Security for E90...

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

TomJB

Club Guest
Guys...Anyone of you guys install any alarm system on your E90?Due to high crime rate, I always thought of installing an alarm system instead of just the central locking system originally.But then, thought of the worksmanship, I really don't know who should I go to install an alarm system so not to mess up my electronic system.Anyone?Besides, how about entertainment system? Anyone installed?Fellow JBians... Anyone of you installed? Any accessories store to recommend?

Hi Tom, I don't think you need an alarm system because the only way someone can steal your car is to steal your key fob or like the many cases of E60s being car jacked with you in the car.

The electronics in our E90 is quite complex and I doubt many installers can install a 3rd party alarm system without messing up the electronics. There is an alarm system that comes with the BMW E90. You can ask AB on the price and how much to install it.

Just my 2 rupiahs ;)

rookie,

Is it? I asked the salesman before I got the car and all he said to me is don't do anything on it as the OEM central locking and inmobiliser is good enough. He didn't mention anything about alarm system to come with it wor. Bloody hell, cheat my feelings again!

There is an OEM alarm module add on. Our cars are essentially pre wired for this system. Its quite easy to install (one module under the hood, one interior and one in the left rear well. But dealer programming is required.

My $0.02 on this: its a glorified noise maker. It does not provide additional drive away protection, only adds break in alarm and audible lock/unlock confirmation. Well it also make the rear view mirror clown nose blink.

I don't have the OEM alarm and most of the other E90/E92 owners I know, personally, do not have it as well.

In fact you can install the alarm at Auto Bavaria but it will be expensive. In my opinion, you dun really need to install any alarm.

Then I will forget about getting additional arm then...

Entertaiment system?

BTW, DC, hows your 8000k working on? Do you think it is advisable in Msia? OEM is really not bright enough for me at night even after I'd adjusted it...

I feel it is much better with the 8,000K bulbs. I did adjusted mine before when it was on stock 4,350K but I still find it is brighter with 8,000K bulbs.

Oh it was you, DY, who change to 8,000k. So how much you paid for it? I really affraid to get a fake part. Anyway to tell if its a genuine part?

The one I've installed is without brand on it but it is with one year warranty and I got it very cheap as compared to the market price of those with brand. I got it at RM 800.00.

I got it from a friend and according to him, he got it from a "contract manufacturer" for brand like PIAA, Osram, etc. Therefore these bulbs my friend got from this "contract manufacturer" are without brand on it but is offering one year warranty.

I have checked few places and all of them are selling it at RM 1,600.00 to RM 1,800.00. These are brand names like PIAA, Osram, Philips, etc.

In my opinion, dun be so worried about getting fake or genuine in terms of bulbs. As long as they offer warranty, that will be good enough. Well... all bulbs are with "limited" life span.... so you will need to change it eventually. Quality are more or less the same. I would rather pay RM 800 for this than going for RM 1,800 for brand like PIAA, etc. Who knows, it could be the same manufacturer, just only that this is without "PIAA" brand on it (well this is what my friend told me). I bought it because of the price & warranty.

Will show it to you when we convoy to JB :D

Cool... I totally agree on what your friend said... As I am in production field for Japan company, we sometimes acciddently place the part in our car and when friend saw it, just sell them with a very reasonable price... HaHaHa... Its kind of like your friend contract manufacturer... HaHaHa...

Hope to see you guys soon!

Cheers! ENJOY YOUR RIDE!!!

Top Bottom