Screeching sound from rear after using Sports Mode

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ALIAS

Club Guest
Hi all. Silly me was using Sports Mode driving in yesterday's traffic jam. When I reached home, there's a bit of upward slope. Stepped on the gas and the car just won't move. I put the gear to Neutral and then back to Drive. The car moves but there's this screeching noise from the rear. After 2 hours, I went out for a spin. All back to normal. Any idea what was it? Is it the differential? Will it damage the gearbox doing what I did i.e. driving in Sports Mode in traffic jam? BTW, the trans is a 5-speed Jatco. The reason I put it in sports mode is that if I drive in economy mode, it's just so sluggish. Has anybody experienced this screeching noise before? Thanks.

there aren't anything called sports mode on an e36 ...it's just an overdrive kinda switch close to the shifter or when you slam down your exalerator till the floor, you kick down switch will do the work .. is your a japan spec e36 that comes with a jatco 5sp ? Or someone did a conversion for the box ??

Thanks Iceman. Whatever they call it, it's something to make the car drive more aggressively :D. Means more taxing also right?

It's a converted tranny. car started life as a humble CKD 318i.

318 trannies are from the GM series as most comes in 4sp... but since you mentioned yours is a jatco 5sp ..then something is truely not right here for a 318 ..

As for taxing ...nope ..it's more of an immediate increase of power to the upper gear in a short while ...

ya converted to a 6 potter ?

From my personal experience:

E36_M3_Auto_Shifter.jpg

When put on the 'S' mode, the ecu goes on a more aggressive mapping with higher shiftpoints, similar to what ICEMAN said

The 'M' mode or some with 'SNOW' symbol is for slippery conditions and steep grades..

Now the way I see it for "When I reached home, there's a bit of upward slope. Stepped on the gas and the car just won't move", seems you're already on 'LIMP mode' which most likely the 'sun' symbol should pop out on your dash. Turning of your engine and restart should reset those error. This are usually issue on the gearbox and often pop-up when doing your spirited 'S' mode driving. In most cases you can try replacing the autobox solenoids and see if the problems is solved.

About the screeching sound, am not sure, I'm just guessing since on 'limp mode', excessive torque transferred on a lower gear that's causing your longshaft or rear diff to act differently

ICEMAN 68;843421 said:
318 trannies are from the GM series as most comes in 4sp... but since you mentioned yours is a jatco 5sp ..then something is truely not right here for a 318 ..

As for taxing ...nope ..it's more of an immediate increase of power to the upper gear in a short while ...

ya converted to a 6 potter ?

That's right. it's now a 6-potter. :eek:

a Jatco 5-speed will be a mismatch for a 318?

V-Man;843427 said:

E36_M3_Auto_Shifter.jpg

When put on the 'S' mode, the ecu goes on a more aggressive mapping with higher shiftpoints, similar to what ICEMAN said

The 'M' mode or some with 'SNOW' symbol is for slippery conditions and steep grades..

Now the way I see it for "When I reached home, there's a bit of upward slope. Stepped on the gas and the car just won't move", seems you're already on 'LIMP mode' which most likely the 'sun' symbol should pop out on your dash. Turning of your engine and restart should reset those error. This are usually issue on the gearbox and often pop-up when doing your spirited 'S' mode driving. In most cases you can try replacing the autobox solenoids and see if the problems is solved.

About the screeching sound, am not sure, I'm just guessing since on 'limp mode', excessive torque transferred on a lower gear that's causing your longshaft or rear diff to act differently

V-Man, what you said make a lot of sense. Thanks. If it happens again, I'll restart the engine. Didn't notice any sun symbol appearing on the dash though. Gearbox solenoid will be step 2.

Just wondering if the sluggish response in E mode is normal or there's something wrong there? I'm comparing it with my E39 auto, which downshifts immediately when I put my foot down.

ALIAS;843454 said:
That's right. it's now a 6-potter. :eek:

a Jatco 5-speed will be a mismatch for a 318?

Its a little bit of both. You need to know the gear ratios as well as the rear diff ratios

Bang Alias, did u really experience sluggish response with E mode? Or maybe it was in M mode and thats why it was so heavy when it started to move..well, thats my experience with e36 so far

JFT63;844280 said:
Bang Alias, did u really experience sluggish response with E mode? Or maybe it was in M mode and thats why it was so heavy when it started to move..well, thats my experience with e36 so far

Yes JFT. E-mode response is very sluggish. Macam always in one gear too high. Sebat pun tak nak jalan.

Not in M mode. Is Sprintbooster a solution for this sort of sluggishness?

V-Man;843427 said:

E36_M3_Auto_Shifter.jpg

well this explains , but bro does this apply to e46 too? m52b20 , friends car is having almost the same prob .. solenoid prob?

unstopables_7;844628 said:
well this explains , but bro does this apply to e46 too? m52b20 , friends car is having almost the same prob .. solenoid prob?

Any idea if faulty solenoid can be detected by diagnostic tools?

Bro Unstopables, do update what happened to your friend's car. thanks.

ALIAS;847123 said:

well , nothing happened actually , he is still running with it till it gives way completely .. only then to decide whats next.. convert to manual .. maybe :cool:

- - - Updated - - -

ALIAS;847123 said:

well , nothing happened actually , he is still running with it till it gives way completely .. only then to decide whats next.. convert to manual .. maybe :cool:

Top Bottom