Sound Noise After Engine Start

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

hisel

model: E46 318iengine: N42year: 2002i really need your help and advice for my problem, :stupid:when i start my car i hear "grrrrrr" sound from my engine. it just 2-3 second. after that everything become normal. some mechanic said starter motor and some said valvetronic servomotor. easy for me if problem come from starter motor and i'll die:59: if servomotor spoil,anyone here having same problem with me

my mech oso told me the same thing, its the electric starter....problem with the solenoid inside it...
it can be service but to take out the starter u need to remove a lot of thing...thats why mine still pending,hehe..

same here, its the starter .... heard some put relay for rm150 kau tim..

quoted new over 1K and recond for half the price... i might just go for a recond unit ...

if starter... i really happy...(save my pocket)... but why they told me the sound come valvetronic servomotor

Just checking how come ur 2002 model uses N42 and my 2001 model uses N43?

simonso;499071 said:
Just checking how come ur 2002 model uses N42 and my 2001 model uses N43?

i understand e46 just have 2 engine for version N... n42 and n46... correct me if i'm wrong

M43 - 318i
N42 - 318i
N46 - 318i
M54 - 325i
M52 - 328i

DIY - to determine where is problem

1st - remove belt - expect pulley bearing damage - result: still have sound
2nd - pull out VVT servo motor cable - expect servomotor jam - result: still have sound

now 95% i expect the sound come from starter. tired surf internet to search "how to remove BMW starter" anyone here can guide me how to DIY to replace it.

just RM250 recond starter
but mechanic want RM200 for labour cost

hisel;499194 said:
DIY - to determine where is problem

1st - remove belt - expect pulley bearing damage - result: still have sound
2nd - pull out VVT servo motor cable - expect servomotor jam - result: still have sound

now 95% i expect the sound come from starter. tired surf internet to search "how to remove BMW starter" anyone here can guide me how to DIY to replace it.

just RM250 recond starter
but mechanic want RM200 for labour cost

ya bro, that is the rate most mechanic ask for replacement of our starter as they need to remove many thing in order to get access to the starter. btw bro, if u manage to solve it, inform me..would be interested to learn from u :top:

FYI, as for my car, the sound is worst when the car is cold(first time start in the morning).....

kby*88*;499475 said:
ya bro, that is the rate most mechanic ask for replacement of our starter as they need to remove many thing in order to get access to the starter. btw bro, if u manage to solve it, inform me..would be interested to learn from u :top:

FYI, as for my car, the sound is worst when the car is cold(first time start in the morning).....

what is your problem. same with me? sound noise after we start the engine for few seconds.
according to mechanic, we must repair it before flyway spoil.

hi bros

any outcome following the abnormal noise during initial start-up? i have similar encounter with my e46 n42 y03 too.

On all E46 the starter motor is mounted below the exhaust manifold. Need to cool down the engine first in order to dismantle the manifold to change.Due to BMW car are all rear wheel drive hence you can't see the starter motor at all from the engine bay. If your car mileage is more then 100k and above 5 years old.Is time to change. It consider wear and tear parts. The sound is cause by the soleniod is jam and can't return to rest position after ignition. According to the RealOEM.com the soleniod switch can be replaced.The part no is 12417505994. And at the same time replace the 4 teeth carbon brush. The coil winding will not fail at all most of the time is the carbon bush that worn out.
Approach those starter motor repair shop. I think they can repair it. But the problem is more of them don't do dismantle of the starter motor from the car. You need to dismantle yourself and bring it in to repair.If want save the trouble can buy the starter motor at BMW stocklists shop. The orginal motor will cost at least more then 1k.More of them are selling OEM motor also make by bosch. Singapore eng soon or golden link is selling the OEM motor @ S$300

I got the same symptom with my E46 N42 yr02 during cold start. I guess in long run since it will damage the pinion gear which cranks the engine due to the inefficient solenoid. So far I just ignore it but will try to ask my mechanic how much to repair

I encounter the same problem too. It sounds about 3 seconds when start. But until now i just ignoring it. Dont know what actually the problem is. Is the thing going to affect the other parts of my UDM?

Thanks & cheers:top:

Top Bottom