steering virate when braking n cornering...

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

syam325i

Club Guest
hi there all sifus....help needed here...i'm having a problem especially in the morning or whenever the car park for a few hours...when i drive it for about 20-30km the steering will vibrate when i do the brake n when i take a sharp corner...after sometime about 10-15 minutes of driving its gone...:eek:....i allready bring it to the reputable workshop...they ask me to leave the car for a few days for them to diagnoise it...please if somebody having the same problem can let me know what wrong with it...thanks guys....

I think best if you bring your ride to a reputable mech for checking. Try Optimum Kayu Ara. Jason should be able to help. I don't think it's necessary to leave your leave for few days.

In most cases, vibration in steering when braking are due to warp discs.

Check you steering rack bro... Also, Lower Arm bush also may led to this culprit..

wingzee;750249 said:
I think best if you bring your ride to a reputable mech for checking. Try Optimum Kayu Ara. Jason should be able to help. I don't think it's necessary to leave your leave for few days.

In most cases, vibration in steering when braking are due to warp discs.

thanks all...i also think its a warp disc...cause its only happen when the disc is hot..

Fireuz;750258 said:
Check you steering rack bro... Also, Lower Arm bush also may led to this culprit..

thanks bro Firuez i will check it asap...i dont think lower arm bush cause just change it last year...

Ohh ya may try to check your steering rack as well. Leaking is pretty common for our cars. I refurb mine at Optimum 2 months back.

hey bro,

I would check on the calipers first see whether if its moving freely and not jammed. Sometimes if the piston is stucked / sticky, it basically clamping on the disc rotor without any user input. So basically after 30KM of driving with this condition your braking system will definitely overheat hence the vibration. Perhaps after it gets heated up it releases the disc rotor and return to its normal operating condition. The symptoms that you mentioned I experienced it with my MK2 GTi, the solution was to rebuid the calipers using caliper repair kit.

Usually warped rotors you will be able to feel the vibration during braking at all times depending on the condition of your rotors bro.

Just my 2 cents.

valvetronix;750284 said:
hey bro,

I would check on the calipers first see whether if its moving freely and not jammed. Sometimes if the piston is stucked / sticky, it basically clamping on the disc rotor without any user input. So basically after 30KM of driving with this condition your braking system will definitely overheat hence the vibration. Perhaps after it gets heated up it releases the disc rotor and return to its normal operating condition. The symptoms that you mentioned I experienced it with my MK2 GTi, the solution was to rebuid the calipers using caliper repair kit.

Usually warped rotors you will be able to feel the vibration during braking at all times depending on the condition of your rotors bro.

Just my 2 cents.

thanks valvetronix...its make sense....i will check it asap:top:

wingzee;750277 said:
Ohh ya may try to check your steering rack as well. Leaking is pretty common for our cars. I refurb mine at Optimum 2 months back.

thanks bro i will check it to....

Definitely the break caliper piston problem... Mine was clunking and vibrating when i brake too ... then when i purchase the kit and rebuild it... now no more problems...

just an update after a few days of rempit session....its gone now...will update when its comeback again...
thanks guys for the useful info...

Agree with the rest of the forumers, the steering rack is the main issue....i changed mine last week at Bomin and it handles way better now :)

OT abit, julian are u happen to be the one who did the removal of AT cooler yesterday?

I got this problem too lately.. Jerk or steering shaking.. cluck cluck cluck sound.. But problem is seldom.. When I bring to mech, the things not happen. Why lar?

shaiful7;756943 said:
I got this problem too lately.. Jerk or steering shaking.. cluck cluck cluck sound.. But problem is seldom.. When I bring to mech, the things not happen. Why lar?

bro i think caliper problem..same like mine...try to check your disc if its red or extra hot defenitly brake caliper problem...lucky for me its totally gone after sometimes...:)

You may also want to check the lower control arm and bushings as the vibration can be caused by the wear and tear of these parts....

Update: I went to an alignment shop after this clunking come back... and the guy check overall underbody... to my suprise the Control arm bush is shreded... its making my whole steering sytem clunk when going bumps...

check this video...

[video=youtube;83Pw3V8pMeI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83Pw3V8pMeI[/video]

then why my caliper is clunking/knocking

DIY

[video=youtube;LXoBRKQeT44]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXoBRKQeT44[/video]

My E39 steering vibrate whenever slight brake when cruising above 100kmph. Jalan Ipoh said my lower arm. Changed upper and lower arms. Still the same. USJ1 said my front disc brake. Change to original disc and brake pad. Still the same. Then they said my tie rod ada slight vibration. Change both sides. Still the same. Then they said, my rear disc. change also. Still the same. Perhaps next visit he will say, change the car :thefinger:. Went to Pandan Mewah, he strongly suspect my front disc problem. Told him I just change it. He said case happen. if new disc warp, can it be detected visually? Not sure whether there is warranty.

Can wheel cause the problem. If out of balancing, I believe do not have to brake to feel the vibration when cruising above 90kmph. I'm using standard 16inch. Perhaps i should fit my newly refurbished 17inch Style 66 to see the effect.

Caliper? i do get 'nyek nyek' sound when braking during slow move. If caliper, should i change caliper or rebuilt. May i know what is the cost?

Thanks guys for your advise.

zidee;762064 said:
My E39 steering vibrate whenever slight brake when cruising above 100kmph. Jalan Ipoh said my lower arm. Changed upper and lower arms. Still the same. USJ1 said my front disc brake. Change to original disc and brake pad. Still the same. Then they said my tie rod ada slight vibration. Change both sides. Still the same. Then they said, my rear disc. change also. Still the same. Perhaps next visit he will say, change the car :thefinger:. Went to Pandan Mewah, he strongly suspect my front disc problem. Told him I just change it. He said case happen. if new disc warp, can it be detected visually? Not sure whether there is warranty.

Can wheel cause the problem. If out of balancing, I believe do not have to brake to feel the vibration when cruising above 90kmph. I'm using standard 16inch. Perhaps i should fit my newly refurbished 17inch Style 66 to see the effect.

Caliper? i do get 'nyek nyek' sound when braking during slow move. If caliper, should i change caliper or rebuilt. May i know what is the cost?

Thanks guys for your advise.

Just and update. Went back to USJ Workshop. Now only he tested my car properly. Earlier they only test around their workshop. Told him to test above 100kmph. He concur it is brake disc problem. Told him you are the one who change it to so call original. Show him the pic. He said, manufacture defect and guess what NO WARRANTY. Piss off. Change again another disc with so call betul2 original including betul2 original brake pad. Kopak duit raya aku. Now so far so good. Sigh !

Top Bottom