The run flat or the car saved the day..

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ashman55

Club Guest
On LPT at about 120km/h,I hit a rock.At the point of impact,I heard a pop sound but I only realized my left front tire busted when the idrive told me the tire pressure loss.there was a big gaping hole on my side wall.i know the benefit of a run flat.the point is if I were to use non run flat tire will the stability be the same at thr point of impact.Is the F10 safety features play its part also in the event such as this?.Now that I am on non run flat,I am wondering if I will have the same protection as with the run flat

One of the reason why I stick with RFT is for event like this. High speed blowout. Few years back during Driver Training they showed a video of an E39 with and without RFT during high speed tire burst. The E39 with RFT doesn't even flinch. But the one with normal tire lost control.

Imagine losing all grip from the tire that punctured at that speed, while at the same time, you feel like the deflated tire suddenly turned into an anchor and yanks your steering in one direction, potentially throwing your car off the road ...
I am among the few to have experienced a full sidewall collapse on my front tire at about 100 km/h during a time when RFTs hasnt been invented yet. Managed to keep my E30 stable and straight when it blew till I got it safely to the side.

I remembered that video clip too...and they actually blew up the left rear tire in the demostration and the car when a couple of spins before the professional driver was
able to bring the car to a complete stop. His reaction was faster as he was prepared for it. I shudder to imagine if it was the front tire that blew and you're caught off
guard. Bro Ashman, glad you're safe and definately the RFTs saved your life. No amount of active safety features like traction control would be able to eliminate a spin
from a high speed front tire bust.

It's proven RFTs saved the day for me and family.regardless of the discomfort of RFTs,I am now a true believer of RFTs

the only downside is it will cost RM2300 each for 18 wheels..

Tried finding rf tyrein Penang when I got a flat there but despite being prepared to fork out the RM2k, there was none available for 18 in. Ended up taking the opportunity to change all 4 to PSS. Frankly speaking, the rft is not as bad as some make it out to be. The PSS is slightly more comfy but a bit noisy on the highway compared to the conti rft. But given the price differential, and the improvement in comfort (and i am told, performance, though i never ventured to the limits of eiher tyre) I'd probably still go for non-rft as it makes the car ride more "classily" everyday I drive it. I jus hope I don't ever have to experience hitting a rock at 120 or more.

Yup, it is the RFTs.

As I always tell the participants in the Driver Training, how much would you put a figure for your life? 2300 is pretty cheap :)

I think 3rd generation RFTs are more comfortable than ever.

Cheers

ashman55;769730 said:
On LPT at about 120km/h,I hit a rock.At the point of impact,I heard a pop sound but I only realized my left front tire busted when the idrive told me the tire pressure loss.there was a big gaping hole on my side wall.i know the benefit of a run flat.the point is if I were to use non run flat tire will the stability be the same at thr point of impact.Is the F10 safety features play its part also in the event such as this?.Now that I am on non run flat,I am wondering if I will have the same pro
tection as with the run flat

Cruised at 150kmh - 200kmh on the LPT Bukit Besi to Kuala Terengganu during last raya trip. Of course my wife was asleep when I tekan to 200kmh. I think that was the last time I would tekan to 200kmh after reading this post. Also heard that since the toll has not being operated yet on that route it means that the route still has not being gazetted yet. Therefore any accident wont be covered by insurance.

Its better to drive safe..

Yes my friend,we always think unfortunate things always happen to other people.the good thing is that by driving UDM we have been given a choice to use RFTs.yo BMW forever..

Rayhwc;770421 said:
Tried finding rf tyrein Penang when I got a flat there but despite being prepared to fork out the RM2k, there was none available for 18 in. Ended up taking the opportunity to change all 4 to PSS. Frankly speaking, the rft is not as bad as some make it out to be. The PSS is slightly more comfy but a bit noisy on the highway compared to the conti rft. But given the price differential, and the improvement in comfort (and i am told, performance, though i never ventured to the limits of eiher tyre) I'd probably still go for non-rft as it makes the car ride more "classily" everyday I drive it. I jus hope I don't ever have to experience hitting a rock at 120 or more.

Cant get RFTs in penang ? Aiyuh ....

ashman55;770554 said:
Yes my friend,we always think unfortunate things always happen to other people.the good thing is that by driving UDM we have been given a choice to use RFTs.yo BMW forever..

i dun think RFT are limited to UDM only..most car can be fitted with RFT, it just doesnt have the low tire pressure warning only.

anyway, why not use Conti Seal ? its much cheaper and lighter than RFT.

btw, i was driving my second car, proton wira on NKVE last week at about 100km/h and my rear tire blew. not even a slight instability noticed. just felt like suddenly the ride became more bumpy. i am using a 15" honda city rim with 195/50/15 tire silverstone M5 tire. probably is due to rear wheel that's why did not lost control. Lol

[video=youtube_share;mxHwrMh76tE]http://youtu.be/mxHwrMh76tE[/video]

The advantage of RFT. Merely impossible but brutal truth.

Top Bottom