This first step to buy 2nd hand E46?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

liey87

Club Guest
Does anybody knows what is the most important parts need to be check before buying E46? And after buying, what is the parts need to be service for long duration to use?

Am searching for E46 too, since most units are close to 10 years or more there tons of stuff that ay go wrong.

Should you plan to take up a loan, please have a quick look of the car, make a copy of registration card, try apply the loan first. Let's not waste the seller's time as I understand how frustrating it can be when so many potential viewer/buyers but none can afford it.

While the bank process your loan, search for a reliable and trust worthy mech to agree to scan and check th car and remember to agreed on the fee too.

A full scan engine, body work visual check, make sure no accident, flood, interior condition, and last take for a spin for drive behavior. A well taken care of care will drive like new, good alignment, solid feel, quiet, interior smell fresh, ets.

Do remember BMW are known for banyak masuk workshop even it's new so do prepare some cash and get ready to learn to be confortable lepaking at workshop.

On what to repairs and replace, please visit the e46 thread, tons of in for there.

Most reliable engine is M43 while N42 is something you need to stay away. M54 is the ultimate engine but demand TLC.

Good luck on your purchase.

Agreed with geoffreylee. Speaking from my experience with my purchase of an E46 just a week ago.

Search the car through Mudah, Motor Trader, forums or car dealers.

Check the valuation of the car from banks to ensure the car is not overpriced.

Try to get the registration card or info on year of manufacturing as this will determine the loan availability for the ride. From what I have enquire, in order to obtain a 90% MOF for any car currently, the year of manufacturing must be 2003 or newer. Anything before 2003, the maximum MOF will be 80-85% (some are only 70%, depending on the bank). In addition, the manufacturing year will also play a part in determining the interest rate and tenure for the hire purchase loan. Was earlier looking at a 2001 330i and various banks quoted 5-7% of interest and maximum repayment period of only 4-5 years. I am able to get 3.4% for a 5 years tenure for a 2004 325i via a local bank.

Do check for your loan eligibility as well. From what I was told, current BNM ruling will look at a person's monthly commitments over their nett income (i/o of gross income previously). If the monthly installment exceeds 30-35% of your nett income, you would require a guarantor or the application might be rejected. However, other factors may determine your eligibility as well, such as current outstanding liabilities eg. personal loan, housing loan, credit card debts etc. All these are up to the bank's credit department discretion.

Once you have found your car and eligible for a loan, check with the dealer of owner whether are you allowed to bring the car for checks and diagnostic. Many used car dealers are reluctant to do so but some are okay. Bring the car to a reputable BMW mech (use the search function in the forum, I brought mine to Jason @ Optimum Autoworks, Kayu Ara).

Consult the mech on the conditions of the car, what parts are required to be replaced, repairs etc.

Discuss with the dealer/owner on these and ask for discounts if cost of repairs are too high.

Do go through the E46 thread for more information.

Good luck in your car hunting and may you find your UDM soon!

yes bro,i already got one but unfortunately bank won't approve...too bad :) ..tomorrow will do final nego with bank officer..see how,it's 2003/2008 japan spec 6 cylinder m54b22

Did u try Maybank? One of our friends here got a fantastic rate of 2.75% from them on a 2003/2008 X5. Please take note that there is a new ruling from BNM whereby the differential sum between the loan & purchase price is to be paid to the bank whereby the bank will arrange to make that payment to the seller.

Welcome to the world of BMW.Some says Banyak Makan Wang. Well.... :top:

Basically a good one hardly come by these days, if any, you need to pay a premium price for that. That one was based on my experience : ) It is a good car overall, but pls spare at least RM 5K for touch up :top: Any car age more than 7 years surely need many things to change e.g. radiator, those wears and tears stuff.

Let the mechanic check it up for you first, anything sounds too good to be true, it probably is.... dont let the appearance fools you. check either the aircond is cold enough ( thats why I always test the car during hot sunny day, any leaking from the gearbox, any weird sounds from the engine bay, etc.

all the best!

Directly contact bank officer,..he explain why bank reject,but then he adv to get guarantor,..re-submit loan,see how..hope tiz time shud pass...by next week shud know the result,agree with dexter,..my self already standby 10k fr wear/tear..cheers

geoffreylee;734918 said:
Am searching for E46 too, since most units are close to 10 years or more there tons of stuff that ay go wrong.

Should you plan to take up a loan, please have a quick look of the car, make a copy of registration card, try apply the loan first. Let's not waste the seller's time as I understand how frustrating it can be when so many potential viewer/buyers but none can afford it.

While the bank process your loan, search for a reliable and trust worthy mech to agree to scan and check th car and remember to agreed on the fee too.

A full scan engine, body work visual check, make sure no accident, flood, interior condition, and last take for a spin for drive behavior. A well taken care of care will drive like new, good alignment, solid feel, quiet, interior smell fresh, ets.

Do remember BMW are known for banyak masuk workshop even it's new so do prepare some cash and get ready to learn to be confortable lepaking at workshop.

On what to repairs and replace, please visit the e46 thread, tons of in for there.

Most reliable engine is M43 while N42 is something you need to stay away. M54 is the ultimate engine but demand TLC.

Good luck on your purchase.

i have a n42 and it works bu then again, i make it a point to change everything according to the manual. i have concluded that buying a car requires luck to. a friend of mine bought a brand new e90 and has been having endless troubles. lucky for him its all under warranty :) but the frustrating part is the time the car spends in AB!

well that very much depends on the mileage. when i got mine, i borrowed my friends manual and have been changing every part according to the manual.

but now with the expansion of the family, i have had to sell my ride. it can be frustrating that most guys will check out the car and then find out that they cant get a loan. so yeah, check on the loan availability before anything to save both your time adn the sellers.

have a look at the below link should u be interested:

http://www.mudah.my/BMW+E46+318i+02+05-14335423.htm

Vincent Hor;735453 said:
Did u try Maybank? One of our friends here got a fantastic rate of 2.75% from them on a 2003/2008 X5. Please take note that there is a new ruling from BNM whereby the differential sum between the loan & purchase price is to be paid to the bank whereby the bank will arrange to make that payment to the seller.

yeah this ruling came about to avoid people from marking up the value to get a higher loan.

thanendran;735980 said:
well that very much depends on the mileage. when i got mine, i borrowed my friends manual and have been changing every part according to the manual.

but now with the expansion of the family, i have had to sell my ride. it can be frustrating that most guys will check out the car and then find out that they cant get a loan. so yeah, check on the loan availability before anything to save both your time adn the sellers.

have a look at the below link should u be interested:

http://www.mudah.my/BMW+E46+318i+02+05-14335423.htm

nice car...how much did u spent for all refurbish on your bimmer?nice paint too

Top Bottom