Screechy brakes

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

crusher

Club Guest
After I changed my brake pads couple of months ago, I have this screech everytime I brake to slow to a halt example at toll booths.Its getting to be irritating. Any suggestions why this happens after I changed to new pads? Is it something to do with the disc?

Yes.... Normally it is advise to change pad + Rotor together unless your rotor is in very very good condition... Also depend on which model

Some people recommend use of copper grease to reduce the sound...never tried it myself.

1. pad if for performance use, need to heat up to higher operating temperature to avoid the screeching sound..
2. the shim on the surface of the pad facing the caliper piston did not apply cooper grease, hence vibration causes screeching sound..

To be honest, all pads will squeal but it's a matter of how loud/bad it is :) The cheap ones will often make terrible squeaking sound and recently I had my front pads changed to OEM Textar. They squeak every time I hit the brakes at low speed. At the same time I found out that there is a proper process to bedding in our brakes:

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

I'm not sure how much it helps but I will certainly try it out once my Stoptech pads reaches here. If anyone of you would like to buy, feel free to PM me, I can help :)

If you want less or minimal squeaking sound, go for ori disc rotor and pad.

crusher;662138 said:
After I changed my brake pads couple of months ago, I have this screech everytime I brake to slow to a halt example at toll booths.

Its getting to be irritating. Any suggestions why this happens after I changed to new pads? Is it something to do with the disc?

Did you do the bed-in procedures, when you change the brake pads? If not do it! It's not too late to do it that will hopefully eliminate the screeching noise ... Also check your rear brake shoe

Where can we do the bed-in procedures as per zeckhausen website above, safely in KL area without endangering ourselves and others? I'll be installing new brakes, pads, sensors and absorbers within these two weeks.

Other drivers might have a nasty surprise when I'm braking rapidly from 90kmh to 15kmh on the NSE....

haywire;662256 said:
Where can we do the bed-in procedures as per zeckhausen website above, safely in KL area without endangering ourselves and others? I'll be installing new brakes, pads, sensors and absorbers within these two weeks.

Other drivers might have a nasty surprise when I'm braking rapidly from 90kmh to 15kmh on the NSE....

Haywire,
I always tap my left leg on new pads softly while the car is moving to give it an even sitting. No sound whatsoever till the end of the pad's lifespan....

aoch88, sorry to disagree but I had a pricey lesson a loooong time ago on my e36. Changed brake pads and it was squeaky and everyone told me that it was normal. So much so I resorted to spraying WD40 on my brake pads to minimize the squeaking but it was only a temporary solution. Cannot tahan and I asked the mech at that time to change it for me. Reluctantly he did and for the 1st few drives it was fine but the squeaking came back. Told mech this was unacceptable cause other cars/bimmers don't squeak! He finally gave in and called another supplier and fixed up the brake pads supplied by them. No sound at all. Visual and close inspection - it was all the same brake pads btw. All ori (supposedly) from BMW but I have my doubts as some may have been cheap knock offs. So, now of days I won't believe the it's like that nonsense from mechs. My current ride does not make sounds and I hardly hear other car brakes on the road squealing as well...so make sure you get the mechs to get it right! After all, it's $$$

desbimmer;662269 said:
aoch88, sorry to disagree but I had a pricey lesson a loooong time ago on my e36. Changed brake pads and it was squeaky and everyone told me that it was normal. So much so I resorted to spraying WD40 on my brake pads to minimize the squeaking but it was only a temporary solution. Cannot tahan and I asked the mech at that time to change it for me. Reluctantly he did and for the 1st few drives it was fine but the squeaking came back. Told mech this was unacceptable cause other cars/bimmers don't squeak! He finally gave in and called another supplier and fixed up the brake pads supplied by them. No sound at all. Visual and close inspection - it was all the same brake pads btw. All ori (supposedly) from BMW but I have my doubts as some may have been cheap knock offs. So, now of days I won't believe the it's like that nonsense from mechs. My current ride does not make sounds and I hardly hear other car brakes on the road squealing as well...so make sure you get the mechs to get it right! After all, it's $$$

Well said, very well said!!

Squeaky pads may not be a bad thing if you can live with the noise.

Most if not all high friction/performance pads have this characteristic due to the higher metallic compound used.

These M3s were fitted performance pads, listen to the squeaky pads when the car comes to a halt.

I changed rear pads at another workshop and I believe they are Tekstar. The fronts were changed at Mspeed not sure what brand

Texstar are good pads for oem use.

Many moons ago, Pussy and myself were the first ones to use this when we bought it from Eng Soon. Later Innerpower started importing these pads which in my opinion is better than the Jurids. Texstar made oem pads for BMW including the M cars. Under normal circumstances, there shouldn't be any squeaks.

desbimmer;662269 said:

Perhaps it's the bedding process after all? I'm not sure but my front textar is giving me squeaks on low speed but rear textar is working fine, lol. I've ordered StopTech from US but I was told that it might squeak as well. High speed braking is fine but low speed braking is annoying (with those sounds around) :)

ALBundy;662430 said:
Texstar are good pads for oem use.

Many moons ago, Pussy and myself were the first ones to use this when we bought it from Eng Soon. Later Innerpower started importing these pads which in my opinion is better than the Jurids. Texstar made oem pads for BMW including the M cars. Under normal circumstances, there shouldn't be any squeaks.

My front Textar is squeaking, I don't know why but it's still relatively new. The reason I got them is because the rear Textar I've had for months seems fine (no noise).

1. Did the mechanic apply anti squeek grease on the back of the pads, b4 installation
2. Did you do proper bed in procedure after installation
3. if u fitted aftermarket pads, it could just be "bo ngam" ie not the right match, between pads and rotors, changing to another brand would work

i changed mine to Textar also for front many months ago. few weeks got squeking also but after that no more noise for me.

Galaxy7;662808 said:
i changed mine to Textar also for front many months ago. few weeks got squeking also but after that no more noise for me.

The squeaking on mine only at slow speed. Yours was like that in the beginning too?

Top Bottom