Thinking of getting X3 E83 Facelifted (After 2007)

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

digerati

Club Guest
Hello Everyone,Am newbie here and have not owned a BMW before. Am thinking of making the jump. Looking for an SUV and thought an X3 would be great for me.I don't know much about the car, but after a few initial readings thought a facelifted version (after 2007) would be great.Believe that 2007 unreg recond would cost me around RM180k.Thought would like to here any opinion whether this would be a good move. And any pointers on what to look out for and what I need to know before making the move.Thanking everyone in advance :rock:

I just bought one for my wife early this year. I looked at quite a number of units before narrowing down to the last 2. One a 2008 FL model and another a 2005 pre-FL model. I ended up with the 2005 unit because it was in much newer condition and was of course cheaper too. I prefer local units to recond because I could verify the history of the local car.

It's been a joy owning this car but please do an extensive test drive before you commit yourself. Some may find the ride too harsh/bumpy. We find it acceptable tho as wifey has been driving an SUV since day 1. BTW, this is also our very first BMW.

Happy hunting.:cool:

Great. the kind of person i'd really like to hear from. By local car, I'm assuming you're referring to those imported by auto bavaria. right?

Assuming we're talking the same local car, could you kind of remember what's the different between the pre-facelift and the facelifted model? (apart from visual look - so i'm referring to either spec / tech / accessories here).

This is what i got courtesy of wikipedia: It was last little details on the headlights, the double kidney grill, front bumper, tail lights, the rear bumper, and especially the controversial interior

I've been reading and do note about the harsh/bumpy ride.

And i've seen a few ads that say for example BMW X3 2.5(A) SI

The FL model was introduced in Malaysia in 2007 as the Si but I have seen some 2006 recond FL units too. And yes, by local car I mean those imported by the official distributor, Auto Bavaria.

The FL model comes with xenon and angel eyes, bigger kidney grills, different bumper designs and tail lamps. The bigger difference is in the drivetrain tho. The engine puts out 218hp vs 192, and 6 speed auto vs 5 speeder. The interior is 90% similar except that the FL comes with plain aluminium panel vs the pre-FL which has some design on the panels. I have tested both models extensively and despite the numbers on paper, the driving experience is not distinctly different.

There are a couple of low mileage FL models available in the market as we speak and these cars have been on the market for quite sometime. So perhaps you could get a bargain if you try hard enough.

wow, those details really help to cut short my research a lot. to be honest, been looking at pics over the internet and have yet to go down to the shops to see this baby in the flesh.

should start making my rounds.

yup, noticed that some have been around for quite some time. talking about price, just wondering, how much were you willing to fork out for that 2008 FL Model that you shortlisted but didn't take in the end?

I was offered a final price of 188k, back in January 2011. The car had 62k km on the clock and came with 4 brand new Continentals (the bill said 1.6k each from AB but you can get for a bout 1.2-1.3k each outside). The price also included a new number of my choice, normal number and not those super nice number.

I tot it was a fair price then as the car was only 28 months old. BTW, it was registered on 08/08/08.:top:

sounds like a fair price to me. spoke to an agent today who told me there was this 06 unregistered unit asking for 195k. but this one is of course the one before the facelift. not sure yet whether want to go view or not...

eh about the plate no, u mean it already has a plate no, then u asked the shop to register for a new no plate izzit?

fair price for a 28 mths old vehicle you said. but then you opted for the 2005 unit huh? better value for money?

Yeah, because the previous owner wanted its original number back, so I could choose a new number of my choice.

A few reasons why I chose the 2005 unit,

- it's 2005/2007, OTR in April 2007.
- it had a mileage of only 38k km, the condition is equivalent or slightly better than the 2008 unit.
- I did not feel any major difference between the pre-FL and FL models, driving wise.
- My wife prefers the rear lamp cluster of the pre-FL model. (That's very important)
- Of course, there's this price differential of 40+k.

bro digerati,

so far, have you found the car yet? if you have, care to share? thanks.

I got the 2.5Si M-Sports abt a year back and loving every minute of it. Ride is a bit on the hard side but the handling is superb and lives up the the BMW name for it's handling prowess. Mine is 2007 FL and got it from Naza...mileage then was 38000km. Had a few issues when I took delivery as the O2 sensors were giving me some problems and had it changed under warranty. Besides that it's a fun car to drive.

bro gendong,

in the final stage of confirming my purchase. will elaborate more once everything is firmed up.

Bro jeffreyewe,

Glad to hear more positive feedback on the car. Hope to learn more about the car from you in the future!

I used to own an X3 2.0D, the 6 speed manual model. Fantastic torque and what can I say about fuel economy, was getting regularly 800-900km per tank of diesel.

Only problem I had was when a sensor played up and AB said that I had to change the whole rear transmission box for around 8k after some goodwill discount. According to them, quite a few X3 have encountered similar problems. Damn silly that BMW does not sell the sensor separately but only sells it together with rear box.

Anyway, I let my friend in KL have a look and he repaired it for me putting in a new sensor alone for only about 2k.

I agree with some bros who say that suspension could be a bit stiff but my Porsche loving cousin liked the ride as he was into hard and firm 

Sold it off now as manual in traffic jams was getting kinda tired.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

skp021;682800 said:
Only problem I had was when a sensor played up and AB said that I had to change the whole rear transmission box for around 8k after some goodwill discount. According to them, quite a few X3 have encountered similar problems. Damn silly that BMW does not sell the sensor separately but only sells it together with rear box.

Anyway, I let my friend in KL have a look and he repaired it for me putting in a new sensor alone for only about 2k.

Aiyah, don't scare me la my friend. Hope won't have much problem. But anyway, i'm getting the 1 year or 20,000 km warranty from Opal Automart. It has there 4 wheel drive. is this you're referring to? Should be covered then. but really hope it won't come to that.

on a separate note, manual car for weekend use, can la...

Not scaring you lah bro. Just don't be taken in by tue SC spill about change whole rear box just to get one non functioning sensor fixed.

Outside shops can get the sensor alone and they can change it

skp021;682939 said:
Not scaring you lah bro. Just don't be taken in by tue SC spill about change whole rear box just to get one non functioning sensor fixed.

Outside shops can get the sensor alone and they can change it

Glad to hear that ! :cool:

Yesterday, a client drop by and ask me to see his brand new X3 diesel. I was told by him that his is second generation X3. I never been inside one before. I was persuaded to drive round the block and ended driving on the highway and back. Luckily the big boss was not in!
I was absolutely surprised how good the X3 is. Nimble maneuverability and surprisingly roomy although don't look that way from the outside. Impressive quietness and got that powerful feeling. I never expected. So tempting

Posted a few messages around the forum. But not much response, coz not that many X3 owners I guess. May be should start a roll call list of X3 owners as well. Easier to discuss and share experiences..

Oh yeah Gendong, before I forget. Am now a proud owner of one, registered on 11-11-11 hehehe :)
Since married already, so register car la on this auspicious date...

jeffreyewe, wonder what's your average FC like for your X3?
Are you anywhere near the 12.8 l/100km (urban) as per its catalogue?

Al_tamby, any updates? Getting one?

X3 Owners List

1. jeffreyewe - E83 2.5 si M Sport
2. digerati - E83 2.5 si M Sport

FC for urban is about 12.4l/100. FC for outstation is a round 9.7l/100 to 10.4l/100 ( depending on how heavy is my right foot is).

Top Bottom