Steering wheel

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

tumbleweed

Club Guest
Hi everyone,I'm just wondering if there's a substitute/replacement for the ridiculously humungous steering wheel in my '94 E36 325i? Perhaps from another model BMW or Momo? Just can't get use to it. Feels like I'm doing helluva lot of turning but it doesn't seem to be turning enough!

Or opt for the M-tech II steering.

3a_1.JPG

dvng & nikazwaa,

How much smaller are they? How much would either one of them cost? And where is the most likely place where I can find them? Locally or abroad?

TIA!

They are atleast 1 to 1 1/5 inches smaller in diameter, never gotten a round to actually compared and measured.

A 2nd hand unit ranges from RM650 and above, with no guarantee of condition ( torn leather, M/// emblem missing) if you're lucky might just get a perfect condition unit...but it's basically finding a needle in a haystack.

Alternatively, the Mtec 11 is available new..can't remember the current $$$ but somewhere in the region of RM15xx ++.

Happy hunting.

The M-tech II type for 3-series is about 13 inches in diameter if I'm not mistaken.

Originally posted by tumbleweed@Nov 22 2005, 08:35 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering if there's a substitute/replacement for the ridiculously humungous steering wheel in my '94 E36 325i? Perhaps from another model BMW or Momo? Just can't get use to it. Feels like I'm doing helluva lot of turning but it doesn't seem to be turning enough!
Maybe your steering got some free play? The E36 steering is less than 4 turns lock to lock (I think around 3.75) which is the same as most modern saloon cars (between 3-4). I think only Alfa has less turns but in an Alfa, the turning circle is ridiculously huge!

Originally posted by jeffreyewe@Nov 22 2005, 02:47 PM
They are atleast 1 to 1 1/5 inches smaller in diameter, never gotten a round to actually compared and measured.

A 2nd hand unit ranges from RM650 and above, with no guarantee of condition ( torn leather, M/// emblem missing) if you're lucky might just get a perfect condition unit...but it's basically finding a needle in a haystack.

Alternatively, the Mtec 11 is available new..can't remember the current $$$ but somewhere in the region of RM15xx ++.

Happy hunting.
dunno which one is the mTeC II you're talkin about, but the M3 evo ones cost abt RM2k+ w/o airbag..airbag alone RM3.5K+ the standard airbag cant fit...aargh...

I think he means the M-Tech II depicted above in my posting. Can be purchased new around the RM1500-1700 region. The M3 steering tends to be higher priced because of the obvious "///M" reason.

Originally posted by jeffreyewe@Nov 22 2005, 01:17 PM

If u're lucky :nyehehe: :nyehehe: :nyehehe: :nyehehe:

Mtec II is one of the best steering wheel for bimmer...great choice n happy hunting........

Thanks for all your input guys. Much appreciated! At least now I know there is an alternative to the current steering I'm having.

I may just have my buddy in the US to try to look for the Mtech II steering. Might be cheaper even after conversion. Does it matter if the steering is from US or UK?

One of you mentioned about the free play. Yes, I find there's too much for my liking. But I've changed all the bushes and linkages but it still feels loose. I even asked my foreman to "tighten" up the steering a little but to no avail. My other non-UDM ride handles very much better and has less free play. Steering is spot on. But then again it has coilovers, a smaller Momo steering, and PU bushes whereas my UDM is stock standard. Not a fair comparison, eh?

Top Bottom