330
brake wire-50
crankshaft oil seal-75
labor charges _ rm 180
service tax - 9
exhaust bracket -38
total= rm 1771.00
huge dent in the bank account now , what do you guys think ,? Have I been overcharged , or is it a reasonable price overall.?i inputs much welcome. thank you.

Rasa2nya berpatutan........................

Top Bottom