Squek + Rattle Noise from the Steering

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Breakpopin

Club Guest
Hello all, Ocasionally i get some squeks + rattling noise from the steering when i turn it (during driving or stationary). It cant be heard from the outside but its very noticable from the inside. Seems to be coming from behind the steering. the thing is, it doesnt happen every time when i drive the car, it happens intermittently.. which is a wierd thing. As some of you know, i'm not in KL (I'm in the Penang island!!) now so i cant bring it to my mechanic (the one who transplanted my engine) to have a check. Can any sifus out there can point out something that may be the cause of this problem? :getyourfactsright:

I'm no sifu but i'm having the same problem... apparently the problem is one or all of the following:

1. Bearing at bottom of steering spindle
2. Bearing at top of steering spindle
3. Steering wheel slip ring

The spindle itself is actually hollow, so even though the lower bearing is down in the engine bay below the firewall, any noise it makes will echo through the steering spindle shaft up into the car's interior. The result is a squeak that sounds like it is coming directly out of the steering wheel.

anyway, its best that one of our resident sifu's give a solution as to how to solve it... heard it could be done DIY.... :yes:

Breakpopin :huh:

I have the same problem with my e36. The squeks got me worried a bit when I'm driving...next thing you know you turn left it goes straight pulak...

Havent got the $$$ yet to get the mechanics to fix it. >RM1k I die loh this month..kebuluran...

Blackrobe, its good to know that it you can DIY it...hope the get the sifus to help out.... :D

Originally posted by mizuan@Nov 29 2005, 12:41 AM
I have the same problem with my e36. The squeks got me worried a bit when I'm driving...next thing you know you turn left it goes straight pulak...

Waaa,... jangan !! hahaha, thats scary..

Anyway i'm going to send it to some mech in Penang to check... hopefuly this saturday.. any suggestions from Penang BMW sifus as to which good/reputable mech i should try?

Zonggeee ill call u later in the evening :ph34r: :ph34r:

Consulted 4 mechanics yesterday about the squeaky noise coming out from just behind the steering wheel.

Mech 1suggested : change lower arm, change steering bearing, change lower arm bush (dunno why need to change the arm bush again after u already change the whole lower arm :angry: ......and its not 100% guaranteed to shut the squeaky noise. Says that I shouldn't be driving the car anymore. very...very dangerous

Mech 2 says its okay to continue driving. No need to change the lower arm coz E36 model you can change the bush only...e46 tak boleh lah :p
But says that the steering rack is loose...need to change that one... :beaten: lagi teruk....

Mech 3 says ok..can continue driving...no problem with steering rack lah...only the lower arm bush need to change...should be able to clear off the noise...

Mech 4 says...tomorrow I check the price for the lower arm bush and let you know the prospective damage to your wallet

May end up at the bengkel entire day today...Mech 4 is on my favourites list...

Would be great to know the right price for this kind of work plus labour from fellow beemers in the group... hope that this will work out right

:rolleyes:

///Perakcepat

Its in Bangi...my brother-in-law's brother has a share in a workshop there...it will be my first time though, dunno if they're good or otherwise....I asked the guy to quote me some figure last night but till now he has not done so....mmmm....his rating is going down by the minute now.....care to suggest me any of the other places you have encountered.... :)

Hey Breakpopin, i've encountered the same problem with you although my model is an E30. Mine was due to the ball joint and tie rod..they seemed to be loose..have ur mechanic to inspect those parts of your car..and they shud be fine..after that..go for a alignment

mizuan: i got mine done for about RM280 as my problem was one sided only.

Originally posted by Breakpopin@Nov 29 2005, 11:23 AM
Anyway i'm going to send it to some mech in Penang to check... hopefuly this saturday.. any suggestions from Penang BMW sifus as to which good/reputable mech i should try?
Try these two:
1. Chu Seng in Jelutong (Counter Hall, just down the road from Auto Bavaria!). Tel #: 04-2813268 - English / Hokkien speaking
2. Happy Motors in Prai, 1 minute from the bridge: Tel#04-5376039 or 019-4179625 - Hokkien / Malay speaking

Happy motors have damn good mechanics, especially the "rambut panjang" guy who looks like a druggie......probably is, and that's why they're called "Happy Motors". I've actually seen people from as far as Kelantan and Perlis come to consult them about their beamers. But they are unscrupulous when it comes to changing parts - tell you its original when its not; so get their opinion and have it changed somewhere else. Or else, make sure you keep an eye on what they're changing. Oh yes, and be prepared the hear a flurry of bad words.......everytime they open their mouth to say something to each other, their opening and closing words will be cib*i or p*ki....you'll be impressed with their vocabulary.

Originally posted by jumpman@Dec 22 2005, 11:53 AM
Hey Breakpopin, i've encountered the same problem with you although my model is an E30. Mine was due to the ball joint and tie rod..they seemed to be loose..have ur mechanic to inspect those parts of your car..and they shud be fine..after that..go for a alignment

mizuan: i got mine done for about RM280 as my problem was one sided only.
thanks for the info jumpman,

I called the spareparts shop yesterday...4 outer control arm ball joint and 2 mounting bush (for both sides) all for RM390...add labour and that fee you pay to use the hydraulic pump to take out the old bush and insert new one, maybe around RM100....

Happy Motors...kah..kah..kah... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: and the vocab.... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Not yet...have to wait til the mech. call to bring the car into the bengkel....after pasang then will know.....will keep all updated for future reference...

........for now, I'm taking some time to pray so that it got nothing to do with the steering rack....

Originally posted by mizuan@Nov 29 2005, 08:41 AM
Breakpopin :huh:

dun play play,happen to me once.drove my dad's E34,turn the steering to the right but the wheels maintain straight.the rack patah wo,no warning punya.lucky that time i about to get out from parking lot.imagine if its happen when i shoot at 160 km/h? :beaten: :beaten:

rm 118 to repair , if is the same thing i did. lower arm bush done it in kayu ara .

Top Bottom