Stuttgart vs Auto Bavaria

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Ok guys, this is the list of things that I need to buy. So would u recommend me to get the OEM or Original BMW?

- Water pump
- Thermostat
- All the radiator water hose
- Radiator expansion tank
- Radiator cap
- Coolant sensor
- Timing chain(all 3)
- Timing chain tensioner(all)
- Crankshaft sprocket
- Cylinder head gasket set
- Cylinder head bolt set

Thanks a million guys :)

Originally posted by 1996E36328i@Dec 9 2005, 01:53 AM
Ok guys, this is the list of things that I need to buy. So would u recommend me to get the OEM or Original BMW?

- Water pump
- Thermostat
- All the radiator water hose
- Radiator expansion tank
- Radiator cap
- Coolant sensor
- Timing chain(all 3)
- Timing chain tensioner(all)
- Crankshaft sprocket
- Cylinder head gasket set
- Cylinder head bolt set

Thanks a million guys :)
did u chck the e36 section in the forum i told u about yesterday?
u will see the list of items from the list and can gauge better as to which is better.the list of items bought also comes with comments from the forummers tht bought thm.

ask the shops if their parts r OEM or BMW parts itself....

rgds,
-brad-

tats a lot man...
This is only my idea... ;)

-Water pump (OEM)
- Thermostat (BM)
- All the radiator water hose (BM)
- Radiator expansion tank (OEM)
- Radiator cap (OEM)
- Coolant sensor (BM)
- Timing chain(all 3) (BM/OEM - please check the 2 prices)
- Timing chain tensioner(all) (BM)
- Crankshaft sprocket (BM)
- Cylinder head gasket set (BM/OEM - please check the 2 prices)
- Cylinder head bolt set (BM/OEM - please check the 2 prices)

I suggest this weekend, go to the few suggested places below and check the prices and the advise...

tyke,

Yes, I did run thru the section.

Seems Auto Bavaria pricing on all those items are very expensive. The same quote I got from Stuttgart comes up to $2.7k as compared to $6.5k from Auto Bavaria.

I also went to Stuttgard myself to see those parts, seem that not everything is BMW original. Some are OEM. I'm not too sure how to tell between OEM and Originals but I'll just make do with the BMW sticker there. This is what I found from Stuttgart:

- Water pump - OEM
- Thermostat - OEM
- All the radiator water hose - OEM
- Radiator expansion tank - behr brand or something like that
- Radiator cap - not sure
- Coolant sensor - not sure
- Timing chain(all 3) - original(had bmw sticker and markings/stamping, he told me it's original so more expensive than the oem one which he showed me as well)
- Timing chain tensioner - not sure
- Crankshaft sprocket - original
- Cylinder head gasket set - I think the brand is Gozet or something, came in a yellow flat pack box which is sealed, two packing, one for upper gasket and one for lower.
- Cylinder head bolt set - not sure

So you all reckon I should get from Stuttgart? Every single item I compared with Auto Bavaria, its nearly double or more.

BMW parts from Germany or OEM parts, hmmm... Aiyoh, your car is most probably a CKD anyways, so why spend extra on "original" parts from Germany ah? When all those "small, small" parts were all probably "made in Malaysia" as part of the local content quota. No?

It all up to you.

OEM does not mean the quality is of lower standard nor does it mean it's of higher standard too. It's basically a personal preference.

If you personally feel that it's safer to buy from AB...by all means go ahead, no one can stop you. but , if you have a certain budget to work on..then i suggest you try the OEM parts.

cheers,

well said jeff and the necc....thank you.
i was wondering if i should hav said tht.... :D

so.....1996e36328i,its all up to u.

do pop by to tt 2nite and meet the sifus and ask us more.....

dont matter if ur e36 is in the workshop at the mo.....just come.

rgds,
-brad-

Okei :) Thanks guys!

I'll go with Stuttgart.

Yup, I have a budged to work on, 2.7k compared to 6.5k. I'll go with the 2.7k than.

Thanks guys for clearing up my doubts! Hope I can get my car soon and meet up with all of you :)

Glad to have helped, now that we've helped you save 3.8k.

The racun begins:

Xbraces?
front struts?
rear anti rolls?
eibach springs?

Muahahahahahahaha :nyehehe: :nyehehe:

hahaha....i knew tht was gonna come!

racun time!!!

rims???carbon fibre stuff??? :nyehehe:

Originally posted by jeffreyewe@Dec 9 2005, 03:27 PM
Glad to have helped, now that we've helped you save 3.8k.

The racun begins:

Xbraces?
front struts?
rear anti rolls?
eibach springs?

Muahahahahahahaha :nyehehe: :nyehehe:
Hi jeffreyewe :)

My car already came with the following(forgive me if I'm a bit slow, I'll try to list out everything) :

- X brace(it's the piece of metal at the bottom of the car that looks like and X shape right?).
- AC Schitzer strut bars(front and in the boot).
- AC Schitzer anti rolls bars.
- Eibach spring.
- Bilstein absorbers(yellow coloured).
- 18" rims(I can't remember the brand as I've only gotten the car recently, its Breytish or something alike).
- Original M3 bumpers, sideskirts, rubber on the doors(don't know what you call them) and side mirrors.
- AC Schitzer rear spoiler(top and bottom).
- HID lights(Hella brand I presume, there is a piece of plastic bearing the word Hella in the light that can be seen).
- Smoked lights all around the car(signal, brakes, side signal).
- AC Schitzer exhaust(sort of like elongated rectangle shape with rounded ends, got 2 of this tips, left and right side of the car).
- On the interior wise, AC Schitzer hand brake and a lot of other chrome stuff(I dont' know how to describe them).
- Recaro electric seats. The rear seats have a Recaro wording as well.
- Alpine DVD player.
- Hiope(can't remember the spelling, I was passed the box for it) camshaft.
- Chrome exhaust(the one coming out from the engine), similiar brand to the above of the camshaft.
- Superchip(this one i can remember very well :) ).
- AC Schitzer pedals.
- AC Schitzer carpets.
- V kool tinted glass.
- Piper Axe Viper filter(Can't remember as well but I've got the box). The air filter doesn't have the big box or filter and there is a hose that connect to the front bumper where there is a big hole there. Is this good? I find it funny looking.

That's all I can remember for now :)

The only thing is the front bumper dented and cracked. That was my fault, I didn't see the corner when I was turning :(

But 1 thing I liked about my car even during the 1st test drive is that this car really goes...comparing to my previous Perdana(2nd hand). Everytime I floor the pedal to overtake, I feel that something is pushing me back to the seat very hard and I love that feeling and the sound of the engine :)

:eek: wwaaaa... sounds like a pretty car DUDE.... Good for ya... guess u will have worry much on the int/ext parts of your car..

IMHO,

Not all parts need to be "original"
A lot of times...... the only difference between an "original" BMW part and the OEM is the the BMW logo
stamped on the part itself and nothing else.
So, by using common sense and carefully evaluating the actual usage of the parts, one can decide if the price differential is value for money or not. On a more critical component you may consider getting the "original" and on a non mechanical part, perhaps consider the OEM etc etc.......

But as said by others, the OEM part is not necessarily inferior to the "original" and vice versa.

From my past experience, Bavarian is slightly cheaper than Stuttgart on most things (but not always)

For me, AB does not represent good value...as with most things associated with AB, be it parts,services or even the cars themselves.

Wowzers, the ex-owner sure did alot of work to that car! Is it a manual? If not, the only mods I can see you doing (minor ones lar) are the conversion from autobox to manual box and getting some big brakes in.

Sweet.

Sorry..tumpang abit...

I wanted to buy the clear indicators (whole set) for my FL e46.

Bavarian Auto - quoted RM1150 for OEMs.
Stuttgart - quoted RM1200 for OEMs and RM1550 for Ori.
1st Division - quoted RM1290 for OEMs and RM1500 for Ori.

Stuttgart told me they do not guarantee the OEMs will not turn yellowish over time. Advised me to buy the ORIs. However, 1st Division said the OEMs are from the same manufacturer as the ORI.

HOW? Just get the ORIs? How to know whether they are ORIs?

Originally posted by The Necessary@Dec 9 2005, 05:06 PM
Wowzers, the ex-owner sure did alot of work to that car! Is it a manual? If not, the only mods I can see you doing (minor ones lar) are the conversion from autobox to manual box and getting some big brakes in.

Sweet.
Hi The Necessary :)

It's a 5 speed Automatic Transmission. The previous owner said the transmission was just recently overhauled so don't need to worry about it. I was given the whole stack of maintanence & repair bills and I was going thru them, I nearly fainted looking at the total amount spent on the car throughout the years, it's really a lot of money, nearly 60k! :eek: The previous onwer was the 3rd owner who owned the car for 2 years so that will make me the 4th.

Not sure about the brakes, but there is a receipt on a Brembo Big Brake Kit. Is this the one you're referring to? The disc(that's what you call it right?) has got holes in and line(like a drain) on it. And the 'thing' that holds the brake pads(sorry, I don't know what's it called) is black in colour and has the word Brembo written on it.

PS. What is 'autofoam'? I found a receipt from this shop KL Auto stating 'autofoam - complete car' amounting to 1.8k. Is that some sort of paint protection?

You are one lucky guy!

Yeah, you've got Brembo brakes- good stuff- which means you can now take your car to the track without worrying about brake fade!

Autofoam is foam they put into the cavaties of the chassis, to stiffen it up. It's not paint protection.

You know, in spite of the fact that the autobox has just been refurbished, your car is CRYING out for a manual transmission!

Top Bottom