Steering Lock

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

colebruno

Club Guest
Hi all,Just want to know your opinion of using the steering lock. I am currently using the steering lock from STOPLOCK but I really wonder if this helps. Heard from the accessory shop this it can be open easily using a screw driver. Since we already have an effective immobiliser, do we REALLY need this device? It's a bit ma-fun lah.Good to hear your feedback. B)

Originally posted by colebruno@May 10 2006, 11:03 AM
Hi all,

Just want to know your opinion of using the steering lock. I am currently using the steering lock from STOPLOCK but I really wonder if this helps.

Heard from the accessory shop this it can be open easily using a screw driver. Since we already have an effective immobiliser, do we REALLY need this device? It's a bit ma-fun lah.

Good to hear your feedback.

B)
I also heard that UDm owners do not use steering lock. :yes:

I have seen a locksmith by removing the steering lock within 90 seconds by using a screwdriver on my friend car. So it does not help much.

My personal opinion, the steering lock would be the weakest part of the security measures in your car.

If the thief can bypass your car door lock, your car alarm, and your car immobilizer, and your car ignition, then a mechanical lock on the steering would be.... a bit ma fun for the thief, and that's about it. Does that make sense?

Heck, I just lock my car door with the key and walk away.... no steering lock used. If they wanna take your car, there are ways and means to take it. You can put whatever in your car.... no use. They just tow it away. A few hours later, the car is over the border. Happened to my friend's car.

Now if only they take away my SLOTH.... can claim insurance and I get another car.... hee hee.

Just lock & walk away. Steering locks are easy to remove. They just cut one part of the steering wheel, twist it to leave a gap & slide it off! Seen it done in a demo tape.

well, all said is gravely true about steering lock....

however, since it's going to be an extra "mah fan" and more minutes and seconds to get away for the so called thief, which car do you think he'll break into....???

1) the one with a visible "steering lock" or

2) the one without any steering lock?

be your own judge then guys...........good luck!

Originally posted by firefox@May 10 2006, 06:00 PM
Just lock & walk away. Steering locks are easy to remove. They just cut one part of the steering wheel, twist it to leave a gap & slide it off! Seen it done in a demo tape.
This is very true. By law, the have to make the steering wheel in the way if u have an accident, the fireman can cut u free easily. It will take about 2 second to cut the stearing wheel and another 5 second to slid your steering lock out.

I professional theif knows this better than us, so deterant will not work.

Have u ever heard of sucess story that steering lock safe your car????

In addition, it's a pain in the ass for your passanger because u need to put your lock in their space.,

Thanks bro for all your feedback. So I see that there are 2 factors here:

1. The "mah fun" deterent factor for steering lock
2. The lembik steering factor against it

Wonder any thief wanna be here who can give his honest opinion! :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

same here, i dun use steering lock,

apparently, it spoils my leather surface on my wheel... u'll seeee patches there ...

How about brake lock....wonder if the thief wud cut thru the brake as well :rofl:

Been using one ever since....ask me...better hav something than nothing.

Originally posted by manjit@May 13 2006, 02:13 AM
How about brake lock....wonder if the thief wud cut thru the brake as well :rofl:

Been using one ever since....ask me...better hav something than nothing.
yup ,better have something to "mah fan" than nothing!

as to preserve the steering wheel, the steering lock need not be too tight...just nice to get it on and off easily..

just the sight of the steering lock will be as a hindrance to any thief anytime........!

No steering lock for me as well... :D

If they take my car.. I call my insurance company :D
If they take my interior stuff...... :angry: :(

Its a matter of deterrent...if they badly want to take your car....they will take it.

Just like breaking into houses..... locks, padlocks, alarms, guard dogs...all these are only deterrents.

yep steering lock no use lah
thieves nowadays very smart oredy
but 1 thing very effective (i think) to slowing them down is brake+accelerator lock.
the space down there very tight so that they cannot saw the lock.
if you lost the lock's key...thats it lah
u can start dialing bomba for help :D

Top Bottom