Sprint Booster

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Kill you? Hahaha... from the beginning I stress that this thread is for discussion.

I maybe agree with u on that. As the throttle feels a bit lethargic without it. Revs doesn't goes up as fast as when using it.

This is my layman's point, maybe Daniel (more tech savvy) can shed some light in this.

This is what that booster thing does.

Imagine the entire stroke of your throttle is linear.
e.g. 0%= no throttle input & 100%=WOT.

With the booster you get a higher throttle input with a lower actual throttle input.
e.g. 20% throttle (actual) = 40% throttle (boosted)
40% throttle (actual) = WOT (boosted)

Thus, your usable/variable throttle stroke is reduced from the full length to say 50%. So you get less throtle control.

This is just wat you are paying for.

I know there are people purposely put a thicker carpet to stop the throttle pedal to reach the floor to save petrol. So this device is the opposite of that lor.. :D

Isn't having the sprint booster almost equivalent to driving in "S" mode all the time? It does not increase the horsepower, just adjusts the mapping inputs on the throttle.

Surely if it were that good, BMW would already have used that same mapping themselves?

Just asking, don't marah ha.....

excellent description :top:

but the booster only alters the throttle input.

Daniel;260457 said:
excellent description :top:

but the booster only alters the throttle input.

that's what i was trying to mean, i.e. there is a "map" which tells the ECU how hard you're stepping on the throttle. For example, a step of 1degree may mean input of 1. Sprint booster changes this map and makes it input of 3 for example. This "fools" the ECU into thinking you have stepped more than you actually have, hence the illusion of more power.

If you take out the carpet, you will see some kind of cover where the accelerator meets the floor. If you take out the cover, there are some wires there. Sprint booster is installed between those wires/connections, i.e. in-between throttle and ECU. Put it simply, it is the "racun" telling the ECU to go faster than normal :biggrin:

I have no doubt the sprint booster will make car appear faster, but I guess my own personal preference would be something that directly increases power somehow.

alxy & daniel,
Yes, you are correct. This device will not increase the bhp & torque but the take-off from stand still is faster thus I still think the car fitted with sprint booster (all other factors being equal) will hit the tape first if we do a 100m sprint.

Nope.
0-100 times will still be there same.

In a drag, throttle position will be 0% to 100% in a split second. And that 100% will be maintained the entire way till the end of the sprint.

Whatever boost the booster will give in that split second is not nearly significant enought to make the difference.

Daniel;260560 said:
Nope.
0-100 times will still be there same.

In a drag, throttle position will be 0% to 100% in a split second. And that 100% will be maintained the entire way till the end of the sprint.

Whatever boost the booster will give in that split second is not nearly significant enought to make the difference.

I believe so too, WOT is WOT. I don't think the sprint booster can input more than maximum allowed, so shouldn't be a difference.

Anyone care to experiment :)

yeah i experiment alrdy on my E53 and A4B7, the result is wow! i like it, the power keep on cumming lar and (although i did not time it) 0-100kmh should be faster lah ( dont quote me lar ) but definitely u can feel it ma.

we fitted on an E60 525 and yes there was a difference as what was described earlier in this thread. I guess it is a personal choice. For me, I don't like it coz the car becomes unnaturally agressive, and a bit hard to control especially at corners. I think it is hard for passive drivers too, press a bit, it jumps... if they are not careful enough, press a bit... bumpppp.... sudah kiss la.

planta

Bro, my sentiments exactly. "Unnaturally agressive". Not unless u're racing 24/7 on the road. It seems to keep the revs up, hence, when u need power, it kinda delivers it abit quicker.

planta;283731 said:
we fitted on an E60 525 and yes there was a difference as what was described earlier in this thread. I guess it is a personal choice. For me, I don't like it coz the car becomes unnaturally agressive, and a bit hard to control especially at corners. I think it is hard for passive drivers too, press a bit, it jumps... if they are not careful enough, press a bit... bumpppp.... sudah kiss la.

planta

planta agree wif u that its a personal choice where i like it but not to others.

According to the website, it alters the signal for those who have electronic throttle control (throttle-by-wire?), so, in effect, it electronically boosts the signal the throttle is sending based on your ankle pressure, i.e. boosting your ankle pressure. So, pressing harder will achieve the same effect. It's free, and your ankle gets a workout.

Also, I noticed in the e46 for example, the ETC has a perceptible delay before the engine responds. If the sprint-booster reduces this delay, it will be appreciated by those who like the instant response.

The website lists BMW cars after year 2000 as compatible, i.e. having the ETC.

(Sorry, stumbled into the e46 section by mistake... For older cars, eg, e36, there is another type of spint-booster which is installed in the engine bay, not behind the throttle pedal, seems to work by advancing the timing, tried it in another car, indeed made a significant difference. Took my ankle a while to get used to it because it was harder to control or meter the throttle input as stated above.)

Bro Lee36328, no need to say sorry.... true enthusiasts/sifus are welcome anytime anywhere :)

Top Bottom