short shifter

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

chriseunos

Club Guest
Hi people, im planning to install short shifter to the Getrag 260 gearbox for my E30 325iThe problem is, i've searched other websites and got mixed answers saying that i should bent the selector rod in order to put it in, while others say its just a simple plug and play. My goal is to have a shorter throw on the shifter and most importantly its not notchy. Yesterday drove zoggee's car with a Z4 shifter and i forgot to ask him in details about his shifter. Was too bz drooling over his car.i read some forums saying that z3 1.9 should be sufficient enough and z4 shifters are too notchy, but when i tried zoggee;s one, its perfect!! speechless:eek: Any input is welcome. :rock: Thx youChris

i have the shifter adaptor which is attached onto the bottom of the existing shifter to achieve a shorter throw.. And for my 318i, I would need to bend the link rod to clear the long shaft vibration dampener. But I don't think you'll have that problem.

My shifter adapter is the cheap alternative to getting another shifter.

How much do the Z4 and Z3 shifters cost?

If I remember, the OEM M shifter for E30 is about RM250 or something? IIRC la. :D

evilnickwong;301469 said:
How much do the Z4 and Z3 shifters cost?

If I remember, the OEM M shifter for E30 is about RM250 or something? IIRC la. :D

i got mine for RM290

Ah cool, is that similar to the one on calvintan's website?

How was it compared to the stock E30 shifter?
1) Throw much shorter?
2) Knob sits physically lower?
3) Smoother or notchier action?

:D

Ah cool, is that similar to the one on calvintan's website?
it is from CT

How was it compared to the stock E30 shifter?
1) Throw much shorter?
definitely much shorter, about 40%

2) Knob sits physically lower?
Only few mm. not much difference. the different is the length after the pivot point. the longer it is, the shorter the throw

3) Smoother or notchier action?
it is a little bit notchier, especially reverse and 1st gear. but after a while, you get use to it.

My personal opinion, for daily driving, you don't need the short shifter.

I feel that zoggee z4's shifter notchyness is somewhere between stock and z3m's. Chris, if you use your car as a daily ride, a z4 is more then sufficient. the z3's is more notchy and can be a pain in jams when you are normally in 1st and second. Anyhow i use the z3 version.

found the e30 manual gears are very very longgar (loose)
anything that I can do to limit this.... one way is to use SSK
but it helps about 30% only!!

What do I need if I am gg to change my current one to a z3m manual shift for the e30?? advise pls...

thanks a mil

How much cost if to install Z3 quick shift to E30?? Any mod need or just plug n play?? Need advice....thanks

dpoint, changing all your shifter bushings should fix it, they are probably worn out.

Top Bottom