Timing Belt Vs Timing Chain

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

dibab

Club Guest
timing chain is more noisy..is it true?..and can timing belt be change to timing chain or vise versa?..my E39 is using timing chain..and a bit noisy..i thought i must change my timing chain but the mechanic said it is maintenance free..is it true?..

the timing chain is maintenance free and you are free from the normal worries of a snapped timing belt.

What makes u said that the timing chain is getting noisy? It could be due to the timing chain tensioner...

I've seen myself chain snap on E34. 18 from 24 valve bend. Noisy......this is not basikal. Well engineered chain system la baaaaang ...

wa wa wa..
did you say timing chain is noisy..?

the chain should be tukar baru,
if the sprockets are worn,
or the chain is loose..

can be indicated by excessive noise in operation..

better avoid future problems, bro.. :D

If I'm not mistaken, the conventional thinking is that the timing chain should last the lifetime of the car, and that it is only replaced because it gets noisy, not because it is going to snap.

In most stories of broken timing chain it is not true. What normally happens is poor installation. The clip joining the chain was wrongly installed by the mechanic.

Iqlima said:
I've seen myself chain snap on E34. 18 from 24 valve bend. Noisy......this is not basikal. Well engineered chain system la baaaaang ...

wglee said:
If I'm not mistaken, the conventional thinking is that the timing chain should last the lifetime of the car, and that it is only replaced because it gets noisy, not because it is going to snap.

Ah, but what is the definition of lifetime here?

5 years? 10 years?

We have rust buckets still on the road after 10 years (mine included)...

Chain, like all steel parts, is subject to wear and tear. So, maybe lifetime is finite...

In Japanese engineer, they design car means all part most to stand 10 years , this 10 years they call life time .

The E34 snapped chain I mention used the chain for about 150k .....rules of thumb says "Moving part will fall one day "

what truth is truth?...my mechanic said no need to change...must get another mechanic advice..

it would need changing but depending on the condition. If it's noisy, you might want to have them checked. It may have been misdiagnosed as well, can be the vanos Kit causing the noise.

fabianyee said:
the timing chain is maintenance free and you are free from the normal worries of a snapped timing belt.

i really hold on this phrase..( with finger crossing )..cos a lot of people said that timing chain wont be snap..

my opinion is that, timing chain needs to be changed. although it is a chain, it still suffers from stresses. only that the life period is longer than belts

dibab said:
i really hold on this phrase..( with finger crossing )..cos a lot of people said that timing chain wont be snap..

timing chain usually gives a lot of notice before it snaps...it gets noisy and goes on fo a while..this can also be due to the tensioner not adjusted..had a saab sometime ago and had a really noisy chain..lasted more than 20k and finally sold it..

Lee36328 said:
Ah, but what is the definition of lifetime here?

5 years? 10 years?

We have rust buckets still on the road after 10 years (mine included)...

Chain, like all steel parts, is subject to wear and tear. So, maybe lifetime is finite...

Reminds me of somebody who once told this girl "I love you forever", with the poor girl not knowing that his "forever" was really much, much shorter than a few weeks at best!

Sorry, I digress.

I remember my father's Corolla KE20 chugged along from day one to the day he sold it almost 15 years later (with about 150,000 MILES on the clock) without changing the timing chain! 15 years is quite good enough for me to qualify as "lifetime".

wglee said it correctly, the KE20 just went on and on as with almost all Japanese chain driven engines. Personally chains don't frighten me, but timing belt is a horror.

Chains don't snap easily ... it does get loose though due to the tensioner weakening. Chains that snap are most likely caused by bad tensioner and some engines, though most are auto adjustable, have a gap at the front of timing cover where you could actually make manual adjustments ... great engineering as far as I am concerned ... truly lifetime.

Cheers.

bought my datsun b310 with noisy timing chain in 1999. heavy use, i mean really heavy use. was driving min 120km per day before i get myself e30. now the car running up and down from JB to port Dickson and selangor frequently (my bro using for his contract work).

never even think about the timing chain. no issue...

as an mechanical engineer......we design stuff with considerations to certain range of running conditions, prescribed technical specifications ( ie. correct installation, proper spares used as a SYSTEM ), set routine maintenance and a safety factor to define a lifespan.

Get one elements in the equation wrong, then a lifetime is maybe a road trip away.

Suggest if you already opened your engine for whatever reason - no harm checking every link, the drive sprockets and the lubrication channels.

Top Bottom