Serious consideration: E60/E90?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Ashlynn

Club Guest
Hi dear all, I'm new to this forum. Finally, made a decision to upgrade from my '05 Accord to a Beemer :wink: for hope of a bright 2009!!!Problem is, I'm super confused on whether to get the E60 525 Jap Recon 2007 / E90 320 2008 (new facelift+IDrive) as both the price is comparable. At first, I was really enthusiastic to get a white M-sport E60 and spent 3 whole days scouting for the one I really love. And then, I stumbled upon this forum and started looking into what the E60 owners have to say. Honestly, it's pretty fussy to get the E60 cos it seems to me that you'll need to have to spend lots of time and $$$ after the purchase to make things right i.e. fm radio etc.... And I'm the sort of girl who has no patience for hiccups like that.On the other hand, I test drove the E90 2005 for the first time today. It was a 320 but the steering feels so heavy and the interior looks a bit plain to me. After realising that the new facelifted model comes with IDrive and many more goodies, I called to book for a test drive this Wed.My question to all sifus out there (kindly bear with me as this is my first beemer), is it advisable to go for the E60 now or will a new 5 series model appear after 2 years?Would you advise me to go for the new facelifted model or the ori E90? If so, the 320/325?How many years more will this design last before a new 3 series pops up?I would very much appreciate any feedback... My fiancee is buying it for me and wants me to make a decision asap before CNY... Cheers!!!

Such high tech car requires plenty of attention from a knowledgeable service cente... just like how a pretty girl needs attention from her fiancee.. :D

If you cannot put up with those electronic gremlins, best keep your Accord.. be it E90 or E60, they are all the same..

E60 525 6-cylinder full spec 218hp is a more powerful car to drive, its definitely a much better choice compare to the "younger" entry level 320i, despite a brand new 5-series in already in the pipeline.

Just my personal opinion, and welcome to BMW Club Malaysia!

astroboy;385496 said:
Such high tech car requires plenty of attention from a knowledgeable service cente... just like how a pretty girl needs attention from her fiancee.. :D

If you cannot put up with those electronic gremlins, best keep your Accord.. be it E90 or E60, they are all the same..

E60 525 6-cylinder full spec 218hp is a more powerful car to drive, its definitely a much better choice compare to the "younger" entry level 320i, despite a brand new 5-series in already in the pipeline.

Just my personal opinion, and welcome to BMW Club Malaysia!

Thanks for the welcome.....I'm so impressed with this forum. I just posted past midnight and there's response the next morning; really efficient BMW owners here..

But still dear Astro Boy, I'm bored with the Accord already and looking into a newer and latest car. I don't mind putting up with electronics maintenance but it seems a big headache to even get a Jap-spec 525 to get the FM radio, navi started...Like a killjoy to me lol.. I test drove the new C class, toyota mark x, IS 250 and many more but nothing beats my heartbeat with the E60.

Be careful with AP and import duty documents. Some may be fake or stolen vehicles and may land you into heaps of problem. I avoided recons for the same reason. Finance company don't care and don't expect them to examine the authenticity of those documents... all they care is your IC is real..

The other problem with recons is the super short warranty period.. that's the second reason I avoided recons. Proper warranty can potentially saves you tenth of thousands of Ringgit.. BMW parts and labor are not cheap.. make sure u get a trusty mechanic to inspect the car.

desmond1001;385499 said:
don't think 320 lci comes with idrive.only 323 & up models have that.

Ooh... thanks for the feedback... will go to AB for more details tmrw. Cheerios!!!
:)

astroboy;385509 said:
Be careful with AP and import duty documents. Some may be fake or stolen vehicles and may land you into heaps of problem. I avoided recons for the same reason. Finance company don't care and don't expect them to examine the authenticity of those documents... all they care is your IC is real..

The other problem with recons is the super short warranty period.. that's the second reason I avoided recons. Proper warranty can potentially saves you tenth of thousands of Ringgit.. BMW parts and labor are not cheap.. make sure u get a trusty mechanic to inspect the car.

Really? Wow... we pay so much still have to take risk on the vehicle? So complicated.... Sometimes, I look at the mileage of the car and start wondering as well.

Ashlynn,

I would agree 100% with astroboy. Both E90 and E60 will give you headaches. I mean, lots of it. Since your fiancee is going to finance the car, let me ask you whether is he willing to do the maintenance as well? You will be getting less attention because this kind of BMW requires more attention. Can you live with that?

Jap cars are really low mileage because they mostly use their cars during weekends and very short distance drive. Their white collars do not drive to office because most of them live hundreds of km away from work, so they had to take hours of bullet trains for office commuting.

UK imports are mostly higher specs but high mileage cars and exposed to winter salt spray, rusty chassis is unavoidable.

All those of us who purchased a brand new 320i from a local dealers had options for a recond 525i but had settled for the less powerful lower financing interest 4-cylinder 320i for warranty purposes and to avoid all the above risk and potential hassle... sigh*

.. and Ashlynn, the entry level 320i has a missing feature that upsets my missy, which we thought all BMW has... that's the vanity light under the visor.. now she can't check her make up at night.. darn..!

buying recons is like gambling... since they normally give one month warranty on engine and gearbox ONLY! With the exception from Naza which sapu cars in one big batch from auction house... there bounds to be lemons in it, believe it young lady. I'm one of those lucky ones who have bought a good E60 recon model... Japan spec so I know exactly what you are trying to say.
You have mentioned exactly that you don't like the hassle of installing Navi, radio, DVD, etc... so basically you already know unconsciously that you have to buy a local BMW. The new 5-series will be launched sometime end of this year or next year the latest. So it will be viable to get a 3-Series instead.
If I'm not mistaken, all the new facelifted 3-series have iDrive installed in them (check again with BMW). But since you fell in love with M-Sport model... the only option left for you is either 320 or 325 M-Sport... as they come with M-Sport bodykit and better looking sport rims... if that's what you want.
Normally we only buy 3 years old recon car... since 2006 E60 cost about RM280-290k... why don't you get the new 325 M-Sport which cost about RM20-30k extra???? Less the hassle and headache... plus you get the warranty for 3 years. Plus it has the N52 engine too :D just like 525... only in 3-series shell which is definitely lighter and therefore... more powerful... you'll get what I mean when you lay your hand onto one 325 soon... :vroam:
My 2 cents

Hi Ashlynn,

Welcome to BMW Club Malaysia and hope you'd have a pleasant stay here.

I echo similar sentiments voiced out by Astroboy.

You might want to explore the facelifted 323 LCi which offers a balance of power, looks and the new 3 series will not be out the next couple of years since the LCi was only launched last month.

If someone is going to spend more than 2++k on a car, I would get one from the local dealers as it's hassle free when it comes to maintenance and repairs with warranty to boot. And now you can even sign up for BSRI (Basic Service Repair Inclusive) which will take care of the basic maintenance issues like oil change, brake pads and etc, which is perfect for a working lady like you.

Have fun hunting!

Cheers

Why don't you consider the new Audi A4. It's the "in thing" now. E90 and E60 are out. They started to show its age. Only a minor facelift. Let's be honest here people. You'll get totally new car with totally new tecnology with the A4. It is voted as the winner for Australia's Best Car (Best Prestige Car Category) "...the new Audi A4 is the best Audi has ever made. So good is the all-new version that it's also won the prestige title". "......This latest A4 is the eighth iteration of Audi's mid-size passenger car and it's the best yet by far. It's an all-new design inside and out, which has given Audi boffins the right platform to make key mechanical design changes to improve the driving dynamics. The improvements have paid off, with large gains in A4's handling score compared with last year's model, and across the board improvements in the rest of the On-The-Road scores for ride, performance, braking, and smoothness and quietness".

I think Ashlynn should drive a red hot VW GTI, if not a Cooper S.. :D

I see a girl driving an E60, I see a lucky girl born with a silver spoon..

I see a girl driving an E90, I see a material, aggressive career lady wasting no time to have fun in life..

I see a girl driving a VW GTI or Cooper S, one word... "COOL !!"

...just my bias opinion.. :p

Ashlynn;385503 said:
Thanks for the welcome.....I'm so impressed with this forum. I just posted past midnight and there's response the next morning; really efficient BMW owners here..

But still dear Astro Boy, I'm bored with the Accord already and looking into a newer and latest car. I don't mind putting up with electronics maintenance but it seems a big headache to even get a Jap-spec 525 to get the FM radio, navi started...Like a killjoy to me lol.. I test drove the new C class, toyota mark x, IS 250 and many more but nothing beats my heartbeat with the E60.

note the BOLD part... she's into BMW :D
it's the driving experience that matters to her I guess...
I'm sure she'd noticed other brands as well... ultimately BMW wins over her... lol!
Driving E60 or even E90 is easy... but pay attention to the hiccups of your car... but I'm sure all fellow bimmers here are more than willing to extend their help to you :D just look at your thread, posted midnight and so many replies in before noon! lol... girls have their own charms...

thule;385572 said:
note the BOLD part... she's into BMW :D
it's the driving experience that matters to her I guess...
I'm sure she'd noticed other brands as well... ultimately BMW wins over her... lol!
Driving E60 or even E90 is easy... but pay attention to the hiccups of your car... but I'm sure all fellow bimmers here are more than willing to extend their help to you :D just look at your thread, posted midnight and so many replies in before noon! lol... girls have their own charms...

But she hasn't test drove the new Audi A4 yet. Once she does this, it's done.

320i lci sport is around rm245k brand new with no idrive
323i lci standard without sport package rm270k with i drive and comfort access (trust me u'll love this feature)
325i lci sport rm310k with idrive, comfort access

all the above come with 3 years maintenance free and 2 years warranty and have all the accessories such as sat nav/ radio/ blue tooth/ pdc/ and latest software functional.

you can check out ingress or bavaria if i am not mistaken they are having a discounted 523i at rm315k if you really into e60.

for the same money get the brand new one from authorised bmw dealers..not only it has warranty...you'll also get the exclusivity like the 5 star 3S centre, aftersale services etc as compare to buying from gray imports...

Go to Glenmarie Auto Bavaria Premium Selection, recond car from the local authorized dealer itself and 1 year warranty, no worries.

Top Bottom