Selflevel Suspension Inactive

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

mshafizzudin

Club Guest
hi Experts,I just wondering, my BMW X5 3.0 E53 (2004) indicate a message on the dash " SELFLEVEL SUSP INACTIVE". Do this model attached with this function, and it has special button for this. I am confuse, because i cant see any suspension control panel attached on the dash. I am getting this message after changing 2units of o2 sensors (front). Is this message due to the o2 sensor? May I seek your advice.

That indicates that your air suspension has a leak and is no longer working as it should. Look at the car from the back. Do you notice that it is leaning on one side? Our X5 uses air springs and after some years they can wear off and leak. Causing it to no longer able to maintain the car to be level. Some X5 has only the rear air springs (2) While some has both front and rear. (4) problem could be that the air compressor used to pump up the air spring could be gone as well. This compressor is located underneath the spare tyre.

There is no special button and it is not related to the engine issue (O2 sensor) Get your mechanic to check on this as a car without suspension is quite dangerous to drive. Especially our heavy X5.

I had the same message recently after I replaced the rear wishbones. There is some very helpful information about this problem in this thread here http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?47506-X5-Parts-and-Maintenance-Cost

It seems to be a common problem and there are two solutions to this, one is to replace the air suspensions (I was quoted around RM2,400 locally for OEM spares) or second option is to convert to springs (not sure how much that'll cost). The advantage of converting to springs is that the problem will not recur but this can cause other nuances like the ride can be a little more rough, auto levelling will not occur when loaded etc.

Third option is to buy from Ebay the air springs bag. USD260/pair including postage. Any mechanic will be able to fix for you. The brand is Arnotts and they claim it's a lifetime warranty. I heard to convert to regular springs is about RM6k!

Top Bottom