transmission fail again

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

geoffrey318

Club Guest
last week when i drive my car suddenly the message appears transmmison fail safe,after using the computer to diagnose,found that there was a fault from the speed sensor inside the gearbox ,can't reverse my car and the car become no power...how come the faulty sensor can always make the car in this way?need to towed the car to the workshop coz dare not to drive there.any sifu here meet the experience before?

geoffrey318;408834 said:
last week when i drive my car suddenly the message appears transmmison fail safe,after using the computer to diagnose,found that there was a fault from the speed sensor inside the gearbox ,can't reverse my car and the car become no power...how come the faulty sensor can always make the car in this way?need to towed the car to the workshop coz dare not to drive there.any sifu here meet the experience before?

what car r u driving? Izit happened during heavy rain? E46 and E39 is very sensitive to water, careful driving during heavy rain. Mine runs over water patch, and damn straight goes to safe mode. scared me to death.
Clean the transmission sensor (outside the gearbox), reset the sensor via the diagnose tolls and everything is ok. All is done by my mech though........

Do very careful during heavy rain.....:bawling:

so far i've not faced this problem. touch wood. i remember i was trap in a teriible rain last year. slightly flooded oso.

Had the same message appearing in mine about couple of months ago. But no loss of power or gear problem experienced. But had my transmission oil and filter changed though. Possibly mine was a sensor error problem cos it appeared only once.

Transmission oil is only "long life" NOT "life long". So adviseable to have it changed every 50 - 75k km

mine one is 2002 525,after changing the sensor,everything fine already..cost me rm 200++,i remember that day the error occured was heavy rain outside that..so sensitif ah?

Rayman;408856 said:
what car r u driving? Izit happened during heavy rain? E46 and E39 is very sensitive to water, careful driving during heavy rain. Mine runs over water patch, and damn straight goes to safe mode. scared me to death.
Clean the transmission sensor (outside the gearbox), reset the sensor via the diagnose tolls and everything is ok. All is done by my mech though........

Do very careful during heavy rain.....:bawling:

Seperti pernah kudengar tapi dimana ya! hehehhe:listen:

geoffrey318;409104 said:
mine one is 2002 525,after changing the sensor,everything fine already..cost me rm 200++,i remember that day the error occured was heavy rain outside that..so sensitif ah?

Hi, I just experienced the same this afternoon. Initially the reverse gear could not be engaged, and I decided to push the car out of the garage. When slowing down to pay for toll, felt the car jerked whilst shifting down. The indicator came as "trans.safe.prog". Killed the engine, restarted and the indicator went off, but the car did not feel the usual as far as acceleration goes. It is year 2003, 520i, E39, M54. Wanting to learn from others as what could be the reasons. If we are discussing about the "sensor", kindly advise which specific sensors we are talking about here and if possible to point out which part number from the link (there are a few sensors there):

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E...D/A/2003/april/browse/automatic_transmission/

Thanks heaps.

can you still engage all gears now incl reverse? Sometimes, the electronics would just simply like to put your panic to the test :D

geoffrey318;408834 said:

Am sure BMW designer would have taken into consideration of heavy rain and flooding to a certain level when the car was designed. Am absolutely sure that water could cause this problem with the electronics if the water proofing material is compromised.
I have driven through floods up to one and half foot of water, my 523i was just fine. Pls check if your abs sensors are ok as the rear right feeds road speed to the engine ecu and rear left feeds road speed to your gearbox ecu. Both need to correspond in order for the gear shift and engine to function at optimum.

had this happened once with my 750.. panic!! big time.. but after 10 mins restart the car.. everythign back to normal... hopefully stays like that..

phewwww

i had the same message in my car when i had alternator problem few weeks ago. once the battery run out of power then the 'transmission failsafe program' message came up on the cluster.

once my alternator was fixed, and the mechanic reset all the fault codes the message dissapears

bimmer73;543415 said:
who the ffffff is this. This is a car forum not a supermarket......moderator please bann and delete.

Ni lah panggil bodoh marah pulak. Tapi memang mangkuk

:21:
:24:
:21:
:24:

haywire;543458 said:
i had the same message in my car when i had alternator problem few weeks ago. once the battery run out of power then the 'transmission failsafe program' message came up on the cluster.

once my alternator was fixed, and the mechanic reset all the fault codes the message dissapears

Makes lots of sense...not enough supply of ooomph (read: voltage), electronics can go haywire (read: not you :D)

I read somewhere when the batt is on its final days, some warning lights will start to display on cluster. (apart from batt light).

bimmerholic;543461 said:
Makes lots of sense...not enough supply of ooomph (read: voltage), electronics can go haywire (read: not you :D)

I read somewhere when the batt is on its final days, some warning lights will start to display on cluster. (apart from batt light).

when the battery light indicator lights up in RED means your Alternator's days are numbered. If the battery light is Yellow then your battery is going to say change me

Erm....when my battery suddenly died, there wasn't any "yellow" indicator to tell me to change battery before I get stranded....works only with original BMW battery??

jaleeks23;543848 said:
Erm....when my battery suddenly died, there wasn't any "yellow" indicator to tell me to change battery before I get stranded....works only with original BMW battery??

I think you got stranded because of altenator. When engine is running the alternator supplys the power to the car. If alternator Kaput car will not be able to start. Happen to me. I change alternator and the battery still works.

Top Bottom