Screeching sound from front brake

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

GhostDriver

Club Guest
Hi all,Got an irritating problem with my 325i. Every morning, when I reverse out of my drive way, there is a loud screeching sound coming from the front right side brake. The sound stays there for about 20 minutes then disappears.What I do now is I start the car and leave it running for about 10 minutes while parked then start driving and the sound wont be there. It looks like something needs warming up and the sound is gone.The screeching is only audible when the car is cold, just like after a car wash.Any idea why this is happening.Its really irritating and embarrassing at times.Any help is much appreciated.

Does the sound only appear when moving regardless if you apply the brakes or not? if so it could be the brake sheilds which are slightly dented and being too close to the brake discs. Once warmed up, due to heat expansion, the tolerance increases and it stops squeeling.

Do a visual inspection on the area esp on the brake shields behind the discs to see if they are warped. Best is to take it back to the dealer to get it sorted out. This happened to me before on my E46, and the dealer just used a long screwdriver to knock back the shields into place.

The sound only comes up when braking either going forward or reverse. One more thing to add, the noise only comes up when I brake when in gear (R or D), but not when its in neutral.

My brakes (all 4) is sticky and noisy when cold. Depending on what wheels you are using the sound pitch gets higher or lower. Stock wheel the cold brake squeal was lower in pitch, but the forged Volks, its more irritating and higher pitch. Its totally gone when the brakes have been warmed up. I read in E90 post that this is very common.

Thanks for that info. I'm not on stock wheels anymore. Im on 18" wheels, and yes its a higher pitch. Can you paste the link for the E90 post on this topic please?

Its everywhere :). Just type in E90 squeaky brakes in Google search string, and after that you wont bother to find a resolution anymore :).

LOL...loads of results in Google. Looks like I have to live with it or get some after market pads which I doubt. I'd rather wait for the new 5'er...hahahaa...

Top Bottom