Some recent 7 silis shots...

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Well,since I have experienced on both,I can say the E65 handles better with no body roll compared with the W220. Electronics also less problem. That's why they call the BMW is the UDM...hehe

YaZmEeN;569913 said:
Well,since I have experienced on both,I can say the E65 handles better with no body roll compared with the W220. Electronics also less problem. That's why they call the BMW is the UDM...hehe

Interesting observation Yazmeen.

After all, in the duel between both German marques, Bimmers almost always top the handling and driving dynamics part. If want comfort and quiet cruising, without the need to satiate that inner & occasional rempit, of course the sedate and somewhat stately looking W220 gets the nod.

Before I bought the E38, I test drove the W220 S280. First impression was it was super comfy.... Seats were very comfortable and plush... looks stately. All the bells and whistles are available (its an S-class after all :D). Even the drive was surprisingly... good. Can be driven spiritedly and the adjustable suspension on "sports" mode handles the body roll effectively without compromising on comfort (tho the sales man wasn't too thrilled with me taking corners in a hurry!). I was more or less convinced. Nearly wanted to put down a deposit already, but just wanted to test a few more units and compare prices (it was already sub 150k then).

Fate has it, taikor Vincent posted an E38 for sale (ssmann's car). Price was good too, but missed it by a hair.... luckily found another (my current car now) and after test driving it, it won me over the W220 by 2 factors:-

1. Price (80 - 90k difference - huge enough to overlook the W220 being newer and slightly more bells & whistle).
2. Drive - tho the W220 is good, somehow, the E38 engages the driver a bit more...

The rest is history lor.... :D

Haven't had the opportunity to drive the E65/66 tho.... Bro Yazmeen, mau kasi pinjam?? heheh ;)

Oho. Close shave. To think that you were so close to going down the Stuttgart route. :D Anyways, the W220 ain't a slouch despite it's ungainly appearance. Haha. Even drove a W140 S280 earlier this year, and boy did it feel so solid! Of course, with that shape, it's bound to feel like a tank!

But Andrew does have a valid point. Mercs are almost always one up in terms of standard equipment offered. I mean, to quote Andrew, all the bells and whistles are there, for a car which still commands a fairly respectable price tag even after all these years.

When compared to the E38 though, one wonders why the depreciation bug has hit Bimmer owners so badly. :D But as they all say, one man's loss, is another man's gain.

I mean, who could've ever though that the E38 will be experiencing a renaissance of sorts, especially this year? :top:

Honestly Eggie, there wasn't really much more "bells & whistle". Only 2 I can think of right now are the adjustable suspension and TV monitor, both of which I could've gotten if I had bought a late model E38. I just didn't mind an older car and the fact that i didn't have to take out a loan for it.

andrewk;570297 said:
Honestly Eggie, there wasn't really much more "bells & whistle". Only 2 I can think of right now are the adjustable suspension and TV monitor, both of which I could've gotten if I had bought a late model E38. I just didn't mind an older car and the fact that i didn't have to take out a loan for it.

Woops, my mistake Andrew.

Well, glad you decided to take the plunge anyways! :top:

hahah... I'm glad too! :)

Actually, my point was that IMHO, the E38 is comparable to the W220 in terms of bells and whistle... W220 may have more over the older E38 as it came out much later (in 99 I think vs 96 for the E38), but the later model ones I think would have caught up. Also, some of them are really nice to have (e.g. vacuum door, soft close boot etc.) but you won't really miss it if its not there. Plus, less electronic things also means less things to break down... hahahah!!

andrewk;570533 said:

Actually, my point was that IMHO, the E38 is comparable to the W220 in terms of bells and whistle... W220 may have more over the older E38 as it came out much later (in 99 I think vs 96 for the E38), but the later model ones I think would have caught up. Also, some of them are really nice to have (e.g. vacuum door, soft close boot etc.) but you won't really miss it if its not there. Plus, less electronic things also means less things to break down... hahahah!!

Yep, less electronics = less headache!

Still no takers for my E32. Haha. But I'm still loving every single moment driving it. Treated her to a quick ONR wash this morning before heading off for work. :D

Anyone wish to test drive the S320 W220, i have one available. Better check on more similar car so that u can compare and bargain.

For andrewk, u can get the feel of 735Li E66 from 18th October onwards(boss not around). If u're lucky, u can also test another car with M62TUB44 engine...hehe

andrewk;570533 said:

My friend used to own a W220 s320. According to him the yearly maintenance was costing him at 30k a year. The suspension with Airmatic technology always fail which is the same as EDC in the E38. The cost to replace a pair of suspension then was like 15k per pair. So far the EDC seem like no problem to me.
Look like the Mercedez maintenance is not cheap too.

YaZmEeN;570592 said:
Anyone wish to test drive the S320 W220, i have one available. Better check on more similar car so that u can compare and bargain.

For andrewk, u can get the feel of 735Li E66 from 18th October onwards(boss not around). If u're lucky, u can also test another car with M62TUB44 engine...hehe

Hi Yasmeen, remember to call me to test drive both the car. ;-)

YaZmEeN;570592 said:

Hi Yazmeen,

Count me in too.:D

Cheers :)

wah, if like that then all of u have to come to the house lor...yazmeen only one person cannot drive many cars at one time...haha

YaZmEeN;571599 said:
wah, if like that then all of u have to come to the house lor...yazmeen only one person cannot drive many cars at one time...haha

I think we found a new venue for our next 7er TT.... hhahaha!!

My car got rear ended last night by a trailer as I was on my way home... :( Fella must be dreaming and entered my lane.... damn... and I just detailed the car.... :( :(

Thanks God its not major... right quarter panel dented, bumper trim in pieces and bumper is cracked. I think the sensor is still working tho... hahah.. quality German parts :)

Most probably the car will go in for repairs this weekend if the police can sort out the report, so no beemer to go for TT :(.....

:top:
andrewk;571992 said:
My car got rear ended last night by a trailer as I was on my way home... :( Fella must be dreaming and entered my lane.... damn... and I just detailed the car.... :( :(

Thanks God its not major... right quarter panel dented, bumper trim in pieces and bumper is cracked. I think the sensor is still working tho... hahah.. quality German parts :)

Most probably the car will go in for repairs this weekend if the police can sort out the report, so no beemer to go for TT :(.....

Gosh!!! Im realy sorry to hear this. I hope you are OK. Leave it in Georges' safe hands bro :top:

ssmann;572033 said:
:top:

Gosh!!! Im realy sorry to hear this. I hope you are OK. Leave it in Georges' safe hands bro :top:

I'm ok... car was stable even at impact... wasn't very hard tho....

Yeah, too bad George doesn't do insurance claim, so Albert ask me to send it to Pro Garage....

Top Bottom